997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Best front license plate mount

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:48 AM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
States could make a ton of money if the offered Euro plates as an option.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:23 AM
jedwards is infamous around these parts
I like the idea of fitting the plate in front of the radiator....interesting concept.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I would be worried that the velcro would give at speed. I have the JCS Tow hook mount. It's not perfect but the least of the evils I could find.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:21 AM
fgv1it has a spectacular aura aboutfgv1it has a spectacular aura about
I just bought a Boxster for my wife, and I used a couple of "L" brackets that I had laying around to mount the plate in front of the center bumper opening. I screwed the L brackets to the roof of the plastic piece that seals the non-functional opening, and then I mounted the OEM plate holder to that. Even if you take the plate off, no holes are visible anywhere unless you lie on the ground and look up.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:56 PM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jedwards
I like the idea of fitting the plate in front of the radiator....interesting concept.
In the 09 C2s PDK, there is no center radiator. So it just sits in the opening.

Also, since it fits snugly, and the velcro grabs strong, no need to worry about losing it at speed. The further it goes in, the smaller the space gets, so it can't be pushed in further. I do agree that the tow hook plate mount is a good idea. This is just what I happen to use, and it is very easy to take on/off

Old 10-30-2011, 09:57 PM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fgv1it
I just bought a Boxster for my wife, and I used a couple of "L" brackets that I had laying around to mount the plate in front of the center bumper opening. I screwed the L brackets to the roof of the plastic piece that seals the non-functional opening, and then I mounted the OEM plate holder to that. Even if you take the plate off, no holes are visible anywhere unless you lie on the ground and look up.
Also a good idea. I almost did the same.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:58 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
I really like the Skene mount. It's a low-profile bracket that mounts using holes underneath the bumper lip, so they're not readily visible. There's a photo here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2665881
It's a very clean look, since there's no frame around the plate. It's also centered, unlike the tow hook.

The size that fits is the "extra short:"

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml
http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/Choose.shtml

Old 10-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RickB
Has that offset look which makes it a unique piece.
I find that offset look rather ugly looking. I don't see that as a better option to just mounting the plate in the center and being done with it.

The strange thing with vehicle plate code is that its a violation to take metal sheers to the plate to trim it down to just the numbers in a dimension that is similar to a euro plate. But its perfectly OK to cover up all of that real-estate with vanity plate frames that effectively obscure the same real-estate.

Maybe the real solution is to just register the car and get plates from a 1-plate state and be done with it.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Nurburg611 is infamous around these partsNurburg611 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RickB
I use the Mower Deck Axle tow hook plate holder here in Virginia. Easy on, easy off. Has that offset look which makes it a unique piece. I've had many compliments. Good luck.

RickB - the Mower Deck license plate holder looks like the best option out there. Did you ever have any issues with it? (car wash, higher speeds etc). Don't want this thing to bend or break and scratch the paint. What did you do with the little latch that shuts the tow hook thread? Many thanks!

Old 12-21-2011, 03:26 PM
RickB is infamous around these parts
@Nurburg611

No problems whatsoever. It uses a threaded aluminum mounting bolt that screws into the tow hook mount. Then the bracket for the plate, which is also aluminum, screws into the mount. I threw a little Loctite on the plate mounting screw for good measure, but it has a star lock washer also. I keep the little body-colored tow hook cover in the glove box.

It's solid as a rock, and I've never had it come loose...although i have never taken it through a car wash.

Anyway, I swear by them. Had one on my Cayman too.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:00 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Had the Skene mount and didn't like it, sent it back. Had another tow hook mount that wasn't terribly good. Went with a tow hook mount from WSTO. Really great quality and very reasonable. Highly recommended.