997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Mesh for front openings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 AM
dave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nice
Mesh for front openings

This may have been covered at some point but i'll ask anyway. Just traded in my 08 Turbo for a 2012 4S with PDK. There is a cooler/radiator in all three openings on the front of the car. Looks like an accident waiting to happen if something like rocks etc. hit these.
Does anyone make a mesh style kit that mounts in the openings????
Thanks much
dave29

Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 AM
911CSLover is infamous around these parts911CSLover is infamous around these parts
Piggybacking this, I'd love to know if one is made that doesn't require removal of the bumper to install...

Old 09-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Yes, someone makes a kit - it's $200+ IIRC.

Since harder parts still need done (remove front bumper cover and affixing the mesh, kit or not...) why not just DIY for < $35?

I searched the local home improvement stores but couldn't find any nice gauge material in black. So I gambled and bought some off ebay which arrived Tuesday. Looks like it'll be perfect for the job! They have a tighter mesh available but 72% open area (28% reduction) is about as much as I want to give up in airflow. Here's the link. In case we can't post links to ebay, search for item #380350868891.

Most likely won't get to do mine until this winter after I have my bumper resprayed but check out the 997 sticky as someone posted a great DIY for bumper removal and install of mesh on a TT.

Good luck

Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 AM
aproo is infamous around these partsaproo is infamous around these parts
Zunsports in the UK might have this.

I know they have one for 997.1 which does not require removal of the front bumper.

As for the 997.2, there were talks from them about doing it, but not sure if they got down to producing them. You might want to drop them an email.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
There are at least two separate sources for grille kits for a 997. I know - because I spent a while searching and just installed a kit a couple of days ago on my GTS.

The two sources I know of are Rennline.com ($275) and FVD Brombacher ($260). The kits are essentially the same, although Rennline is available in black or silver and FVD's is black only (I think). Installation is similar for both. FVD's kit requires the front bumper cover to be removed, and I assume the same is true for Rennline.

I went with FVD. The kit took about 10 days to receive and dealer charged me ~$350 for the installation. Once installed they look like they came from the factory.
I track my car and the PDK radiator and the a/c condensers were taking a beating. I think the grills should solve the problem. I've no idea why Porsche sends the cars out without them.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S

Last edited by DMoore; 09-29-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
forbes210 is infamous around these parts
Im thinking about getting the side grills installed but a little concern about the look. Any pics DMoore? Thanks.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
I installed the Zunsport (zunsport.co.uk) on my 997.1 with TPC turbo and 3rd front radiator. Within a week or two of getting the front radiator installed I could see small dings on the radiator and knew that more were coming. Zunsport offer both stainless steel and black epoxy coated stainless grills. I went with the black on my basalt black, thinking the exposed stainless might look a little toothy in the front of the car. I found the product to be high quality and the installation very easy with no bumper removal. And they look great. I looked at their Zunsport's website tonight and they didn't list 997.2 but did have some gen 2 Cayman stuff, so perhaps it's on their radar screen. Before purchasing I sent them a few emails and they were responsive. Highly recommended.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 PM
D.Kinsey is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MarathonBob
I installed the Zunsport (zunsport.co.uk) on my 997.1 with TPC turbo and 3rd front radiator. Within a week or two of getting the front radiator installed I could see small dings on the radiator and knew that more were coming. Zunsport offer both stainless steel and black epoxy coated stainless grills. I went with the black on my basalt black, thinking the exposed stainless might look a little toothy in the front of the car. I found the product to be high quality and the installation very easy with no bumper removal. And they look great. I looked at their Zunsport's website tonight and they didn't list 997.2 but did have some gen 2 Cayman stuff, so perhaps it's on their radar screen. Before purchasing I sent them a few emails and they were responsive. Highly recommended.
Do you mind saying what you paid for this set delivered ?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 PM
spoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the rough
Here's an option from Porscheshop.co.uk. Based on the exchange rate they're roughly $194 before shipping.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:01 AM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
It's been a year but I think I paid about $200 for them. I made the dutiful trip to Home Depot to see what kind of screens I could buy for $30 as a comparison, but in the end I'm confident that there's not much comparison at all. The Zunsport stuff is all welded/soldered to fit precisely and using a heavy gauge stainless steel and in my case, black epoxy coated on top of that. It took me about 45 minutes to install them, like most projects it was thinking and rethinking about the instructions and potential for mistakes and only doing about 15 minutes of real installation.

Another cool thing about them is that they fit inside the bumper but don't require you to take the bumper off. There were some other solutions where the screens go on the outside of the bumper but they looked cheezy/homemade to me. The Zunsport product looks like it came from the factory.

The only thing I wanted but didn't get is I would have loved to have screens that have that flamed steel look you see on the GT3. Zunsport didn't have that but suggested I could apply a torch to their stainless steel product and get that outcome. I didn't want to experiment so I opted for the black finish.

Last edited by MarathonBob; 09-30-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:15 AM
911CSLover is infamous around these parts911CSLover is infamous around these parts
All of these options look great but unfortunately they aren't compatible with my 997.1 Aero. Anyone out there know of an Aero pop in set?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:05 PM
jgrausa is infamous around these parts
GTS - screen for bumper

I found some material at a local metal fabrication shop. There are numerous "mesh" styles, gauges and materials. I chose a hex design in aluminum. The local dealer did the install, total installed cost was less than $275. Stainless steel is nice, but not as pliable as aluminum when "fitting". Regardless of your bumper configuration, you can source material and either DIY or have a professional do it. I know what would happen if I tried to remove and re-install the bumper cover - things would get broken.

Joe
2011 997 GTS
GT Silver, 6sp, 5 lug Carrera Sport wheels

Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2011, 09:45 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
def a good idea, much safer for road debris not taking out rads

I had a bird in my last cars rad once. There was a slight leak and i took off the front bumper to check it out, turned out a little finch was getting a closer look at my rad

i asked him if it looked ok but he didnt answer

Old 11-15-2011, 10:05 PM
vrnkc is infamous around these parts
Diy

Why can't a mesh simply be place directly against the
radiators (maybe separated with rubber spacers) and glued
in place? I don't see why the mesh needs to be placed at
the opening. Cosmetics should not be an issue then. Any thoughts?

Old 11-15-2011, 10:12 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
it's just attached on the inside lip of the bumper opening because thats the best place for it. its not far off the rad, but the fins of the rad are delicate and crush easly (hence rocks damage and the need for grills. i guess however you manage to attach the grills or mesh is fine so long as it doesnt do damage rubbing on the fins of the rad.

what ever works. I think for a 60-100k plus car Id just opt for the proper premolded kits that are made.. i think you can have one from rennline ill go look for a link

just hoping to be of some help.
best of luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mesh for front openings