997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Water pump- a DIY project?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Vladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura about
Water pump- a DIY project?

It's been confirmed that I need a new water pump..

I can get it from Suncoast for $219 plus the coolant. Is this something I wanna do myself or pay indy $400?

Any instructions you guys know of on the site?

Thanks!!

Old 09-08-2011, 11:53 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Water Pump

Looks like you'll need a hoist and engine support:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...ement-on-997s/

Old 09-08-2011, 03:26 PM
LambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these parts
Special vacuum fill tools for the coolant. WOW DIY suck on these cars! I'd probably find a Porsche Tech that opened his own shop. We have one here in Nashville, TN.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
If your Indy will do the job for $400 I would let him do it. By the time you buy antifreeze and pay for the shipping you won't save much more than $100.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:43 PM
aproo is infamous around these partsaproo is infamous around these parts
Make sure you remember to get the gasket for the water pump. Since you are at it, you might want to check or upgrade to the low temp thermostat.

As with the rest, i suggest getting someone familiar to do it. Even though it looks easy, i would rather have a piece of mind by getting someone with the proper tools to fix it.

Good luck..!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:54 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Even though it may look like an easy job and very well may be.....my worry would be bleeding the cooling system of any air that gets in the lines,that to me is crucial,especially with having the radiators in the front of the car!
IF all you are going to save is a couple of hundred dollars....IMO,NOT worth it!

Cheers,

Stacy

Old 09-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Vladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Alan C.
If your Indy will do the job for $400 I would let him do it. By the time you buy antifreeze and pay for the shipping you won't save much more than $100.
$400 would be for the labor only. Now it's bothering me, feel like a challenge to do it myself. Oh, and the Uview 550500 Airlift tool is about $105 which makes replacing/bleeding the coolant a much easier task.

Decisions,decisions,

Last edited by Vladm; 09-08-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by aproo
Make sure you remember to get the gasket for the water pump. Since you are at it, you might want to check or upgrade to the low temp thermostat.

As with the rest, i suggest getting someone familiar to do it. Even though it looks easy, i would rather have a piece of mind by getting someone with the proper tools to fix it.

Good luck..!
Thanks for your reply!
What are the benefits of the lower temp thermostat?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
If you are confident you can do it and like a challenge I'd say go ahead based on a $400 savings.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Well, its not really a $400 savings unless you really had nothing better to do the entire day it will take you to get that done.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 PM
aproo is infamous around these partsaproo is infamous around these parts
Normally the factory thermostat opens at approximately 185F thereabouts, the lower temp version opens at 160F which allows the coolant to cool the system faster.

For me personally, it is a precaution thing hence i just installed it.

Originally Posted by Vladm
Thanks for your reply!
What are the benefits of the lower temp thermostat?

Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Well, its not really a $400 savings unless you really had nothing better to do the entire day it will take you to get that done.
True. However, if you enjoy working on your car and get a sense of accomplishment it is still a pretty good deal. I can see this as being far more productive and gratifying as opposed to going to a Bengals game.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:41 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
996 Water Pump Replacement

Although this is not a 997, it gives you a pretty good idea of what is involved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0L0klF8lVo

Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
Originally Posted by aproo
Normally the factory thermostat opens at approximately 185F thereabouts, the lower temp version opens at 160F which allows the coolant to cool the system faster.

For me personally, it is a precaution thing hence i just installed it.
I would not do this. The purpose of a thermostat is to regulate the flow of coolant through the engine. The coolant needs to spend the proper time in the engine to achieve the heat transfer. Otherwise you wind up with "hot spots" or areas of inccorrect cooling that may not be apparent to the temperature sensor. You gauge shows that everything is fine and cool, when in reality it may not be.

This is why you should not remove the thermostat, and or replace it with one that was not intended for the application.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Project finished! Kind off PITA but it worked out! If anyone needs advice/help with a water pump- I'm here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Water pump- a DIY project?