997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche Bucket Seats Fitment for "Larger Fellas"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 05:51 PM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
Porsche Bucket Seats Fitment for "Larger Fellas"

I was looking at seat optionf for next season and the Porsche buckets have a lot going for them like reclining, airbags, good looking, easy installation, etc.(that is once you get past sticker shock, off course):
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ode=9972s_seat

Although I was able to sit in them in a GT3RS, my problem is that I do not know anyone who has these seats in a 2009 Carrera S like mine. So far my bottom and shoulders fit fine but I am worrying about the helmet clearance in a car that has a sunroof.

So I was wondering if anyone could give me a feel for the head clearance in a similar car with this seat option...

I am 6'2", about 230 with a 38" waist. I currently have the manual sport seats and ride them in the lowest position. But because I like a fairly upright driving position, I already have very little clearance for the helmet at the track. Would the buckets be better or worse?

Otherwise, maybe I'll have to think about getting a smaller head?

Thanks,

T.

P.S.: The other option I am looking at is Sparco's. Would Sparco Evo2 or Evo2Plus be better for head clearance?

Old 10-28-2011, 06:33 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
How could you fit in the sport buckets? I've sat in them and driven a car with them. They are TIGHT and I'm 5'10" 170. I had sport adaptives in my car and I wouldn't even get them next time around. I would definitely check out a Sparco or Recaro if I were you.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:15 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
Recaro SPG XL

I had one in my 996TT for track days. Find a Recaro dealer in your area, and try it on. I am 5'6" 195 lbs with a 40 inch waist and the seat fit me perfectly with a little room to spare.

To install it you will also need brackets, sliders, and perhaps harness mounts. Check it all out at Northstar Motorsports, that's where I bought mine a few years ago.

Google this seat and see it yourself.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
The problem with adding sliders and bases is that you keep using up head room. I've used sport buckets in my Cayman S and had plenty of room for my helmet. I'm 5'10" and 180 lb. with a long torso. I put a Sparco Evo II in my 09 Carrera S with side mounts, sliders and a Planted seat base. If I used the seat cushion I was very close on room for my helmet. Removing the cushion I had plenty of room. I didn't mind not having the cushion for the track but I did use it to drive to the track. I think a better solution for use on track would be side mounts bolted to the floor. However, I believe BK has a floor mount/side mount combo for the 996/997 series. The one I saw looked to be a good solution for maximizing head room. This does give up the slider.

tcouture - No luck on the suspension. The car is still sitting at the shop gathering dust.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:11 AM
LambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these parts
Get a race seat made to fit you. Probably cost you $5K but you'll take your driving to the next level and be comfortable. I just don't know how that would look in the PCar. Maybe you can get a matching unit for the other side.

Originally Posted by tcouture
I was looking at seat optionf for next season and the Porsche buckets have a lot going for them like reclining, airbags, good looking, easy installation, etc.(that is once you get past sticker shock, off course):
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ode=9972s_seat

Although I was able to sit in them in a GT3RS, my problem is that I do not know anyone who has these seats in a 2009 Carrera S like mine. So far my bottom and shoulders fit fine but I am worrying about the helmet clearance in a car that has a sunroof.

So I was wondering if anyone could give me a feel for the head clearance in a similar car with this seat option...

I am 6'2", about 230 with a 38" waist. I currently have the manual sport seats and ride them in the lowest position. But because I like a fairly upright driving position, I already have very little clearance for the helmet at the track. Would the buckets be better or worse?

Otherwise, maybe I'll have to think about getting a smaller head?

Thanks,

T.

P.S.: The other option I am looking at is Sparco's. Would Sparco Evo2 or Evo2Plus be better for head clearance?

Old 10-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Jam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud of
Forget the porsche bucket seats, they are not for you if you over 6' 200lbs. I have them and they perfect for me at 5'9 170lbs.
You may feel ok with you sit in them for a couple of minutes, but wont be comfortable about an hour later...

Last edited by Jam996; 10-30-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:36 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jam996
Forget the porsche bucket seats, they are not for you if you over 5'10 180lbs, max. I have them and they perfect for me at 5'9 170lbs.
You may feel ok with you sit in them for a couple of minutes, but will suffer about half an hour later...
I'm 6'2, 220. Recently did a 5 hours stint from AZ to CA. No issues. Helmet clearance, however, may be a problem.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I did a 5 hour drive with sport buckets without issue. Women tend not to like them.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
One important note for the OP. The seats you posted DO NOT recline. I am also looking at getting these seats and sat in two GT2 last week. I'm also a fat *** (actually, my *** is pretty skinny - it's the rest that's the problem LOL) 5'10" about 240. It's my incentive to lose some weight!

I brought my helmet and they are fine. As someone else said not sure how they'd be after a 4 hour drive though. The other option if helmet clearance is a problem is to remove the seat cushion. it's only held on by velcro. I did this with one of the cars I sat in and if i don't fit with my helmet and sunroof, I can do this.

If I get these seats my plan is to keep my A.S.S. and remove the GT2 seats after track season or if I know a long road trip is coming up. Switching them is not difficult.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 AM
MR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to behold
I'm 6'4" 230 (32" waist tho ). In the spyder the bucket seats actually sat a bit lower than the reclinable sport seats. The only reason that I opted not to get the bucket seats was the actual getting in and out of the car. Not so much a problem with the top off, but with it on there was way too much contorting needed for it to be reasonable as a daily driver. That said, I still kind of want the buckets!

Old 10-31-2011, 09:23 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MR2FAST
I'm 6'4" 230 (32" waist tho ). In the spyder the bucket seats actually sat a bit lower than the reclinable sport seats. The only reason that I opted not to get the bucket seats was the actual getting in and out of the car. Not so much a problem with the top off, but with it on there was way too much contorting needed for it to be reasonable as a daily driver. That said, I still kind of want the buckets!
Jeez, you must be shaped like a triangle

Old 10-31-2011, 12:06 PM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by E55AMG
One important note for the OP. The seats you posted DO NOT recline.
Sorry, I wrote "reclining" when I meant "folding".

Thanks for all the feedback, looks like I am going to need a GT3RS for a couple of days to make sure .

T.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:46 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hmm I will say it's going to be tight with a helmet they do sit a bit more upright than the buckets of old and factor in the sun roof?

Old 12-28-2011, 02:05 AM
stack24 is infamous around these parts
I'm 6 foot, 220 and have a larger frame with wider hips. Went and sat in GT2 to test those seats out and It felt nice and snug. Have to try a bit to get out of the seat of course but that's the nature of the design I guess. I can definitely see how girls wouldn't like the seat.