997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Rogue salesman or dealer policy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Kuhl997 has a spectacular aura aboutKuhl997 has a spectacular aura about
I had a bad experience once looking at a Honda S2000 when they first came out. I asked to test drive the car and wanted to see if the reviews were accurate. The salesman told me he had to get his manager. The manager told me the policy was to get my credit approved and commitment to buy before I could test drive the car. Then he asked me.... Can I afford this car??? I told him WTF? I reamed him a new one. I asked him are you running a museum or a sales lot. Those kind of questions tell me its a museum. I told him I don't buy 32k cars for 42k! It was obvious this sales tactic was designed to intimidate. I called their corporate head quarters and complained. What was amazing is that I just sold my car and had 10k to put down. two weeks later I bought a BMW 3 series. I wanted to drive the car down to the showroom but I thought this was just a waste of time on a ignorant person. I told this story to all my friends who considered going to this dealer. I think I persuaded at least a dozen people from buying there.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:18 PM
fjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to all
I agree, a 'No test drive' policy w/o price agreement is absurd. Here in our smaller market, Harper's Porsche guys always just give me the keys. I can keep the car overnight if I asked, and I have done it. I am very grateful for that.
It's unfortunate for you with The Collection. Poor business practice.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:32 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Too bad there aren't more and more potential customers (if not dealers) reading these stories that can adapt their spending habits based on these experiences. At the end of the day, the only way for these practices to be changed is for the dealers to be hit in the pocketbook.

I've never had such an experience. The only thing close that I've heard of is a local Audi dealer insisting on a down-payment before driving a USED R8. And that was a couple that I know that are BOTH doctors (and have the car collection to prove their intentions).

Old 10-02-2011, 05:45 PM
LambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these parts
Well, I've had my share of nightmare experiences with dealerships over the years. I've had very few good experiences buying cars. I bought a VW GTI for my son last week and that went very well. However, I went in to the local Porsche dealer and did not have a good experience. Not Southern hospitality down here man...these guys will totally ignore. I actually felt a little uncomfortable and left. They did have a Targa on the lot that was in my price range but I instead had to go out of State to buy my car. Went to the same dealer a couple weeks ago for an oil change and the service guys were great.

If I owned a dealership everyone would feel great the minute they walked through the door.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tromero
I have bought three new cars from The Collection in Coral Gables and they have always been polite, courteous and throw great launch parties. Perhaps six months ago I decided to go over to their used car lot which is about a block from the nice new car showroom. I was debating trading my 997.2 for a used turbo or GT3 and being that they had one of each on the lot I decided I would drive both and then come to a decision as to how to proceed. The salesman there whose name I did not catch told me that no test drives were permitted until "we agree on a price". He basically meant you must committ to buying the car first and then they will let you drive it. Of course this is absurd so I walked out and shot off a letter to the manager Ken Gorin since i am sure he would be interested in buyers being chased off the lot. He was, and I did get a very apologetic phone call a couple of days later. I thought I had helped correct the problem for future buyers who may visit there. Wrong! So yesterday a friend of mine who I went to a ball game with told me he too had been at the Collection's used car lot looking at a 2010 Cayenne. A salesman there "Ozzie" also told him that he would not be permitted to drive any of the cars until a commitment was made to buy. Of course my friend walked out and as we speak is at another dealer buying a Cayenne. While at the game he simply could not believe that a reputable dealer would condone or allow this type of thing to go on and I for one am at a loss as well. How can anyone possibly be expected to commit buy something without even driving it?
New car salesmen are always polite until they make the sale. As for used car salesmen, well, their used car salesmen what do you expect ?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:43 AM
JCGMS is infamous around these parts
They let me test drive on the second visit

I'm in the market for my first 911, looking at used.

The first time I went by the Collection's CPO lot the salesman seemed hesitant to let me test drive. The car I was looking at had just come in and hadn't been inspected yet, etc etc. I didn't push. It's my first time buying a car of this caliber so I really didn't know what to expect.

I came back about a month later (in a nicer car BTW, the wife's!) and thought I sensed some of that hesitation initially. However, this time when I asked to test drive a 997.1 C2 (even though there weren't any specific ones in my color combo on the lot) he acquiesced right away.

So, definitely not a warm and fuzzy feeling from them, but not totally obstructionist either. The salesman was always very polite and courteous.

On the other hand, I went by one of the high-end used dealers right up the street and they let me test drive right away.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:58 AM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
The policy is most likely to avoid time wasters and joy riders that may abuse the car, but the argument is flawed beyond belief. A business that sends the message that it's too good for it's customers will ultimately never prosper.

Btw I found that calling and making an appointment ahead of time resolves most salespeople's reluctance to allow a test drive.

But now that we're talking about Miami area dealers, I had such a disrespectful experience from Weston Nissan that I completely crossed the GTR off my shopping list. That's how irritating they were, even though I may have shot myself in the foot by disregarding what I'm sure is a wonderful car.

At the time they had the only GTR that I could find on a showroom so I made an appointment to see it and they said, come on down. When I got there, not only did they refuse to let me drive it, they wouldn't even open the car to let me see or sit inside! What's more, not a single salesman was supposedly available, so they wouldn't even condescend to waste a second of their time with someone whose time they willfully wasted by making me come down.

