997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Shark Werks Goes on US Tour

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:46 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Captain's Log: Star Date 1/11/11
We are packing our gear for the trip out to Springfield to pick the car up and the good folks at Isringhausen (thanks to Geoff & crew) were kind enough to send me a few updates.

Now what is this, our no-named girl is up on a lift already?

What's going on. I see a bumper coming off? Maybe the guys at Isringhausen are just checking for rattles in the heat shields. That must be it...

Nope. The rattle seems to be deeper and coming from one of the side mufflers:

Aha... busted! That out to fix that "rattle"...

Although she does have a fancy ipod connection (hey Porsche did finally discover the ipod in 2009!) the only tunes we'll be playing are from this Sharkwerks exhaust thingemejig:

And don't worry the factory Titanium tips work just fine with our exhaust too. Although no titanium was harmed in the process our part is still about 8 pounds lighter than what came off anyways:

There she is waiting to be gulped up by a pair of West Coast Sharks first thing in the morning. That red GTS doesn't look half-bad either!? Gary you take the RS and Wyatt you take GTS (sort of Weird Science reference in Kelly LeBrock's accent):

Old 11-01-2011, 06:06 PM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
Can't.......look.......at.......those........pictu res.

It hurts too much to see my true love getting away from me.

I think I'm going to have to pull a Romeo on this one,

T.

(keep'em coming, I'm a sucker for punishment. I had to pursue my wife for nine years before she finally agreed to have a date after all...)

Old 11-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Vintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura about
Hey that's my GTS..............Get some ideas for her, I will be ordering alot and having Isringhausen install it. Any thoughts????

Old 11-02-2011, 05:47 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vintage TONE
Hey that's my GTS..............Get some ideas for her, I will be ordering alot and having Isringhausen install it. Any thoughts????

That's pretty neat and random too! Nice to meet you and of course I'll check her out in a few I do like the aerokit- good call.

Hmm since you have PSE on there I'd say spice her up a little and have them install this:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193

It'll sound like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2R9djPD0qk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiKOxiLNrN8

Last edited by sharkster; 11-02-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Vintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura about
I'll be doing more than exhaust but we can talk about that later........

Did you guys get the car? And are you on the road? Fill us in?

Old 11-02-2011, 10:46 PM
I'll be doing more than exhaust but we can talk about that later........

Did you guys get the car? And are you on the road? Fill us in?
Roger that... I talked to Geoff and he really liked the sound of it on the last GTS they did so The car looks superb btw...

We made it to Joplin just now.... updates coming.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:21 AM
Day Two: 800 miles & four states later…
If there are two things that stand out for me today:
1) Who needs European Delivery when you have Route 66?
2) Covering some 800+ miles, four states, many different quality of roads this MK2 RS is one helluva road car. There can’t be many cars capable of so much yet are able to do so with such ease and comfort. It’s no caddy but she glides along…

The heavy rain shower from the night before took its toll on our stunning SharkWerks Satin Blue Paint Protection Film Wrap Technology TM. Here’s Sharky making a few take-two style adjustments and corrections.

No words necessary.

Off we go and in the middle of an Oklahoman Porsche meet!

Oklahoma this time of year had trees galore of all different colors. The North American Amazon! We stopped at a Cherokee Trading post. It had Indians. Real ones!

There was a big sign warning us that this was the last Mickey D’s in the entire State!

There are a few issues with this type of paint protection. The marquee is no longer visible. Another wardrobe malfunction. No Porsche dealership for miles so we did what we could:

There’s no way 5’9-Dan is this tall in real life. The car isn’t this short either.

You don’t see these factory-blue seat pass throughs every day. Neither do we sitting and facing forwards. They kind of sort of work. They just do.

Another rest stop and another old school Le Mans-style driver change:

Next up was Texas.

We wouldn’t have it any other way:

We decided to pull over and get ourselves kitted out properly with a hood ornament to help make some friends. It was getting dark so we tested the day-time running lights.

Just one of many rest stops in Texas:

She’s a looker:

We also hit 1000 miles on the Odometer and hence began to give her some real welly (see video). As fun as this was, I know we have some work ahead of us with the throttle settings. There’s room on the table. It was neat to hear our exhaust again on the 3.8 engine with a LWF. You also really notice the intake howl more than on cars with the 996GT3 style intake (997.1GT3, RS and 997.2GT3). The 4.0 and the conical intakes likely make even more.

All those high revs meant we needed gas. We thought we’d go off the reservation a bit and find something better than 91 octane but clearly we came by a few years too late. Skynet and the Terminators had already taken over the world and “Judgement Day” had come and gone. At least someone left a couch for us to rest on.

Finally we did find a station with premium fuel. I have no comment on the 86 octane. That’s not even fit for adding to a protein shake. Great timing also as we had a driver change and Dan was lucky enough to drive the properly broken-in RS with said 90-octane. He was forced to baby it on his stint and will complain about it for many years to come. This is the first and I guarantee will be the last time that Pische-for-gas sees the inside of this car.

Texas lasts forever and being a navigator you get to play with the Sporty Chrono and XM radio:

At least he was treated tot a Texas-style sunset.

In a desert devoid of civilization there was a sign and Texas decided to help cheer up Dan once again. This seems like a good place to visit from dusk till dawn.

