997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

"The Car Show" suck? - and seats with a mind of thier own.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
"The Car Show" suck? - and seats with a mind of thier own.

So does anyone else think the Car Show is dead and useless. It was almost watchable at the start but has become a 'look at Adam's cars' fest. Who wants to see that. Ugh. And then between then and the US version of Top Gear, what is it with these 'lets compare car A to car B' segments where they don't do any actual measurements or rankable competitions but just generally film the cars going about and just jibber-jabber on about them? Or worse, compete in something meaningless to the class - like drag racing a pickup, or burnout length in a .. well anything.

Anyway, it has happened at least twice now (6 mos appart) where I'll get in the car and the inflatable bladders in the adjustable seats in the 2009 have gone to full-inflation and the seat feels horrible... of course I don't always notice immediately.

Now I'm wondering a few things:
  1. What the hell has the seat just adjusting its inflation
  2. Why the heck isn't the key association working. Pressing the seat memory button does - that takes the seat inflations to where they should be, but the key isn't doing it.
  3. Is this related to the odd-ball "audio system forgets it was on mute when I shut the car down 15 minutes ago" sort of design nonsense?

Old 09-22-2011, 01:04 AM
PKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura about
----

Last edited by PKing Fast; 10-09-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:50 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Minok
Now I'm wondering a few things:
  1. What the hell has the seat just adjusting its inflation
  2. Why the heck isn't the key association working. Pressing the seat memory button does - that takes the seat inflations to where they should be, but the key isn't doing it.
  3. Is this related to the odd-ball "audio system forgets it was on mute when I shut the car down 15 minutes ago" sort of design nonsense?
Hate to say it, but it sounds like a valve failure. I suspect the computer thinks the seat is already adjusted according to the settings associated with your key, but pressing the button causes it to ignore wherever it thinks it left the seat and re-home to those positions. I'll explain that further if you really care, though it's only a guess in any case. But the last time I saw that symptom with a pneumatic seat feature, it was a leaky valve.

Yes. The Car Show sucks. Watched half the first episode and turned it off.

Gary

Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 AM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
I watch it just cause there are limited car shows or any shows that are enjoyable on tv these days !

Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
The guy that works with the newspaper is interesting with his driving gloves and pastel wardrobe!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
I watch it just cause there are limited car shows or any shows that are enjoyable on tv these days !
This.

It's better than the car shows that DON'T exist.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
I enjoy the show. I don't think it's a very technical show. But, in my opinion, they usually suck. I am happy to call it entertainment and not a true car evaluation show. Good cast and usually good topics. American Top Gear needs some cast change. i don't like their chemistry. Oh well, to each his own!

Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 AM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
I'm actually enjoying American Top Gear. Season 1 was stiff, but the hosts have developed chemistry and the banter is fun to watch now. You can really sense their excitement driving nice cars unlike all the other American car shows. Sure, it's still not as good as the original, but it's still miles better than anything else. I even think American Top Gear is way better than Australian Top Gear and 5th Gear.

I've stopped watching the Car Show because it's downright painful.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:37 AM
sullivas is infamous around these parts
Yeah they just can't seem to get the car shows with the right formula. I personally don't know what that formula is, but when I see it I'll know!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:21 AM
911BE is infamous around these parts
I personally think that Motorweek is a much better show even though i feel their reviews are quite bias toward the Detroit Big 3.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:52 AM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 911BE
I personally think that Motorweek is a much better show even though i feel their reviews are quite bias toward the Detroit Big 3.
Seriously? I can't stand the host's voice, and the format is so rigid and boring that it's like watching paint dry. I'd rather read an article for the performance stats of a vehicle. If I'm going to watch a TV show about cars, I want to be entertained.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Majac4122 is infamous around these parts
I like the car show much better than american top gear. I want to see new cars, cool cars, rare cars, exotic cars...etc. I don't want to see how $2000 can be spent and what you can do once you buy these horrific cars. A little bit of comedy helps the show move along but enough of the stupid funny jokes and antics. I dvr american top gear and fast forward through all the bs stuff and only watch 10% of the show that has to do with real cars. I liked the car show initially, but it seems to going down that same road. The show should be 80% cars and 20% humor....not the other way around.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:10 PM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
I am afraid I am with those that do not like the Car Show. It is not very good. American Top Gear is also not very good but more entertaining to watch!

Old 09-24-2011, 04:10 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I like the Car Show. I think the chemistry between them is good. There's a good mixture of jokes, data and randomness. I like the 60 seconds part where they talk about industry news to keep us somewhat informed of happenings in the auto industry. American Top Gear, is really bumming me out. Chemistry in season 1 was terrible, getting better now it season 2, but the show is full of fluff and filler. Do they ever plan on actually testing cars? It also sometimes seems like they all just rag on each other no matter what. All three of them could be in awesome cars and rather than unbiased opinions of each car, they try to make the case why theirs is so much better than the others. That gets old REALLY fast. They both have potential to be good shows, The Car Show is pretty good in my opinion, but ATG has a way's to go. UK Top Gear is for sure the king of them all, but if you watch OLD episodes, they were still trying to find their winning formula as well. Instead of all the banter and useless gimmickry that ATG has, it'd be nice to actually see what all three of the very different drivers think about a car rather than just raggin on it because it wasn't the car that they chose. It'd be nice to see them actually test cars and give opinions from 3 different people. Also, I know this is nit-picky, but they don't seem to give "The Stig" the respect that he deserves They just announce him like he's a necessary evil of the show and to those of us who watch UK TG, it's really fun to see how they build him up in their introduction: UKTG :Some say, he's actually dead... But the Grim reaper, is too scared to tell him... All we know is, he's called The Stig!" ATG: "So we wanted to see how the car performed on the track, so we gave the car to The Stig" BORING!

But, all things in perspective, I'm glad we've actually got all 3 shows to watch! I just enjoy some better than others.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:10 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
We just got BBC America on our cable system. Been watching the original Top Gear marathons and losing a LOT of sleep. LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "The Car Show" suck? - and seats with a mind of thier own.