997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Winter wheels/tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 12:21 PM
oppiefive is infamous around these parts
Cool Winter wheels/tire

Hello to the board I am going to be using my 05 s cab this winter in New York.. Taking off my 19" summer tires and am curious to get everyones opinion wether I should get 17 or 18" wheels? I am also looking into getting the Continental DWS tires. Would also like to get everyones opinion about this tire.

Thanks

Peter

Old 09-24-2011, 02:38 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
17s will look pretty small but will certainly be a lot cheaper with more available options. I'd check out 18s and go for them if price is not prohibitive as they were the smallest oem wheel offered by porsche.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:59 PM
oppiefive is infamous around these parts
Thanks for your input! The price difference is not significant.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:05 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
I am using the Conti DWS on the 19" OEM Carrera Classics that came with the car as my winter set up.

I used the Contis last year with no problems.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lacrosse
I am using the Conti DWS on the 19" OEM Carrera Classics that came with the car as my winter set up.

I used the Contis last year with no problems.
Am getting ready to buy a set of these for dedicated 19" winter wheels. What has your experience been with these tires in winter on wet streets (temps below 45 degrees but not yet freezing) and snow/ice covered streets ?
Don't need dedicated snow tires as we don't get much snow but would drive more in winter if I knew tires wouldn't leave me stranded.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Daniel Leung is infamous around these parts
I drive to work with my 997 TT from North Jersey to Manhattan every day/ all year round with the continental snow tires 19" in winter. Since the car is all wheel drive, with the snow tires. it is a win win situation to me. it can easily plow through the snow in a heart beat. I went out one night just to drive around with 4'' of snow on the ground, felt like king of the road. however, you should head home once the snow accumulation is more than 4"

good luck and safe driving in winter

DL

Old 09-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Mikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to behold
I would try to find a set of 18" OEM wheels and get some 235/265 winter tires. I've been using this setup with the LM25 for my 987 Boxster S and C2S for a few years now. Handles great on cold winters and snow.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:44 PM
jdimaina is infamous around these parts
I live and DC and use my '07s as a daily driver. Winter tires are a must even with the spotty snowfall we get in DC. I have 19" rims and weighed whether to buy an extra set of 18" rims and snows or just go for 19" snows and swap my summer tires. In the end I decided on the latter - bought 19" Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II N1. Great tires.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Mikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to behold
Do you remount your tires every year?

Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dadio
Am getting ready to buy a set of these for dedicated 19" winter wheels. What has your experience been with these tires in winter on wet streets (temps below 45 degrees but not yet freezing) and snow/ice covered streets ?
Don't need dedicated snow tires as we don't get much snow but would drive more in winter if I knew tires wouldn't leave me stranded.

They performed well in the wet/snow last winter. And we certainly had enough last winter to test them.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by Mikli

I have a dedicated wheel/tire set for summer and one for winter.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
I have the DWS on my Cayenne and my wife's E360. It's a great all season, but both cars get switched to snow tires in the winter.

If you are going to have a dedicated winter tire, I would suggest getting snow tires. If there's snow/ice on the ground the snow tire will be so much better.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:54 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
i have a set of 18" PA2 235/265 tires for sale, practically as new - i drove on them 3-4 months then took them off thinking that I will drive car in the winter a lot but it did not happen. if anybody wants them - make me an offer. local pickup in MA is a best way.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:57 AM
jdimaina is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mikli
Yes. Part of the cost/benefit equation.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jdimaina
Yes. Part of the cost/benefit equation.
I also have the Sottozeros and mount/remount once a year. Would be cheaper and more convenient to keep them on another set of rims but I really like my turbo wheels so want to use them year round. I've been happy with the sottos. Stable at high speeds and good grip in snow and slush.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter wheels/tire