Near the Texas and New Mexico border we had to stop for bathroom break. Good thing we did too. Take your boots off before entering:

Don’t forget to wash your hands either. Our thicker optioned alcantara wheel appreciates it:

New Mexico was next. We wanted to try and blend in here as well:

Not that New Mexico is boring but if we could teleport ourselves and this car anywhere it would be here:

Still on Route 66 we couldn’t find a place to settle down for the night. This one seemed ok but the parking was sketchy.

Tomorrow we’re hoping to continue through New Mexico and Arizona and catch the odd UFO or two.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:46 AM
Old 11-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Looks like alot of fun guys. Enjoy!

Hey I wonder if this stuff would have worked as well...............

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

Old 11-04-2011, 08:42 AM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Looks like alot of fun guys. Enjoy!

Hey I wonder if this stuff would have worked as well...............

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

That stuff looks easy to use for a road trip.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Day 3: New Mexico & Arizona
The next stretch took us from Albuquerque to Tempe, Arizona and EVOMS' HQ. There are some super-smooth, curvy and mountainous roads. The colors are something else...

Outside Albuquerque we saw plenty of red rocks:

Nobody at this Laguna complained about our Shark Werks exhaust in Sport mode.

A Navajo village in New Mexico:

There was no drinking and driving but we had to check it out.

On second thought, we decided to park further away to avoid door dings from all the other customers:

This train needs a little blue don't you think?

New Mexico was now behind us:

Finally we reached Arizona. The PCM 3.0 GPS did a great job getting us here. We only had one slip-up where it sent us on a 10 mile loop around Albuquerque to reach a hotel that was a block away (but it was a nice drive).

Look, a map, and only about 1200 miles too late:

A closer look at our route, which happened to be at another exceptional location for relieving oneself of urine (no pictures this time):

We were getting hit by a sand storm so we stopped for fuel and snacks. The local delicacy:

We love dinosaurs, which still live in these parts of the desert.

It's a diplodocus not a brontosaurus!

The baby t-rex is entertained by Dan's blue tape origami:

You can see for miles out here.

About 150 miles away from the Grand Canyon. It's not as grand, but it's just a baby canyon. A few million years from now, you never know.

Damn California tourists (at the Arizona border).

This trading post was out of stock of the RS 4.0 Carbon Fiber intakes.

We try to make you happy, but some wives are not thrilled with Shark Werks.

Tip of the day.
Once again the RS proved it's a great road-trip car. Sand/dust storms have nothing on dynamic cornering lights! They might weigh more than the standard xenons but in low light situations and curvy mountain roads they truly are trick.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Day Four: Tuning in Arizona
Today our journey ground to a halt in Tempe, Arizona. It rained heavily during the night but there was still a lot of driving to be done. Only this time; all in the aid of tuning on the Evolution Motorsports AWD Mustang Dyno. The 3.8 GT3RS motor in this car is deceptively strong. She baselined at a very solid 424whp (when converted comes out at around Porsche's claimed 450hp) and 301tq although with some changes we were able to get a few more ponies and torx and then some.

Sport Chrono check, Valentine 1 check, Big Bull horns check. Let's get started:

Once again we've been upgraded in the horn department. Not everything is bigger in Texas. This round goes to AZ.

There was no danger of being peppered with rocks and other debris on the dyno so off came our wrap. She looks good underneath:

Strapping her on to the dyno. EVOMS John to James, "Keep doin' what you're doing. You're doing a great job..."

Measuring the Lambda's- EGTs, AFRs etc:

Reading out the factory file:

Looks like there's a line to get on this dyno. A Grand Am race car?

Indeed Andy Lee's EVOMSit tuned *****in' Camaro

Work, work, work and plenty of files got created:

It's rude to point except when you have just added an addition 20hp to a 2011 GT3RS:

How much timing do you want? The factory file already calls for 30 degrees!

There you go in stock form, with our SharkWerks exhaust (6whp) and with the Software and Tuning (16whp). Peak horsepower numbers went from 424whp to 440whp and 301tq to 314tq. Very nice gains indeed and as you can tell from the dyno below the curve around 7000-8000rpms has been smoothened. What you can't tell from the dyno is the much improved throttle mapping and responsiveness. Revs much freer. Left-foot braking has also been coded into our 91 octane performance file.

Street driving, testing and logging:

OK now there's four of us here but only two seats. Which one of you is flying home on the remaining journey?

A prickly Cactus. We're still in Arizona but the car runs flawlessly:

On the road again and some 300 miles later at the Arizona / California border. We were hungry and it seemed like a good idea at the time. We came, we saw but we left hungry.

Our t-shirts don't look half-bad from the rear...

Tomorrow we're doing the final stretch from Palm Springs to the Bay Area...

Last edited by sharkster; 11-06-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:39 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
great thread alex!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
great thread alex!
Thanks man and glad you like it!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 AM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
Always a good idea to leave a few bucks in the console for the tuner...

Computer geeks have to eat too!

T.

P.S.: The painter's tape matches the color very well. I would bet that green painter's tape matches zKermit's color pretty good too... Is that your way of picking car colors? Beige for the next one?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shark Werks Goes on US Tour