997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Any one researched and tried different tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:04 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Any one researched and tried different tires?

I have an '07 Targa 4S and I'm looking at getting a new set of tires. I am wondering which tires will give me the least road noise, smoothest ride and longest life?

I have Pirellis now and they generate a lot of road noise. But, for all I know they may be relatively quite tires on a 911. I am leaning toward Michellin Super Pilots, only because I have had good results with Michellins on OTHER vehicles, which does not seem to be a very good reason.

Where is the best place to buy the tires? I have been very impressed with Discount Tire's service over the years, but I like to throw my Indy as much business as I can. My question is related couple things. First, is there a preferred performance vehicle tire source?

And second, my Indy who is a very straight shooter told be that rear tires will last 8,000 miles max. The Michellin's are warranted to 30,000 miles and if they wear out around 8,000 miles, I will gladly want my 73% warranty credit on the next pair and my 47% warranty credit on the third pair and my 20% warranty on the fourth pair. I wouldn't want to hassle my Indy over that garbage and Discount Tire is open on Saturdays.

Do tires wear out much faster than warranted on 911's (specifically 997's) because of the weight on the rear?

Do tire manufacturers exempt 911's from the warranty? Sounds crazy, but thought I'd ask...

Finally, are there independent reviews of tires on 997's out there? If so are they any good?

Old 09-12-2011, 02:07 AM
PKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura about
----

Last edited by PKing Fast; 10-09-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:51 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
I went from Pilots to Hankook Evos and I've been pleased with the road noise level and ride. And they were much cheaper.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:36 AM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
any of the soft Z tires are going to wear the quickest. The more expensive, the faster they wear out. Buy cheaper tires so you can afford to change them more often. Falken, Nexen, Hankook etc

Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
You might want to look into the Pilot Super Sports if handling is high on your list.. Due to the stagger I believe Michelin offers 1/2 the tread warranty for the rears. If cruising is your main goal a set of Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs or Hankook Ventus V12s might be the ticket.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
Originally Posted by Alan C.
You might want to look into the Pilot Super Sports if handling is high on your list.. Due to the stagger I believe Michelin offers 1/2 the tread warranty for the rears. If cruising is your main goal a set of Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs or Hankook Ventus V12s might be the ticket.
This.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:43 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
I put on mich super sports after wearing through the pirellis. Big improvement in ride quality and handling. Warranty is 15K miles for non-rotated, which is still very good IMO. Also have 5 track days on them so far from hard rain to 85 and sunny and very pleased with how they performed and have worn.

That said, if u don't track, the Hankooks seem like a solid option based on C&D's reviews, this forum, etc.

I buy from tirerack.com as do many others on this forum. Good pricing and service.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:24 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PKing Fast
Can't go wrong with Continental Extreme Contact DW. Plenty of grip in the dry, amazing in the wet, and relatively quiet.

I live in SOCAL where the weather is 90% dry, but we still get wet days at random times. Since the car was a daily driver, longer tread life was also desirable. Did tons of research and eventually decided on either the Goodyear F1 Asyms or Conti Extreme Contact DW's, which based on technical reviews and forum opinions, were the best bang for the buck in terms of the points you mentioned above, in addition to having great wet performance.

Haven't actually tried them on a Porsche, but I've driven moderately worn CSC3's on an SLK55 AMG and PS2's on a E46 M3 in the wet and both are hydroplane monsters. Any bit of standing water and the steering gets light and your heart skips a beat. Not cool at all, especially when you're 30 miles away from home driving in 10-25mph rain traffic, and the car feels like it will slide into the other lane at any second, the ENTIRE time.

I tried out the DW's on the M3 and couldn't be happier. The M3 was mashing through huge puddles like it was a jeep. Steering feel was a tad bit "mushy" compared to the PS2's, and while they are consistent in spirited driving, the traction limit was a little harder to predict - sometimes when cornering and I feel like should've ran out out of grip, the DW's always gave a little bit more traction when I was expecting to slide.

PS2's were about $350 and DW's $225 - the trade-offs were well worth it, a marginal loss in grip, but relatively long tread life, and no more involuntary near-death experiences in the wet.

Also, keep in mind that with different wheel sizes front and rear, you can't rotate your tires, which is often a condition of the pro rata warranty.
Thanks!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Recalcitrant
This.

Huh?

Old 09-12-2011, 10:29 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Sorry, meant Ventus not Evos.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by KonaKai
I put on mich super sports after wearing through the pirellis. Big improvement in ride quality and handling. Warranty is 15K miles for non-rotated, which is still very good IMO. Also have 5 track days on them so far from hard rain to 85 and sunny and very pleased with how they performed and have worn.

That said, if u don't track, the Hankooks seem like a solid option based on C&D's reviews, this forum, etc.

I buy from tirerack.com as do many others on this forum. Good pricing and service.
When you buy from Tire Rack, who does the install and who services them if you have issues? If you have them shipped to your Indy, do you get charged for mounting everyhme you have to have service on them? Do you rotate the rears and front side to side on these? How often?

Where can I find the reviews?

Thank you!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
Huh?
He was quoting Alan, this means 'what Alan said'

Originally Posted by DoninDEN
When you buy from Tire Rack, who does the install and who services them if you have issues? If you have them shipped to your Indy, do you get charged for mounting everyhme you have to have service on them? Do you rotate the rears and front side to side on these? How often?

Where can I find the reviews?

Thank you!
Get the price from tire rack and have discount match price, they will always match. Mount and balance will be charged every time you do it. If you need to rotate bc of uneven tire wear , you probably need an alignment. Reviews can be found on tirerack.com.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cavsct94
I went from Pilots to Hankook Evos and I've been pleased with the road noise level and ride. And they were much cheaper.
I went from Contis to Hankooks. I have about 3000 miles on them and I love them.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:32 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
enjoying the PS2's.. quiet and sticky.

i had pirellis before.. noisy and hard.

also had the Hankooks.. cheap but scary at high speed.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:26 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I'll let these guys interject with their opinions. Call me for mine

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any one researched and tried different tires?