997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Gundo Hack today (with removal and re-install)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MBENZF1
Perhaps I'm blind, but can you guys post a link of exact what you guys are doing. Perhaps a step by step walk? I'm comfortable removing my own mufflers, however I can't follow what you guys are hacking.

Also, anyone have a contact in Michigan?
Sure!

Go to my opening post at the top of page one of this thread. My first photo shows the mufflers as stock. My second photo shows the holes cut into the muffler inlet and outlet. My third photo shows a short pipe bridging the holes made on the inlet and outlet muffler pipes. That is the Gundo hack. I hope that helps!

Print out the photos 1 through 4. Go to a local muffler shop and ask if they can do this with a stainless 2" pipe.

Don

Last edited by DoninDEN; 03-25-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 PM
997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough
Gundo hack done! sounds good with my short drive home. Looking to do a canyon run soon to hear it all!

Old 03-26-2012, 05:01 AM
mjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the rough
Recommended shops in NJ to perform Gundo Hack

I am looking for recommendations for shops in NJ that can do excellent welding and make the Gundo Hack. Some know how to weld better than others.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks Mark

Old 03-26-2012, 06:32 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I am looking for recommendations for shops in NJ that can do excellent welding and make the Gundo Hack. Some know how to weld better than others.

Thanks Mark
Welding pipe is what muffler shops do each and everyday. Find one that's been around for 40 years, they'll have plenty of experience welding muffler pipe. Have them use stainless. I didn't and some on this board felt that was a mistake I'll regret in 20 years... But in the end, it's a muffler, so don't sweat it so much.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:06 AM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
Sure!

Go to my opening post at the top of page one of this thread. My first photo shows the mufflers as stock. My second photo shows the holes cut into the muffler inlet and outlet. My third photo shows a short pipe bridging the holes made on the inlet and outlet muffler pipes. That is the Gundo hack. I hope that helps!

Print out the photos 1 through 4. Go to a local muffler shop and ask if they can do this with a stainless 2" pipe.

Don
Thanks Don,

Perhaps I was blind the first time I looked. Pictures helped and thanks for explaining exactly what you did.

My bucket list for the weekend is growing by the hour due to this website. Ordered Front/Rear LED lights, $2 LED hack is a must, I want to sand/polish my headlights (I will have to remove the headlights as it seems you'll blow a module due to static charge) applying Lamin-x protective film and now the Muffler hack! Although I'm not complaining.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 AM
911CSLover is infamous around these parts911CSLover is infamous around these parts

Thanks Mark
I've heard great things about Mufflex from Robbie at Provost. Spoke with Denny (owner) and he quoted $250.

http://www.mufflex-performance.com/

Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 AM
mjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 911CSLover
I've heard great things about Mufflex from Robbie at Provost. Spoke with Denny (owner) and he quoted $250.

Many thanks for the recommendation.

Mark

Old 03-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by 911CSLover

Spoke with Chris at Mufflex. A bit high for what should be about a $200 job.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Spoke with Chris at Mufflex. A bit high for what should be about a $200 job.
What is a bit high? I've never seen it done for $200. $250-$300 (depending on the materials used) is more the norm.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by denversteve
What is a bit high? I've never seen it done for $200. $250-$300 (depending on the materials used) is more the norm.
The quote was more than your high end amount. And that is after one of our members was quoted $250 from someone else at the same muffler store (the owner was not in). I could call back and ask for the owner this time and get a price check.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
I just got my done at a local shop here in Portland (Exhaust specialties - awesome service and recommendation from BLKonBLK911C4S). It cost $200 and I tipped him $20 for going the extra mile of finishing up my car at the end of a business day.

I haven't had a chance to test out the change but I look forward to doing it this weekend.

Attached Images  

Last edited by mark12345; 04-13-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:36 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Sub.

J

Old 04-14-2012, 04:47 AM
Originally Posted by mark12345
I just got my done at a local shop here in Portland (Exhaust specialties - awesome service and recommendation from BLKonBLK911C4S). It cost $200 and I tipped him $20 for going the extra mile of finishing up my car at the end of a business day.

I haven't had a chance to test out the change but I look forward to doing it this weekend.

Very good price. Most exhaust shops near me quoted $350 for doing the gundo hack with stainless steel pipe and appropriate welding materials. About $250 for non stainlesss steel (which is not recommended since the existing system is stainless).

Mark

Old 04-17-2012, 02:28 PM
SlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of light
Gundo Hack in Atlanta

Atlanta Gundo Hack
Just got the Gundo w/ 2" stainless pipe.
Highly recommend this little exhaust shop - what a gem of a find! Owner is Jose and his shop is located right in the heart of mid-town/buckhead. I was super impressed with his service and his shop was abolutely spotless.

here are a few more reviews.
http://local.yahoo.com/info-13709124...fflers-atlanta

Give him a call or stop by his shop - 770-872-7220

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gundo Hack today (with removal and re-install)