997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Black OEM Rims and Lug Nuts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:30 PM
ato911 is infamous around these parts
Black OEM Rims and Lug Nuts

I ordered my 997.2 C2S with the rims painted black. I was disappointed to see that the lug nuts were not painted black. Then I figured that if they were painted black, they would probably get scratched when the the rims/tires were removed.

I just found out from Porsche of Hawaii that there is a company that sells black plastic lug nut caps that can be also removed with a tool that they include. Without hesitation, i purchased a set. They look awesome and match the black paint perfectly. The company is Otis Inc LA. i no longer have to look at my black rims with silver lug nuts. Sorry no pictures.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 09-23-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Active link to commercial non sponsor
Old 09-23-2011, 06:06 AM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
Had them for my 76 911S, many years ago, I forgot about them until now.
They were nice.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I painted mine with a can of matte spray paint from home depot, it does the job and works but if you take out your wheels a lot, then the paint will rub off but it's really easy to spray them again. You can get the special sockets with rubber inserts to avoid rubbing off the spray paint if you like.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Ynot
I painted mine with a can of matte spray paint from home depot, it does the job and works but if you take out your wheels a lot, then the paint will rub off but it's really easy to spray them again. You can get the special sockets with rubber inserts to avoid rubbing off the spray paint if you like.
I was a proponent of that approach, but I'm finding that's it's not working out too well. I can't seem to prevent the shops from f'in it up. So - with good recommendations for this item, I think I'm in. I see they're pretty reasonably priced ($18 shipped) on flea bay...

Old 09-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jack667
I was a proponent of that approach, but I'm finding that's it's not working out too well. I can't seem to prevent the shops from f'in it up. So - with good recommendations for this item, I think I'm in. I see they're pretty reasonably priced ($18 shipped) on flea bay...
Yeah, it does rub off quickly if you don't have the proper tools and shops are not going to care if your paint rubs off so the plastic is probably a good idea. I usually take wheels of myself so I am a bit more careful with it. Even when I need new rears tires. I take them off, put them in my minivan, have them mount and balance and install the wheels myself. Yes a bit ****, I'm afraid they might ruin my front lip b/c it is really low, they don't jack up my car correctly, etc.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 AM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
all different lug bolts on ebay

Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Former Vendor
Formula43 Wheel is a jewel in the roughFormula43 Wheel is a jewel in the roughFormula43 Wheel is a jewel in the rough
Another option is to convert to studs and use the older Porsche aluminum 14mm ball seat lugnuts in a black anodized finish. Expensive option and yes they do get nicked up during removal and installation with a non protective socket.

Here's a link for these: http://www.boothedesign.com/boltsstudslugs.html

Protective Socket: http://www.boothedesign.com/miscellaneous.html

Old 09-23-2011, 08:34 AM
ato911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jack667
I paid $19.99 for 20 black lug nut caps, which I feel is a reasonable price considering how great they look. However, the shipping charges came out to $25.00. We live on a rock in the middle of the ocean, so we do have to pay crazy shipping fees. Also, I am sure that certain companies mark up the actual shipping costs to make more money. Oh well, I guess that I can't complain because the caps makes the rims look 10 times better.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Formula43 Wheel
Another option is to convert to studs and use the older Porsche aluminum 14mm ball seat lugnuts in a black anodized finish. Expensive option and yes they do get nicked up during removal and installation with a non protective socket.

Ralph supplys good products...but I wouldn't buy the protective socket. The plastic insert in the socket doesn't last long at all. If anyone's interested I have an unused set Boothe's black bolt/studs that I'll send out for shipping costs. PM if interested.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Ralph supplys good products...but I wouldn't buy the protective socket. The plastic insert in the socket doesn't last long at all. If anyone's interested I have an unused set Boothe's black bolt/studs that I'll send out for shipping costs. PM if interested.
PM Sent!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 AM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Formula43 Wheel

dumb question alert:
what is the process for this conversion from lugbolts to studs+lugnuts and what is the typical cost?

thanks in advance.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Former Vendor
Formula43 Wheel is a jewel in the roughFormula43 Wheel is a jewel in the roughFormula43 Wheel is a jewel in the rough
The conversion is easy. Use red Loctite on the new bolt and thead into the hub and torque to recommend specs. from the supplier. Make sure you have enough thread engagement for the lugnut and also not too much as the stud will push through the aluimum lugnut easily. Torque the lugnuts to factory specs. as well.

The stud/lugnut conversion makes taking the wheels/tires on and off much easier. If your doing alot of track days and switch out tires and wheels often and don't mind a less appealing lugnut use a open end steel lugnut, much less expensive and more durable.

Here's a couple of sources for these items:
http://hartmannwheels.com/hardware
www.hrsprings.com
http://www.boothedesign.com/boltsstudslugs.html
http://www.wheelenhancement.com/inde...t=AccLugsLocks

Old 09-23-2011, 02:51 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
won't work for me, they would melt

Old 09-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
For the track here is another option:

http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs...Details363.cfm

Old 09-23-2011, 10:12 PM
PorscheBarry has a spectacular aura aboutPorscheBarry has a spectacular aura aboutPorscheBarry has a spectacular aura about
I can attest to the Boothe quality as well. They look fantastic!
I suppose if you have lug bolts you could potentially powdercoat if you used a "friendly" socket on them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black OEM Rims and Lug Nuts