997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

RMS Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Golf31 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryem3
Different opinion for you. If you're looking at an '06, you're looking at a car without a warranty. That is the price you pay for getting a less expensive car. You pay $100k for the car with the warranty. Yes tires are expensive. But these cars burn them up. At least you have the choice of what you would like to add instead of buying a used car with tires that are crap. A leaking RMS on a car with that kind of low miles - most would say that is not a surprise. It is also not the end of the world. And at $1500, not a tragic expense. At least you go in eyes wide open. How about the brakes and rotors? Those are expensive too. With such low miles, unlikely those are an issue. A 4S is a great car and good ones are hard to find. Include the expenses in the budget and pick her up. Many more issues are a used car deterrent. Many that I could name are: paint work, DME with revs above range 4, a modded car, low brakes,etc. Simply put, a used car will not be perfect. It is finding the right blend of exactly what you want esthetically, nominal issues and the right price.

All very good points. I think I stated this earlier but when I negotiated the price of the car I was told the tires were new and that it was in perfect condition. When I sent the car for a PPI, I was surprised to hear of the leak. When I heard that the tires were dead, I was surprised. When I informed the dealer/broker of the leak and tires, he was surprised. I was concerned that there could be other surprises. After a few days of cooling down, I don't think this misinformation was deliberate and I'm sure the seller didn't want to deal with the cost either. I expected a little give on both sides but he came back with a stern price...and that is where it ended.

I have total understanding that I can expect problems with a used car. First, I don't have $100k+ to spend on a new car in this economy. Second, I have never had a Porsche before and truly don't deserve a new one until I learn the car and make the mistakes. Believe me, my true dream car is a 997 TT...WOW, what a car.

This thread has moved from a RMS issue to a learning experience for buying a Porsche....I love it!!! I believe everyone sensed my issues and have made some incredible recommendations. Keep them coming, if I don't use the advice on this one I will on the next.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:29 PM
I was just informed that the car sold today. Thank you everyone. I am better equipped for the next one that comes my way.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:56 PM
jwully is infamous around these parts
Bpr

Bummer. Keep the search going.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Golf31
I was just informed that the car sold today. Thank you everyone. I am better equipped for the next one that comes my way.
I think in the end you'll be glad this car got away. The mis-information about the tires ? Don't kid yourself, it was deliberate as was the RMS surprise. Once a long distance seller gets your money there is nothing you can do about mis or rather dis information. No one misses the difference between new and "dead" tires, particularly on a Porsche.

As others have suggested, I would look much closer to home so that you can get a PPI done and find out exactly what condition the car is in. These cars are expensive to properly maintain and not everyone is all that keen on spending the money to keep them in top condition. You don't want to have to pay $ 50 K for a car and then pay again to bring the car up to spec.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Dadio
I think in the end you'll be glad this car got away. The mis-information about the tires ? Don't kid yourself, it was deliberate as was the RMS surprise. Once a long distance seller gets your money there is nothing you can do about mis or rather dis information. No one misses the difference between new and "dead" tires, particularly on a Porsche.

As others have suggested, I would look much closer to home so that you can get a PPI done and find out exactly what condition the car is in. These cars are expensive to properly maintain and not everyone is all that keen on spending the money to keep them in top condition. You don't want to have to pay $ 50 K for a car and then pay again to bring the car up to spec.

Thank you for the kind words and wisdom. I'm starting to agree with you as I now see that the car had been inspected not long before I had it inspected. I find it hard to believe that they didn't notice the leak or tires at the previous inspection.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Cutters68 is infamous around these parts
Maybe a dumb question but where is the RMS located? Anyone have photos of the area that I should be looking for seepage. I have an 05 997S with built date of 10/04. I have looked all over the bottom of the engine compartment and do not see any oil. I just want to make sure I am looking in the right places. I do have a CPO thru 03/13 so I'm not too worried just want to keep a check on it. My car was a somewhat of a garage queen when I bought it with only 9K on the odometer. I don't track the car but I do drive it aggressively and often. Mainly within the law. For piece of mind would you have the RMS and IMS updated just before the CPO ends as long as there are no issues before 03/13?

