997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Mesh for front openings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:19 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Old 11-15-2011, 11:51 PM
socalbd has a spectacular aura aboutsocalbd has a spectacular aura about
I don't have the screens and I recently vacuumed out the inside of the openings. 90% of what I found was small enough or soft enough to have made it through these screens. I'm imagining all this stuff getting through and then being trapped behind the screens--until I remove the bumper and/or the screens. I'm going as-is.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...le-screen.html

The DIY I used. Can get the screens at OSH for about $40. Instead of gluing I just made a small hole in the plastic retaining frame and zip tied mine in place.

Have had no issues for 3+ years.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Ranger911 is infamous around these parts
Installed Rennline Kit last weekend...

and it did require removal of the front bumper. SoCal, I agree, somewhat...the deciding factor for me was that while small debris might become more difficult to clean out of the rads, this is offset completely by the mitigation of catastrophic failure occasioned by large debris (i.e., large rock) penetrating the rads.

The jobs was time consuming and there are electrical connections that need to be disconnected on both sides. (Most DIY write-ups I saw only mentioned a connection on the passenger side.) Still, I would do it again.

The Rennline kit for the 997.2 with stock bumper fits perfectly, by the way.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by vrnkc
Why can't a mesh simply be place directly against the
radiators (maybe separated with rubber spacers) and glued
in place? I don't see why the mesh needs to be placed at
the opening. Cosmetics should not be an issue then. Any thoughts?
+1

sounds reasonable...

Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Rotor is infamous around these parts
I ordered mine from Zunsport in the UK. They were not real cheap at ~$350 shipped, but took all of 30 minutes to install. No removing the bumper. Zunsport has impeccable customer service and shipping took less time than some stateside vendors.

Pardon my weak photography.

Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2011, 05:29 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
wow thats easy (almost too easy) not having to remove the bumper

Old 11-18-2011, 07:07 AM
equ
equ is infamous around these parts
I'm very interested in the zunsport product. But it seems a bit more than $350. They quote 240 to 270GBP, so the black one is $426, before shipping to the US (at current $1.58 to the pound). They also don't list anything for the 997.2, perhaps I'll give them a call.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:25 AM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
Those look great. And being able to have a simple install would be key for me. When more info for a 997.2 standard bumper comes along, I'll be ordering.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:59 AM
dave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nice
I went to the Zunsport website to find install directions. There were none. How does the mesh attach without removing the bumper? Anyone have any detailed pictures? Narrative?
Thanks

Old 11-19-2011, 06:33 AM
ecostellodo is infamous around these parts
I have used the cheap loews/home depot blue fiberglass filters cut to size. Worked great on my trip from Oklahoma to Colorado and back. Temps (oil/water) stayed normal.

Since then I have installed the mesh grille that I purchased from Lowes.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:38 AM
Rotor is infamous around these parts
Try peter.langston@zunsport.co.uk I had several questions and he answered them. As far as the install goes, two of the outer screens snap in, the other two require you to drill a hole in the upper corner of the opening and insert a pin that is welded to the screen. Then it snaps in place also. The Center requires two? four? holes and then same story as the side. I knew I should have kept those directions!

Peter also gave me a discount code which saved some $$.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:41 AM
beaboarder is infamous around these parts
The Zunsports are super easy to install. They come with detailed instructions. For the lower grills:
1) drill a 3mm hole in the top corner of the opening.
2) fit the grill pin (it has a pin on one side and clip on the other) into the hole and just clip the grill in place. That's it.
For the uppers ( one side has a clip ) clip the grill in place and secure with a small screw and washer that's supplied. They are secure and work really well, not sure if they are available for the 997.2.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Tcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to behold
This is a little off topic (and probably won't get a response), maybe I should have started a new thread, but I have a question to all of you who know more than me. If you place mesh over the intakes, does this limit the amount of airflow to the radiator? I know that the drag will be slightly increased and restricted openings will affect the velocity of the airflow. If I wanted to spend a while and do the math I could probably work it out but I was simply curious about the effect (which I'm guessing is likely negligible insofar as cooling is concerned).

Old 11-19-2011, 01:59 PM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
No impact to cooling at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mesh for front openings