997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Rogue salesman or dealer policy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
majority of serious buyers who get gt3 and gt3 rs cars would not test drive them, they do know what is it they get. it is also quite critical for gt3 car not to have miles, if i would be buying ans saw an odometer on gt3 car to have miles i would not take it.

as of turbo cars - not sure why it was a big deal, as it is a consumer grade road car and they should have some to allow test drives.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
majority of serious buyers who get gt3 and gt3 rs cars would not test drive them, they do know what is it they get. it is also quite critical for gt3 car not to have miles, if i would be buying ans saw an odometer on gt3 car to have miles i would not take it.

as of turbo cars - not sure why it was a big deal, as it is a consumer grade road car and they should have some to allow test drives.
OK for new cars but the OP is about used cars. They already have miles on 'em so what are they saving 'em for ?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:42 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dadio
OK for new cars but the OP is about used cars. They already have miles on 'em so what are they saving 'em for ?
no idea. i was able to test drive c2 and c2s cars, was able to test drive new gts car, new gt3 car they did not give me to test and i did not insist.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:54 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
RE: evil panda, I bought the three previous cars from the new car showroom and two of the three were from the salesperson who I liked. The used car lot is a different world and although the cars are nicer the people there are not as refined and polite as those in the new car show room. Clearly they have no concept of how to treat people.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
A few years ago the ex-wife had what could only be described as a fetish for Tiffany. I spent some serious $$$ in their stores all over the world. Any way, it was coming up to her birthday. I was knocking around on a Saturday afternoon and I decided to stop by Tiffany's and do some shopping for her birthday. I was wearing an old sweatshirt and some jeans. I walked in and was basically ignored for about 30 minutes. Finally a saleswoman comes over and asks if I know what I want. I point out the piece and in a sarcastic tone asks if I have ever shopped in Tiffany before. I said yes and give her my name and address which she promptly enters into her computer terminal. You should have seen the look on her face when she started to scroll down to see what I had purchased recently and how much I had spent. It was priceless. The general manager came over to apologize for making me wait. I can assure you I get treated like a king every time I walk in there now!

Ya never know who is the person on the otherside of the table!

Old 10-03-2011, 03:06 PM
krpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lacrosse
A few years ago the ex-wife had what could only be described as a fetish for Tiffany. I spent some serious $$$ in their stores all over the world. Any way, it was coming up to her birthday. I was knocking around on a Saturday afternoon and I decided to stop by Tiffany's and do some shopping for her birthday. I was wearing an old sweatshirt and some jeans. I walked in and was basically ignored for about 30 minutes. Finally a saleswoman comes over and asks if I know what I want. I point out the piece and in a sarcastic tone asks if I have ever shopped in Tiffany before. I said yes and give her my name and address which she promptly enters into her computer terminal. You should have seen the look on her face when she started to scroll down to see what I had purchased recently and how much I had spent. It was priceless. The general manager came over to apologize for making me wait. I can assure you I get treated like a king every time I walk in there now!

I love this story....just made my day

Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 PM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough

+ 1 !!!!

LMAO thats happened to me in jewelry stores and stuff too

Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute

+1 Rep. I had the same thing happen at the Mercedes dealership when I went to test drive the SL550 in surf trunks and a tank top. In all fairness, I was coming from the beach IIRC. Yahoo salesman thought I was waiting for my father and kept flirting with the receptionist. Went down to Porsche the same day and I took out the Cayman S and C2S, both by myself. Guess which car I went with?

Old 10-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
One factor to consider is that there may actually be some correlation between how customers present themselves versus how serious they are. In other words, "profiling" may have some validity. After all, there are some people who just want joyrides.

That said, I do think a lot of salespeople just don't know what the hell they're doing, and they have the job only because the barrier to entry is low and there's nothing else worthwhile they're qualified to do. In the few cases where I've dealt with bad salespeople, I didn't take it personally and I just assumed I was dealing with a moron.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:31 PM
thxbuff2001 is infamous around these parts
I have not bought a car with a dealer who did not allow me to test drive their cars, whether used or new.

Those who allowed me too deserve my business.

Its insulting to say the least that you can't drive an expensive car until you agree on the price.

Buy from someone else.

My dealership has allowed me to test drive all the cars in the show room and parking lot with no appointment. That is why I buy from them. Good price, good service, no BS.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:15 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I had written and deleted a post earlier because I felt that I didn't wish to be sucked into the original poster's drama .

I have no affiliation with The Collection and my post comes from the heart. They have been extremely professional and kind to me over the years . I have bought 4 of my 8 Porsches from them and I have never been rejected the offer of a test drive .

I don't even ask to drive some of the more exclusive cars until price is discussed . That is my general style of negotiating because I don't wish to fall in love with a car unless I am aware of the ball park region on price .

I have even been offered to drive cars like the Panmera 4S when I wasn't buying a car but was curious .

