997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Oil Level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 AM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
Oil Level

So all summers, my car showed the oil level as full.
Now that the temperatures have dropped, early morning it'll show me inconsistent oil levels as being one point low early morning and then other times during the day, it ll show me as full.

Is this something i need to be worried about>?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sameerg
So all summers, my car showed the oil level as full.
Now that the temperatures have dropped, early morning it'll show me inconsistent oil levels as being one point low early morning and then other times during the day, it ll show me as full.

Is this something i need to be worried about>?
No. The oil level varies with temperature. When you check the oil level cold the level will be down. About one segment on the display is about right based on my experience with my Boxster.

(With my other Porsche I can't check the oil level unless the engine is running and the engine is warmed up so there is no way to know the amount of variation the oil level has in this car arising from temperature variations.)

Anyhow, after the engine is fully up to temp and you check the oil you will find the oil level up a segment or so.

Now it may be the 997 model will warn you the car is not level enough to do an oil level check. If so nevermind...

But if it doesn't, then be careful that you check the oil level with the car as level as possible. I do not know how the level of the car affects the oil level reading of the 997 models but with my older car the level of the car can result in several segments difference. In extreme cases if the oil level is say mid-way and I park on a particularly cambered road the oil level can be low enough the warning light flashes. But since I keep a close eye on the level I know this is a false warning. (It also though reminds me at least one reason why I do not like to let the oil level get mid-way or lower before adding oil.)

Over time you will develop a feel for how much the oil level varies with temperature and levelness.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 PM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Macster
No. The oil level varies with temperature. When you check the oil level cold the level will be down. About one segment on the display is about right based on my experience with my Boxster.

(With my other Porsche I can't check the oil level unless the engine is running and the engine is warmed up so there is no way to know the amount of variation the oil level has in this car arising from temperature variations.)

Anyhow, after the engine is fully up to temp and you check the oil you will find the oil level up a segment or so.

Now it may be the 997 model will warn you the car is not level enough to do an oil level check. If so nevermind...

But if it doesn't, then be careful that you check the oil level with the car as level as possible. I do not know how the level of the car affects the oil level reading of the 997 models but with my older car the level of the car can result in several segments difference. In extreme cases if the oil level is say mid-way and I park on a particularly cambered road the oil level can be low enough the warning light flashes. But since I keep a close eye on the level I know this is a false warning. (It also though reminds me at least one reason why I do not like to let the oil level get mid-way or lower before adding oil.)

Over time you will develop a feel for how much the oil level varies with temperature and levelness.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks Macster.
That was quite a detailed explanation. I appreciate that.
I dont think we have a warning for the car not being level enough.
I had parked it on a slant once and the oil level showed almost the lowest demarcation.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:29 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Im in the same boat one day high one day low im always afraid that i will over fill when i add half a quart. I figure every 2k miles i add some. Its great when you want to see the oil leval duration time at 29.20 min what a pain!!

Old 11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Each bar is ~ 0.4 liters of oil. One quart is ~ 0.946 liters.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:35 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
All my other 911's were dry sump so the oil had to be checked when at normal running temp, while running. This 997 has the computer check which I have had no problems with, unless I'm doing something wrong.

At initial start up I turn the key on, not starting the engine, and wait for the computer to show the level. If level is down I pour about 1/4 to 1/3 of a bottle of oil in and recheck with the computer, if still low repeat.

When I attempted to perform the exercise when the car is at normal running temp it tells me it will take 20-30 minutes.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:01 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Do u run the car for a min before you check? Start run shut off and check

Old 11-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by na011
Each bar is ~ 0.4 liters of oil. One quart is ~ 0.946 liters.
My Service advisor told me that the the measuring between the top arrow and the bottom arrow on the gauge is 1 quart.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:52 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
My Service advisor told me that the the measuring between the top arrow and the bottom arrow on the gauge is 1 quart.
That's close enough. The owner's manual has the following:
"The difference between the minimum & maximum marks on the segment display is ~ 1.2 liters.
Each segment on the display corresponds to ~ 0.4 liter."

There are 3 bars between the arrows.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by na011
That's close enough. The owner's manual has the following:
"The difference between the minimum & maximum marks on the segment display is ~ 1.2 liters.
Each segment on the display corresponds to ~ 0.4 liter."

There are 3 bars between the arrows.

Aah Yeah!!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Deployed2009 is infamous around these parts
Alternatively, if the level is only slight down and you drove the car hard since last oil level check, you could have burned off condensation, causing a lower reading.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Below is the chronology of events from yesterday.

1. Upon cold start in the morning, Oil is low one bar. I drive it to work 12 miles away, check again, oil level is full.
2. Come back from work, park the car for two hours, then go back to the car, check, oil level is down one bar.
3. I go for dinner 5 miles away. Finish meeting with friends and dinner, spent about two hours, come back in the parking lot, check oil level, level is down one bar. I start it, go back home 5 miles, reach my garage and check oil again. Oil level still down one bar.

Question -
1. with the same chronology of events in the summers, the oil level always showed full. Now the temperature is in the 40s and 50s. Do i need to add oil? if yes, how much?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:23 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Below is the chronology of events from yesterday.

1. Upon cold start in the morning, Oil is low one bar. I drive it to work 12 miles away, check again, oil level is full.
2. Come back from work, park the car for two hours, then go back to the car, check, oil level is down one bar.
3. I go for dinner 5 miles away. Finish meeting with friends and dinner, spent about two hours, come back in the parking lot, check oil level, level is down one bar. I start it, go back home 5 miles, reach my garage and check oil again. Oil level still down one bar.

Question -
1. with the same chronology of events in the summers, the oil level always showed full. Now the temperature is in the 40s and 50s. Do i need to add oil? if yes, how much?
With an oil capacity of 8+ quarts, I see no reason to top off by 400ml to fill in that last bar.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:25 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
With an oil capacity of 8+ quarts, I see no reason to top off by 400ml to fill in that last bar.
+1

no need to try to get it to the top - 1 tick down is perfect and avoids the chance of overfilling.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:34 AM
mike993c2s is infamous around these parts
Don't worry about it. There's still plenty of oil in that engine as others have pointed out. Only fill up when you're halfway to "low".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Level