997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

12' audi TTRS or 06' 997S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:11 PM
doktordyper is infamous around these parts
12' audi TTRS or 06' 997S

hi, the somewhat absurd fact that i'm asking on a 997 forum is not lost on me, but would appreciate any all opinions. i will post same question on fortitude and/or other populated audi forum. sold my 03' 996TT last year, the 9th 911 i've owned since 1983. i've also had a B5 S4, B6 S4 & B7 RS4 on the audi side. looking to buy a new DD and will be one of these 2 cars. there is a specific 997 i've found, w/ and original MSRP of $122K, so obviously very well equiped (X51, etc). when i sold my 996tt, i was originally thinking of a pre-owned 997TT, but my anticipation of how that car would depreciate over the last 2 years has not happened. my succint view of 997 is: PRO: it's a 911. extrememly well equiped. CON: 5 year old car w/ 40k miles. not as well equiped for dd, (ipod, bluetooth, satellite radio). audi PRO: brand new, warranty, creature comforts for DD (see cons of 997), somewhat exclusive (1000 total being imported to NA), easily modded being a turbo (2.5L inline 5). CONS: it's not a 911, stigma related to original TT, depreciation hit. did i mention it's not a 911? thanks for your feedback in advance...

Old 09-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
X51 997s

Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Probably a load of fun but the TT is a bit feminin for my tastes, even this model thus not for me. Why not lease the TTRS then in 3 years pick up a 997.2 Turbo?

Old 09-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by gmoney
Probably a load of fun but the TT is a bit feminin for my tastes, even this model thus not for me. Why not lease the TTRS then in 3 years pick up a 997.2 Turbo?
the tt has been known as the "hair dresser's car". but really, the RS is in another realm, though the stigma may be hard to dodge...

Old 09-27-2011, 08:12 PM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
I had an 08 TT turbo that was built with after market items to equal or exceed the RS HP. It was a great car. Here are my comparisons:

1-A new TTRS AWD with warranty etc is substantially less expensive than a similarly equipped new 911

2-The TTRS will have similar performance to a Carrera S and similar handling

3-The TT has a pretty decent size trunk but no back seat. The 911 if you count the frunk space and the back seat has slightly more room and is a little more versatile since in a pinch someone can actually sit in the back seat.

4-I'm a big guy and the TT had about the same leg room front to back as the 911 does. But the side to side space in the drivers compartment is slightly larger in the TT.

5-I liked the fact the TT had the fixed roll bars behinds the seats, I wish the 911 had those too, just my preference.

I traded an 08 TT with 45K miles on it for an 06 Carrera S with 11K miles on it and a 2 year/50K mile CPO warranty. For general use and routine daily driving, the TT is more comfortable (for me) and when you compare the cost differential it becomes an easier decision.

However, there is a certain mystique and prestige that comes with the Porsche. The looks of the car and the way it handles when you're hanging it out just can't compare. I loved my TT and would recommend one to anyone. But I love my Porsche ever so slightly more.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by TT2911
I had an 08 TT turbo that was built with after market items to equal or exceed the RS HP. It was a great car. Here are my comparisons:

1-A new TTRS AWD with warranty etc is substantially less expensive than a similarly equipped new 911

2-The TTRS will have similar performance to a Carrera S and similar handling

3-The TT has a pretty decent size trunk but no back seat. The 911 if you count the frunk space and the back seat has slightly more room and is a little more versatile since in a pinch someone can actually sit in the back seat.

4-I'm a big guy and the TT had about the same leg room front to back as the 911 does. But the side to side space in the drivers compartment is slightly larger in the TT.

5-I liked the fact the TT had the fixed roll bars behinds the seats, I wish the 911 had those too, just my preference.

I traded an 08 TT with 45K miles on it for an 06 Carrera S with 11K miles on it and a 2 year/50K mile CPO warranty. For general use and routine daily driving, the TT is more comfortable (for me) and when you compare the cost differential it becomes an easier decision.

However, there is a certain mystique and prestige that comes with the Porsche. The looks of the car and the way it handles when you're hanging it out just can't compare. I loved my TT and would recommend one to anyone. But I love my Porsche ever so slightly more.
thanks for the detail TT2911 - of note, i'm an avid cyclist and storage space is important. i have a purpose made nylon bag the bike fits into sans wheels, which then go in wheel bags. it all fits in the back of the 911 fairly well with some precise angling. of note, i also removed the rear seats anyway because of the slight weight savings. w/ the TTRS, which by the way is a coupe w/ rear hatch, the 2 rear seats fold down and the bike lays perfectly flate w/ ample room to spare. i obviously checked all this out prior at the dealership....

