997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cig lighter power is not off when i off ignition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:24 AM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
Cig lighter power is not off when i off ignition

is it normal, is there any way we can programe it to turn off the cig lighter power & aux power under glove box turn off. any inputs is appriciated. It is so uncomfortable to turn off my radar detector every time i park my car.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:52 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
hardwire it. easily done in 20 minutes if you mount above left of rear view mirror. Run wire down to fuse panel inside factory interior bits, connect to unused fuse direct and goes on and off with ignition.

other options include wiring to center overhead console but that is more involved.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by gmoney
hardwire it. easily done in 20 minutes if you mount above left of rear view mirror. Run wire down to fuse panel inside factory interior bits, connect to unused fuse direct and goes on and off with ignition.

other options include wiring to center overhead console but that is more involved.
thanks for the advice. is it easy DIY? anyone did this which goes on and off with ignition? thanks in advance.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Yes, easy DIY! I have mine hardwired into wiring near dome light, but you must have self dimming mirrors. Let me see if I can find the DIY link.

Darn, rennlist doesn't let you cut and paste thread links?! Search " V1 Switched Power Hardwire Installation for the 997 " on that forum - I used that method that doesn't require running a line to the fusebox.

Ron

Last edited by Scoper; 10-07-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: looked for link...
Old 10-07-2011, 02:25 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Couple of DIYs on the forums,

here is how its fused, special adapter to a fuse unused in the panel

routed up near the windshield top, down through the inside panels - they pop off with your hand enough to gain access in A pillar.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Where the red wire pops through you need to drill that tiny hole, this routes the wire through into the panels for a totally hidden cable run.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:28 PM
thanks ron & gmoney, you guys are best.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:54 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gmoney
hardwire it. easily done in [...]
Do I take it that the 997.1 does not have the accessory outlet for such uses? For people who search this topic in the future, the answer with a 997.2 is "plug into the switched outlet instead." The cigarette lighter is not switched because we need it to power the air compressor when dealing with a flat. The switched outlet is located in the footwell next to the passenger's left knee.

Gary

Old 10-09-2011, 03:57 AM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by simsgw
Do I take it that the 997.1 does not have the accessory outlet for such uses? For people who search this topic in the future, the answer with a 997.2 is "plug into the switched outlet instead." The cigarette lighter is not switched because we need it to power the air compressor when dealing with a flat. The switched outlet is located in the footwell next to the passenger's left knee.

Gary
997.1 does have the outlet in the passenger footwell, but it is always powered - just like the cigarette lighter socket.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
There are a lot of different ways to do this and they all have pros and cons...Here are a few of DIY options that have been posted that I looked at before installing mine. I did something close to the first since it was easily reversible and took about 30 minutes...I was surprised how easy it was.

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/991-...smartcord.html

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/elec...-detector.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-install.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-homelink.html

Let us know how you decide to do it.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:17 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by simsgw

Gary
2012 GTS - both the cigarette lighter and the auxiliary outlet on the passenger side of the console are hot all the time. Neither are "switched power".

Cheers,

Fred R.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:36 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by last911
2012 GTS - both the cigarette lighter and the auxiliary outlet on the passenger side of the console are hot all the time. Neither are "switched power".

Cheers,

Fred R.
Oh well, there's your do-it-yourself project, then. Change the accessory outlet to a the switched bus.

I'm dancing around the obvious here: I wouldn't have a hard-wired radar detector or anything else in my car unless it was completely invisible. I'm not even sure what to do with a "first in class" plaque designed for dashboard display. I know they have been traditional in Porsches for half a century, but even so... and that has none of the obvious drawbacks of a visible bit of electronics. Especially electronics that are banned in some jurisdictions.

Gary