997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 bluetooth/iphone issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Slowpoke is infamous around these parts
997.2 bluetooth/iphone issue

Hi guys,

I can't seem to get my PCM (the touchscreen version) to find/sync/connect with my iPhone 4, is there any fix to this?

I have a C4S PDK Cab -10

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:54 AM
fgv1it has a spectacular aura aboutfgv1it has a spectacular aura about
Try having the phone search and find the PCM, rather than the other way around. There is a note about this in the user's manual. I noticed it recently when I was trying to pair my wife's iPhone to her new Boxster (same PCM). Apparently, with some newer iPhones and Ipods, the PCM can not find the devices. The phone or device has to find the PCM.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:42 PM
manishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud of
had the same problem with mine 09 C2S & iPhone4, ended being a bad phone. Make sure to reset iPhone (backup obviously) and see if that does the trick. otherwise to the apple store for swap

Old 09-21-2011, 02:52 PM
alirob is infamous around these partsalirob is infamous around these parts
My iPhone works perfectly in my 09 C2S. I find that if the iPhone is in the Bluetooth mode before the engine is started, the phone is recognized by the PCM every time.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:00 PM
911BE is infamous around these parts
Had the same problem with my '12 had to make the iphone search for the PCM not the other way around.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:00 AM
I've tried that as well, doesn't work. I also tried a friends iPhone 4 and same thing there, he doesn't find the car and the car doesn't find his phone..

Tiresome, I miss having bluetooth in my cars..

Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Did you try a non-iPhone... to ensure it works there?

Old 09-23-2011, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by Minok
Did you try a non-iPhone... to ensure it works there?
Actually I haven't, I will try that later today and let you all know. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 AM
Update, I spoke to the dealer and the f***ers are saying I have to pay 70 Euro to de-activate the phone modul in order for the iPhone to work. Isn't this a pure ripoff? My car is under warranty!?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:41 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
OK, I am confused. You have the built-in phone module whereby you could take the sim out of your iphone and use it in your car but you also have the BT module and it doesn't talk to the iphone? Additionally, you haven't yet tried a non-iphone BT enabled phone to see if pairs with the car? Do you know that you actually have the BT module in the car? It wouldn't normally make sense to option the car with both modules BUT if P allowed this type of install the PCM should allow the use of one or the other at the driver's selection but not both.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by jster
OK, I am confused. You have the built-in phone module whereby you could take the sim out of your iphone and use it in your car but you also have the BT module and it doesn't talk to the iphone? Additionally, you haven't yet tried a non-iphone BT enabled phone to see if pairs with the car? Do you know that you actually have the BT module in the car? It wouldn't normally make sense to option the car with both modules BUT if P allowed this type of install the PCM should allow the use of one or the other at the driver's selection but not both.
Yes, I have the built-in SIM slot in the front of the PCM and I of course have bluetooth, we once paired a friends iPhone for like 10 seconds so yes, they are both there.

No, I called the dealer instead of trying a non-iPhone and the above is the answer I got, a rip-off and a true example on how Porsche sucks in their strategy.

And another thing, how can they NOT have SD slots and/or iPod integration, I haven't burnt CD's since WWII

Old 09-26-2011, 02:34 PM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
Ok, I have the sim slot as well but I don't have the phone module that goes with that slot (N.A. car) and that is why I was asking whether you really had both. Have you tried the sim slot? Again I could see a factory coding error if you have both.

In general, I have had the PCM BT module pair with three or four different phones so the module is fairly robust. In fact a phone that didn't pair very well in a BMW paired very well in the Porsche.

If these were factory installed options and you have seen the car briefly pair with the phone through BT and now you are unable to do it, I would agree with you that this is a warranty issue. However in my experience (see below issues) one often gets stuck between Porsche (or BMW) and the phone, music player, or memory stick provider as to who is at fault. I have had to get the Porsche regional tech involved to override the dealership with my PCM-ipod/memory stick issues. I don't know if it is the same in Europe, but in the U.S. if the dealer replaces a part but it is found to "work" on return the dealer is charged for the part. Since dealers, at least in N.A., are really, really bad about trouble shooting the consumer electronics portions of the car (to be fair they really don't have diagnostic tools for the CE stuff) they often stop and say there is nothing more they can do. This is why I say you might have to get the regional tech involved.

These cars do have ipod integration if you have the universal audio interface. It may not work correctly all the time (my ipod is on the approved list but I have to plug/unplug the ipod every time for overnight or the car will allow the ipod battery to drain) but the ipod will play music through the car and the PCM will control the ipod.

The UAI also allows USB sticks to be used and will work, at least in my case, with sicks up to 64GB. Now the PCM burps from time to time and it loses its place in the track list and starts over but when it works it does play the music and is controllable thru the PCM.

All that being said if you can hook it up thru the UAI USB slot you could use sticks, low power hard drives or whatever else pretends it is a USB compliant drive and thus you don't need to use a CD or DVD full of mp3s.

Originally Posted by Slowpoke
Yes, I have the built-in SIM slot in the front of the PCM and I of course have bluetooth, we once paired a friends iPhone for like 10 seconds so yes, they are both there.

No, I called the dealer instead of trying a non-iPhone and the above is the answer I got, a rip-off and a true example on how Porsche sucks in their strategy.

And another thing, how can they NOT have SD slots and/or iPod integration, I haven't burnt CD's since WWII