So now they have a detractor who will tell everyone who'll listen, including thousands of high end car buyers on this forum, that they are arrogant time wasters. Is avoiding that worth 30 minutes of a salesperson's time to come talk to me (and likely sell a car in the process)? Weston Nissan Volvo doesn't think so

Old 10-03-2011, 02:49 AM
thefr7 has a spectacular aura aboutthefr7 has a spectacular aura about
For what it's worth, anyone in Oklahoma looking for a Porsche, Mercedes, etc.. Jerrod @ Jackie Cooper Imports has been a class act since day 1. Have had great exeperiences with the sales manager, etc. So impressed we have now purchased 2 Porsches from Jerrod.
Initially had some kinks with the service dept, but that was more of a "getting to know each other" issue than anything and has since been worked out. Have also looked at some used cars there, we are both young but have never had an issue with test driving either new or used vehicles.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:49 AM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by evil panda
The policy is most likely to avoid time wasters and joy riders that may abuse the car, but the argument is flawed beyond belief. A business that sends the message that it's too good for it's customers will ultimately never prosper.

Btw I found that calling and making an appointment ahead of time resolves most salespeople's reluctance to allow a test drive.

But now that we're talking about Miami area dealers, I had such a disrespectful experience from Weston Nissan that I completely crossed the GTR off my shopping list. That's how irritating they were, even though I may have shot myself in the foot by disregarding what I'm sure is a wonderful car.

At the time they had the only GTR that I could find on a showroom so I made an appointment to see it and they said, come on down. When I got there, not only did they refuse to let me drive it, they wouldn't even open the car to let me see or sit inside! What's more, not a single salesman was supposedly available, so they wouldn't even condescend to waste a second of their time with someone whose time they willfully wasted by making me come down.

So now they have a detractor who will tell everyone who'll listen, including thousands of high end car buyers on this forum, that they are arrogant time wasters. Is avoiding that worth 30 minutes of a salesperson's time to come talk to me (and likely sell a car in the process)? Weston Nissan Volvo doesn't think so
I have made appointments and still been mistreated...

they dont understand that people have 2 sides to them a serious work side and a laid back sat/sun side.

I am not going to wear brooks brothers and gucci dress shoes to look for cars on a weekend... im wearing jeans or shorts, sneakers, t-shirt you can see my tattoos and piercings... when I go to work I am a different person... you would never know.

point is you cant judge a book by its cover. I have some friends that are making nice 6 figure salaries and if you were in an alley by urself and saw them you would run for your life...

Old 10-03-2011, 06:52 AM
LambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these parts
The majority of the *** Necks can't even afford to drive the cars they sell.

You should buy a GTR from another dealer and take it over for service. That's what I did. All the sales people looked at the new car plate as if it were a magnet.

Originally Posted by evil panda

Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Well, I think you do have to dress appropriately if you want these guys to help so you'll have to put on the Omega and at least some nice golf clothes. Come to think about it....when I stopped into Nashville Porsche with my son, to look at the 2008 Targa, I was wearing camouflage shorts and a Job for a Cowboy T-Shirt; and drove my Company Truck F-150. I do agree....don't judge a book by its cover because I think lots of people like us go out looking for cars dressed in their laid back attire.

Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
I have made appointments and still been mistreated...

they dont understand that people have 2 sides to them a serious work side and a laid back sat/sun side.

I am not going to wear brooks brothers and gucci dress shoes to look for cars on a weekend... im wearing jeans or shorts, sneakers, t-shirt you can see my tattoos and piercings... when I go to work I am a different person... you would never know.

point is you cant judge a book by its cover. I have some friends that are making nice 6 figure salaries and if you were in an alley by urself and saw them you would run for your life...

Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 AM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by LambOfGod
Well, I think you do have to dress appropriately if you want these guys to help so you'll have to put on the Omega and at least some nice golf clothes. Come to think about it....when I stopped into Nashville Porsche with my son, to look at the 2008 Targa, I was wearing camouflage shorts and a Job for a Cowboy T-Shirt; and drove my Company Truck F-150. I do agree....don't judge a book by its cover because I think lots of people like us go out looking for cars dressed in their laid back attire.

seriously let me go put on my best suit !!!!

I think that they have a secret hatred for their customers because they are spending more on a single car than what a majority of the sales people make in a year ...

Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
mind you when I asked to drive the turbo and GT3 I pulled up in my own 997.2 which I had bought at the same dealer! It was bizarre. He said "these are expensive cars and we can't put miles on them".

Old 10-03-2011, 11:12 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
I also went to another dealer 40 miles away yesterday and the difference was night and day. They were laid back and handed me the keys to a brand new 911 GTS with 9 miles on it to drive "as long as I wanted" by myself. That is where I will be buying cars from now on. It's a shame since the other dealer is literally 5 blocks from my house.
..I had that happen with my 08 BMW..called the new car sales manager and told him the story ...2 days later I got a harassing phone call from the salesman on my answering machine...perhaps a South Florida thing

Last edited by slant83; 10-04-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:15 AM
mind you when I asked to drive the turbo and GT3 I pulled up in my own 997.2 which I had bought at the same dealer! It was bizarre. He said "these are expensive cars and we can't put miles on them".
Yeah .. that is wierd. but same thing ... my z06 wasn't cheap... it wasnt expensive compared to a GT3 or turbo S but they are about 76-90k depending on waht you get

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rogue salesman or dealer policy?