997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bilstein PASM Damptronic Advisory

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:40 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Exclamation Bilstein PASM Damptronic Advisory

Hey guys once in a while (and this was a long while!) things do get fixed/solved in our industry. I'm sure many of you remember the back and forth discussions between certain companies/vendors concerning the drop links on Bilstein Coil over kits breaking. Many of you with this coil over kit installed on widebody 997TT/C4S' have come on here to report your frustrations at breaking your drop link ends (they would pop out due to a poor choice of materials) in the front. Some companies would blame the installation incorrectly etc... due to a denial of any issue from the manufacturer but the fact remained that it was a problem that was serious enough to where we actually stopped selling/installing these kits unless we installed our own upgraded drop links.

On the 996TT PSS9 kits and later PSS10s the ends used to be made from a non-plastic material which was stronger and never really failed. We don't know why they didn't keep with that end design as a lot of problems would have been avoided. Fast forward a couple of years and _finally_ it seems as though Bilstein has realized/recognized and thankfully addressed the problem:

Here are the new curved/kinked drop links that come with these kits (as of today which is the first time I've seen them included):

Older version (the crap one) vs the revised:

Basically if you have one of these it's only a matter of time. They are weak at the ends and the geometry is such that they also bind under full lock. You guys should check the attachment points to the shock and to the sway bar in case one end is completely loose (sometimes you'll hear noise that's a clue):

If you recently bought a kit be sure to check which ones you have. Those of you with older kits I'd suggest getting them warrantied and replaced with this version:

Ok phew! Back to installing a set of these on a 997TT

Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Is it only the AWD cars that have this problem?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
I bent my original straight ones in May and Bilstein was good enough to send me an updated pair under warranty - they were less than a year old. I worked directly with Bilstein after the dealer who sold me the Damptronics said they wouldn't be covered. Ultimately, however, I replaced them with a set of drop links from Tarett Engineering which are completely adjustable and manufactured from billet aluminum. They are much more robust than the Bilstein offerings.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:08 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Yes...please clarify. I don't remember mine coming with new drop links for my narrow body, but it was long ago that I installed them. I assume since you say in your post that the frustrations are coming from TT and C4S owners that this only apples to wide body?

Thanks Alex.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
That's correct this is for AWD cars only as above

Old 09-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
+1 on the Tarett links

Old 09-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Mikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to behold
Good product update.

I also think the aftermarket adj drop link is the way to go but I guess you can always wait until the bilstein ones breaks. I'm using the RSS DL, they look great, easy re/re and work just as good.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:19 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Thanks Sharky for the detailed post . I appreciate that you posted the comparison photos to help clarrify .

Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Thanks Sharky for the detailed post . I appreciate that you posted the comparison photos to help clarrify .
You bet man. No worries and remember this only applies to guys with Turbos or C4S kits

Old 09-29-2011, 11:30 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Incredibly timely post Alex......thanks.
Front left DL on wife's 09 C4S just popped....and we were talking about it here this morning.
I'm going w/adjustable DLs also.....possibly also help w/dialing out other DE Damptronic noise.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by GreggT
Incredibly timely post Alex......thanks.
Front left DL on wife's 09 C4S just popped....and we were talking about it here this morning.
I'm going w/adjustable DLs also.....possibly also help w/dialing out other DE Damptronic noise.
Hey Gregg, oops and bummer! For sure just try to get a replacement set like these that'll work Sounds like you're going to use the adjustable stuff which will be all the better anyways.