997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Best front license plate mount

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:14 PM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
Best front license plate mount

I've been meaning to share this for awhile. For those that are required to have a front plate in their state, I have found an easy solution. I generally keep my plate in my front trunk, unless planning on driving it a lot as a daily driver. I ended up bending my plate, to have a top and bottom flange (about an inch or so in width), top one bent forward, bottom one bent backwards, giving the plate a "mini-euro" look. I then cut the flanges dead center and bent it some, like the front of a boat (for aero reasons). I then attached velcro to the flanges and on the inside of the center bumper duct. It simply slides in until the velcro grabs. It doesn't block air, just deflects it L/R. It is clearly visible when mounted, displays the numbers properly, and doesn't require you to put screw holes in the bumper. If needed I can take some pics and post them.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:28 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MileHigh911
I've been meaning to share this for awhile. For those that are required to have a front plate in their state, I have found an easy solution. I generally keep my plate in my front trunk, unless planning on driving it a lot as a daily driver. I ended up bending my plate, to have a top and bottom flange (about an inch or so in width), top one bent forward, bottom one bent backwards, giving the plate a "mini-euro" look. I then cut the flanges dead center and bent it some, like the front of a boat (for aero reasons). I then attached velcro to the flanges and on the inside of the center bumper duct. It simply slides in until the velcro grabs. It doesn't block air, just deflects it L/R. It is clearly visible when mounted, displays the numbers properly, and doesn't require you to put screw holes in the bumper. If needed I can take some pics and post them.
Yeah, that would be great....can you post some? Thanks.

Tom

Old 10-29-2011, 10:00 AM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
Tempering with front is probably not the best idea if you wanted to avoid LE attention. To my knowledge that is illegal to show a plate without the top or bottom in Ma and CA

Old 10-29-2011, 10:09 AM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
In Colorado the stickers are on the back plate. I am not 100% sure what the law exactly is, BUT, no plate is illegal. Having a plate that is completely visible, and on the front of the car I would bet is more legal than no plate, or plate in the window. Funny though, in Colorado, there are so many illegals that never ever have plates. They have counterfeit paper tags. I see more clunkers driving around with paper tags it makes me sick. Only those that are rule followers get in trouble for breaking the rules. I'll still post some pics for those interested. Not sure why it would be illegal unless you are hiding the stickers (which I think are archaic anyway. The cops always call in your plate, the stickers are stolen all the time)

Old 10-29-2011, 10:28 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by K-E-V
Tempering with front is probably not the best idea if you wanted to avoid LE attention. To my knowledge that is illegal to show a plate without the top or bottom in Ma and CA
Same here in our area........guaranteed ticket for bending or cutting the front plate.But if it works where you are.....great idea!

Stacy

Old 10-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Name:  plate1.jpg
Views: 5967
Size:  142.1 KB

Name:  plate2.jpg
Views: 3675
Size:  115.7 KB

Name:  plate3.jpg
Views: 3456
Size:  149.5 KB

Name:  plate4.jpg
Views: 3517
Size:  198.6 KB

Name:  plate5.jpg
Views: 3538
Size:  118.8 KB

Old 10-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Next best option would be to bend the top flange just enough to screw it in and let it hang, so it looks like a "full plate".

Old 10-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Just looked it up at DOT website, in Colorado, drivers are required to display a front and rear license plate. Very simple terminology used. Doesn't say anything about bending plate. Funny how states are ok with designer plates, spoecialty plates, etc, etc. Also, motorcycles only have to display a rear plate. Seems like a law that needs to be changed anyway.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Just checked official colorado state law. Does not mention specifically bending. Only violation would be for the bottom of the plate not being at least 12 inches off the ground (it is only 9 inches). You can get a ticket for having dirt on the plate too. I doubt very many people evn understand the law. The fact that the DOT website says I need to have a front and rear plate, both visible, with the rear one having the tags...is good enough for me. At least I am trying to display it.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:23 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Man that is quite an idea..............thanks for sharing and the pics

Tom

Old 10-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
Looks good, I've been using the mower axle mount. I really only need to use it when I park at the airports here in Chicago, otherwise it remains in my trunk.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:57 PM
RickB is infamous around these parts
I use the Mower Deck Axle tow hook plate holder here in Virginia. Easy on, easy off. Has that offset look which makes it a unique piece. I've had many compliments. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:47 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RickB
I use the Mower Deck Axle tow hook plate holder here in Virginia. Easy on, easy off. Has that offset look which makes it a unique piece. I've had many compliments. Good luck.

thats what i have too! excellent piece!

Old 10-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Tcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to behold
Interesting solution. I haven't bothered to read through the CA MVC but is seems like a vinyl "Tag" would work fine. It might technically be illegal but it displays the correct info, is visible and I can't imagine a LEO in a moving vehicle going in the opposite direction would pull you over for it. And even if they did, I wonder if they know, verbatim, the MVC that pertains to the definition of a front plate.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RickB

Your car looks great!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best front license plate mount