997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Too picky for winter storage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:52 AM
mousecrab is infamous around these parts
Too picky for winter storage?

I thinking I'm being too picky but do want to make sure I don't end up costing myself more.
Found a parking space for storage at a reasonable price; it is indoor, underground but not heated also no plug for battery tender which I expected.
What holds me back a bit is that the space is not flat... Not a lot but half of it is flat or close to (the front half) but the other half is sloping down slightly by about 1 to 2 degrees a believe.
Any concerns parking in such a small slop for 4 to 5 months? Would it add extra stress to the spring, tires, etc...?
Thanks!

Old 10-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
You're good regarding the slope but your battery will be dead when you go get it in the spring without a tender.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Take the battery out and keep it nice and warm and charged in your home. When spring comes, re-install, turn the key and you are off. Maybe a little fuel stabilizer just to be safe.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Tito_gsx is infamous around these parts
Do the car electronics act up if you remove battery for extended period of time?

Any how do you open trunk if battery is disconnected?

thx!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Electronics shouldn't act up but you will ned to reset your D&P window up position...not hard and it's in your manual.

I would but fuel stabalizer...I use Sta-Bil and it's on sale right now at Canadian Tire.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:53 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
If you are concerned about the slope put some blocks (bricks) behind the wheel and let the car slide, then put in in gear or park.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Sweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really nice
I use these to stop the tires from flat spotting. They really work, a little Sta-Bil and you're good to go.
http://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR-.../dp/B003ZAGJAM

I just saw these on Amazon but there are plenty of choices.
GL

Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM
mousecrab is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info. Planning to disconnect the battery and keep it charged with a tender at home. manual has some instruction on how to open up the hood in the spring. Expecting some memory to be lost with the battery gone for months, most are no big deal just loosing the addresses in NAV would suck...

Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM
MG997 is infamous around these parts
Did unheated covered storage when I had the Boxster. It's hard on the battery therefore good idea to remove it. Now I drive my '05 C2 year round and love it. Pirelli Sottozero 240s go on this Saturday for the crazy season. Hope the snow wont be as brutal as the rainfall has been the past few weeks...

Old 12-02-2011, 07:37 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
all storage units have rodents, i am afraid to leave car there for any period of time. they will eat it up, literally.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:36 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
wow, i need to make some of that flat spot thing. $240 is a lot

Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I just inflate the tires as indicated in the manual and move the car a few inches every month. I also use a battery tender, an indoor cover and a mouse trap on the floor at each wheel. Finally, I fill the fuel tank and add the stabilizer at 50% recommended level ( for only four months).

Old 12-02-2011, 12:13 PM
scrappyca is infamous around these parts
Flat Spot Prevention on the Cheap

I use four 2ft x 1ft sections of high pile carpet...and I find it works great. I've never had problems with flat spots in 15 years. I have heard other folks using rectangles of hi-density styrofoam insulation....and that apparently works as well.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:24 AM
997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Electronics shouldn't act up but you will ned to reset your D&P window up position...not hard and it's in your manual.

I would but fuel stabalizer...I use Sta-Bil and it's on sale right now at Canadian Tire.
I asked my Service Advisor about fuel stabilizer and he said No Sta-Bil, the fuel system is too sensitive. Just over inflate tires by around 10lbs. I use porsche battery charger so I leave the battery in car never had an issue.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 PM
alinjack is infamous around these parts
Jack pads for GTR

Are you the gentleman that sells the jack point inserts for the GTR? If so could you please contact me at: alinjack@shaw.ca

I would like to purchase four of them. Thank you.

Allan Jack

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Too picky for winter storage?