Old 09-27-2011, 08:34 PM
jdimaina is infamous around these parts
doktordyper -

Another option is to look for a pre-owned '09 997. Porsche re-worked the electronics in '09 (as well as some of the components of the flat six) and you are likely to find most of the tech features in this car. Yes a little more money but longer warranty and few miles.

Just a thought.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:12 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jdimaina
doktordyper -

Another option is to look for a pre-owned '09 997. Porsche re-worked the electronics in '09 (as well as some of the components of the flat six) and you are likely to find most of the tech features in this car. Yes a little more money but longer warranty and few miles.

Just a thought.
Mine too, though I'm obviously prejudiced.

Gary

Old 09-27-2011, 09:34 PM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by doktordyper
thanks for the detail TT2911 - of note, i'm an avid cyclist and storage space is important. i have a purpose made nylon bag the bike fits into sans wheels, which then go in wheel bags. it all fits in the back of the 911 fairly well with some precise angling. of note, i also removed the rear seats anyway because of the slight weight savings. w/ the TTRS, which by the way is a coupe w/ rear hatch, the 2 rear seats fold down and the bike lays perfectly flate w/ ample room to spare. i obviously checked all this out prior at the dealership....
You can also just install a rack on the roof of the Porsche... there are attachment points already built into the channels on the sides of the roof.

I've only driven a couple of first generation TT's, but back then I was very unimpressed with them. I felt they lacked any kind of excitement. In general, I'm a big Audi fan - incredible fit and finish, and always attractive cars. But to me the TT is a lesser sports car, and the Porsche is as good as it gets. I can't imagine a TT could make me smile every time I open the garage door like my Porsche does.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Vegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to behold
Congrats on your good taste. Next to my 997 in my garage is my wife's brilliant red B7 s-line avant.

I love both of my cars, so I really don't know what I would do if I were you.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
I have a 2011 C2S and a 2012 TTRS. Honestly, it would be hard to pick one over the other. When compared with an '06 C2S, I'd go with the TTRS.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:40 AM
Gibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the rough
Hi there

The TT RS was a car I test drove before buying my 997.1 C2S.

The RS is surprisingly good, nice place to be, very very quick in all conditions, great mpg figures and cheap to run plus extremely tunable for little money. Its weakness is understeer and lack of involvement which can be improved with suspension tweaks but it will never have the feel/involvement of a rear engined, RWD 911.

So if your into your corner carving, track days and overall feel from a vehicle the 911 is an easy winner.

However if your more into racing, drag racing, on a roll racing or just sheer straight line performance the TT RS with a stage 1 remap will decimate a 997 C2S even with X51 powerkit.

My friend has an Audi TT RS R-Tronic with stage 1 remap which has been tested at 410BHP.

He has done some performance figures and has got:-
0-60mph - 3.5s
0-100mph - 7.5s
60-100mph - 4.2s
60-130mph - 9.3s

Thats 997 Turbo quick, the stage 1 remap cost circa $1000, if you go stage with with intake and exhaust your looking at circa 450BHP which cost $4000ish.

For the money the TT RS once mapped is a hard car to beat in a straight line, its quicker than the R8, it can match a 997 Turbo and an M5 V10.

So if you want performance and your happy to remap get a TT RS, if you want handling, looks and noise get a 911.

Also one other thing, that damn Audi can still achieve 40MPG on a run, my 997.1 C2S struggles to see 30MPG, so Audi really have a great engine there.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:29 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
You're kidding, right ?

Having had several Audis, including the original TT and A4RS as well as several Porsches (currently a 997.2 and a '63 356), there is no quality comparison.

Yes, Audi does interiors better than anyone else, but the beauty is only skin deep; they are "3 year" cars but do not lease or finance well due to terrible residual values.

Buy the Porsche.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:51 PM
thanks for all the response guys, all good feedback. of note, the TTRS cannot really be equated w/ the original TT, though the relation/stigma is a notable ding. Dr. Bill, saw some of your posts over at fortitude, great feedback given you have both. the NA version of the TTRS is also 6sp manual only, not sure if i'd get r-tronic (or whatever they call it) if it was available. lastly, the 997.2 option is just out of my price range, really looking for an "s", and one of the most important options for the 997 is full leather, which is minority, limiting available inventory even more. least expensive 997.2's are mid $60's (non "S", lightly equiped)

Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Regardless of any stigma relating to the previous TT models...the TT-RS is a BAD RIDE! And the return of the inline 5 makes it even more awesome in my opinion. Shame on me for saying this....but if was between a regular 997S and the TT-RS....I'm driving the TT-RS and putting the extra $$ towards some upgrades that would make that inline 5 a BEAST!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 12' audi TTRS or 06' 997S