997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche Cars North America Driving Event at PIR Oct 23rd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Flip is infamous around these parts
Porsche Cars North America Driving Event at PIR Oct 23rd

(PIR) = Portland (Oregon) Intl. Raceway. I'm registered for the afternoon session starting at 1pm. Let me know if you will be there. Be nice to meet some other forum members in person.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:06 AM
2Utes is infamous around these parts
Flip,

My wife and I will be there in the afternoon as well. We have an amethyst GTS. It will be nice to meet another forum member.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor
HouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really nice
Hi board members,

Speaking from experience, the Porsche driving events in So. Cali. Porsche is letting the consumers drive the Porsches first for couple laps then have the Porsche driving instructors from Porsche driving school push the cars to the limit while you're in the passenger seat. This should be the same event in Portland this weekend.

Enjoy guys and have a good weekend!

Old 10-21-2011, 11:44 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I am doing the same thing here in Houston tomorrow.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by 2Utes
Flip,

My wife and I will be there in the afternoon as well. We have an amethyst GTS. It will be nice to meet another forum member.
I'll make it a point to look for you. I heard about your GTS when I was in the spec process on mine. Looking forward to seeing it either Sunday or at some other event.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:58 PM
79 911SC is a splendid one to behold79 911SC is a splendid one to behold79 911SC is a splendid one to behold79 911SC is a splendid one to behold79 911SC is a splendid one to behold79 911SC is a splendid one to behold79 911SC is a splendid one to behold
I went to the same thing a few months ago. POURED down rain but was still fun. On the track I drove a Cayman R, Panamara, and Cayenne Hybrid. Drove two Cayman S's and a 2008 Carrera S.

You will have a great time. Enjoy!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Had a great time at the event. Format was autocross with three vehicles (Cayman R, Boxter S Black Edition, Carrera S Cabriolet) and then track time with six vehicles (three platforms 911, Panamera, Cayene with two variations on each).

We drove the autocross in each vehicle with a co-pilot instructor from Porsche Driving School (from Alabama site). While I truly enjoyed the Cayman R's balance, the Carrera S surprised me with the ability to use its power on such a tight course. As a side note, it was interesting to see the difference in each instructors approach to coaching you as you drove.

On to the track time. My favorite, of course, was the GTS Cabriolet. Gave me a chance to experience "my" car on track. I've got 1,800 miles on my GTS so no track time just yet. The "beast of the bunch" was the Cayenne with 500hp...obviously powerful but pretty stable all things considered in the twisties.

They controlled our speeds on track with a pilot car but my guest and I still were able to "get our go on" (115mph - 120mph on the short back straight) and somewhat sideways in the Cayenne when if you really tried hard to do so.

No, the Carrera GT was not available to drive...just one of many really nice rides that showed up for the event.

Also got a chance to meet another forum member in person which is always quite nice

Flip

Attached Images     
Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
How do you guys like living in Portland? Went for visit recently and was quite impressed with the city. Nice that there is a track there. Seems a little to overcast though...

Old 10-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Code Red
How do you guys like living in Portland? Went for visit recently and was quite impressed with the city. Nice that there is a track there. Seems a little to overcast though...
Been loving it since moving here from Washington DC 19 years ago. Not as many cloudy days as Seattle but "sun lovers" would find the winters challenging.

PIR is a nice track near the Portland airport. While I've not been out to Oregon Raceway Park, I understand it's a great circuit albeit a bit of a hike from Portland.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HouseAutomotive
Hi board members,

Speaking from experience, the Porsche driving events in So. Cali. Porsche is letting the consumers drive the Porsches first for couple laps then have the Porsche driving instructors from Porsche driving school push the cars to the limit while you're in the passenger seat. This should be the same event in Portland this weekend.

Enjoy guys and have a good weekend!
Do we know when the next event is being held in So Cal?