Old 11-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
If the bottom of the engine is dry and there are no oil drops on the floor you have no rms problem. Do not think of the rms as a serviceable item ie it is not replaced if it is doing it's job, only if it starts to leak and even then the advice is to wait until the clutch needs repair to save on labor. The IMS bearing can be replaced but it is not a minor repair. If you are optimistic, change the oil Q 3000 miles and check the filter for metallic particles as you go and drive the p*ss out of it. They do fail but the internets kinda give an exaggerated picture. Search the polls on this to see the reported numbers. It is the 05's that are more at risk though. Do a good search and you will find some sad stories but not as many as you might expect. If it is your motor tho....ugh! Tough call. If you are a pessimist and will lose sleep, do the bearing I guess. Sad that owners should have to worry about this. I was an E46 M3 owner when BMW recalled the cars and replaced the main engine bearings. Classy move. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Parkcity911 is infamous around these parts
Can anyone give me an estimated price to do the IMS, RMS and clutch. I'm at 70K on a 2001 with original everything. Also, does cutting the filter open really tell you if you have an IMS issue? Specifically, what do you look for? And, will the LN Engineering magnetic plug catch this same debris? Thanks for any info. Chris

Old 11-19-2011, 05:15 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
RMS is just "another" wear-out item??

I am somewhat amazed at the nonchalance people express when talking about the RMS problem along the line of " it's just another repair that you have to save money for". Why is there a problem and why has Porsche needed several stabs at providing updated versions of the RMS seal and basically, the new seal is still only masking / hiding the real problem. The problem is still that your engine is not manufactured with the tolerances one would expect that a Porsche engine would have been built to. Hence, your engine can implode at any time without warning. I believe that ANY engine that has shown RMS issues ( seepage etc) will have a higher probability of doing that again and again. So, I would run from each and every car that had the repair or has seepage. Just protecting my investment (my wallet). Better still.. invest in the Mezger engine

Old 11-20-2011, 06:57 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
At this point I would start looking for another car, and there are plenty out there for the asking.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:35 AM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Thomas9181
I have a 2005 S and had the IMS and RMS changed out at a Porsche dealer for $2000. This was covered by my 3rd party extended warranty. I also had a complete clutch job ( new pressure plate, new clutch disc, new throw out bearing, and new pilot bearing, etc...) done since the trani was out of the car anyway. This cost an additional $950. So your $2600 quote seems high.
+1
I had a quote for the IMS at about $1350 from an independent and another $20 to replace the RMS. Turned out my 2005 which was built in April of '05 received the updated IMS bearing like the 2006-2008 cars.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:20 AM
socalbd has a spectacular aura aboutsocalbd has a spectacular aura about
You may consider Porsche dealers other than your local dealer. I bought mine in LA, and they had several buyers in from out of state. Indicated that certain high-volume dealers get the absolute pick of the litter on lease returns, advertise them on eBay and then folks from all over buy there. Seemed plausible, their cars were outstanding (many special editions and custom color combos). +10 on CPO.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 AM
scrpionkng is infamous around these parts
definitely agree with pvanosta. Get it fixed and negotiate the price. 2006 and up models came with the latest and greatest seal, as did later 2005 production models especially the S with the M97/01 production engines. Slight seepage can be resealed or get a replacement if that will make you sleep better at night. Not uncommon when car has not been driven. 06 with 12k miles. Had a ppi on a car 3 months ago with same issue, 05 S with only 20k miles. Porsche said it was not uncommon. Would have purchased but deal fell through on pricing. IMO, get it replaced/sealed, get a receipt/warranty for the work and negotiate. Its an 06 you cant go wrong.