On other occasions they have gone above and beyond to exceed my expectations . One time my car broke down in the mid 1990's and the only person left was one salesman who was closing . I didn't even buy the car from him and he helped push it with me into the service drive in the rain . On another occasion I dropped an (unsigned) blank check and was phoned immediately that a valet found it . I was given a loaner on another occasion and was rear ended . It was the other guys fault but it was still THEIR car .Not only did they reasurre me not to worry but they even called me at home to see how we were feeling . I can go on and on .

If the Op had a bad experience I don't know why he didn't just address it with them or buy his car somewhere else . I don't know why he chose to involve strangers to only read one side.

Either way .. I just wanted to say that his example is not the same as mine and after reading the thread I felt a little balance was well deserved.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by krpt176
My local Porsche dealer was awesome. Not so much for the BMW one. Met the Internet sales manager for a test drive around the block. Even though I told her the exact color I wanted and she insisted they have that car, I show up and mysteriously it's not in the lot. Huh? Scratching her head like wow it was here this morning! I drove 120 miles to a different dealership. They sold me the exact car I wanted at invoice no hassle and were extremely friendly. The other dealership calls me and despite having quoted me 4K higher than what we had discussed, magically she has the car I want at the same price. After I tell her I am buying the car elsewhere she proceeds to irately tell me how unfair it test drove the car with her (all of quarter of a mile) and bought it elsewhere and if I bring the car there for service I won't get a loaner vehicle from them.
Holy shady dealer, Batman!

You should have thanked her for reminding you why you chose to go somewhere else, as it was the probably the only thing you learned from her.

Someone please remind me what car salesmen are good for?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:28 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol

Disagree. How many times have we seen - 'my GT3 rides too rough!'?

A few extra miles may = more satisfied customers.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:34 AM
Clay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by tromero
I have bought three new cars from The Collection in Coral Gables and they have always been polite, courteous and throw great launch parties. Perhaps six months ago I decided to go over to their used car lot which is about a block from the nice new car showroom. I was debating trading my 997.2 for a used turbo or GT3 and being that they had one of each on the lot I decided I would drive both and then come to a decision as to how to proceed. The salesman there whose name I did not catch told me that no test drives were permitted until "we agree on a price". He basically meant you must committ to buying the car first and then they will let you drive it. Of course this is absurd so I walked out and shot off a letter to the manager Ken Gorin since i am sure he would be interested in buyers being chased off the lot. He was, and I did get a very apologetic phone call a couple of days later. I thought I had helped correct the problem for future buyers who may visit there. Wrong! So yesterday a friend of mine who I went to a ball game with told me he too had been at the Collection's used car lot looking at a 2010 Cayenne. A salesman there "Ozzie" also told him that he would not be permitted to drive any of the cars until a commitment was made to buy. Of course my friend walked out and as we speak is at another dealer buying a Cayenne. While at the game he simply could not believe that a reputable dealer would condone or allow this type of thing to go on and I for one am at a loss as well. How can anyone possibly be expected to commit buy something without even driving it?
Your friend needs to email a photo to The Collection's manager of him next to his new Cayenne that he bought from the other dealer.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:30 AM
LambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these parts
Well, it is good that you had an amazing experience at this dealership. Can you give us some more details on how you were dressed and what you drove into the dealership with? It sounds like the sales people pre-judge potential clients. I'm glad that they op put this out their and you'll if you read the post you'd find that he did write a letter but nothing changed.

BTW I don't know of any forum that is a "make-nice" cyber hangout but rather a place to express opinions, experiences and discuss issues.

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I had written and deleted a post earlier because I felt that I didn't wish to be sucked into the original poster's drama .

I have no affiliation with The Collection and my post comes from the heart. They have been extremely professional and kind to me over the years . I have bought 4 of my 8 Porsches from them and I have never been rejected the offer of a test drive .

I don't even ask to drive some of the more exclusive cars until price is discussed . That is my general style of negotiating because I don't wish to fall in love with a car unless I am aware of the ball park region on price .

I have even been offered to drive cars like the Panmera 4S when I wasn't buying a car but was curious .

On other occasions they have gone above and beyond to exceed my expectations . One time my car broke down in the mid 1990's and the only person left was one salesman who was closing . I didn't even buy the car from him and he helped push it with me into the service drive in the rain . On another occasion I dropped an (unsigned) blank check and was phoned immediately that a valet found it . I was given a loaner on another occasion and was rear ended . It was the other guys fault but it was still THEIR car .Not only did they reasurre me not to worry but they even called me at home to see how we were feeling . I can go on and on .

If the Op had a bad experience I don't know why he didn't just address it with them or buy his car somewhere else . I don't know why he chose to involve strangers to only read one side.

Either way .. I just wanted to say that his example is not the same as mine and after reading the thread I felt a little balance was well deserved.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rogue salesman or dealer policy?