997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Adding rear wing to a base 2006 911 coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Adding rear wing to a base 2006 911 coupe?

In looking for a track car that also works as an occasional commuting car, I'm considering a base 2006 911 coupe. The car is silver, and I'd probably want to add a rear wing, partly for looks (looks a bit naked without it) and partly for downforce. Does anyone know if there are any problems with installing one, and roughly what the cost would be?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
IMHO, adding just the rear wing can make the car appear unbalanced without something like a GT3 front cover or add-on front spoiler to even out the look. There may even be an issue with increasing the down force at the rear without adding down force at the front end. I'm not an aerodynamic engineer (although I slept at a Holiday Inn Express once) but I think that was an issue with earlier models; maybe not so much with the newer models. I do love the look of a GT3 rear wing when combined with other styling cues (side skirts, front air dams, etc). Cost? Not cheap, for sure, with cost of the wing plus accessories, and adding in the fitting and prep and painting and such. Good luck with your search. Please post some pics of what you have done.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:34 PM
awcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the rough
No problems love it. But, if like privacy, don't get it. Get lots of thumbs up.

GT3TEK wing. Check out their web site. Great price also.

Attached Images   
Old 11-09-2011, 07:10 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Have several friends who have added a wing for tracking without adding anything to the front. No issues at all.

Sorry I dont know the approximate costs.

IMO there are many additions I would make long before the wing however. Including suspension and seats mods first.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:32 AM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Stock Aerokit is very fitting on the 997. My front facia has been turned to stock 997 for clearance purposes and retained the rear spoiler. Still looks great, handles great at high speeds, and I can clear the worst of driveways and curbs.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:02 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
I like this wing...I have already talked the owner, Carl down to $1000. I just have to order. It's a modern and smaller version of a whale tail....fiberwerks.com.

The other wing manufacturer that I talked to that impressed me on knowledge and attention to detail was the guy at Getty Designs. He was really helpful. Once again, flexible on price and will go the extra mile in prepping the wing for painting. They have a lot of different designs. I like their Duck Tails.

Attached Images   
Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 PM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
I bought the Getty design aerocab wing, not big and not too small in my opinion. Very quality piece that they gave me a great price on prepped for paint ($1000) since I pciked it up and paid cash. It also comes with the LED 3rd tailight already installed.

Removing the existing factory engine cover/spoiler is very easy and Getty will give you an instruction sheet on how to do it. It takes less than 30 minutes with a few basic hand tools. You dont have to do any programming changes to the automatic wing mechanism and you get no faults. The new wing mounts up with bolts that use existing holes so no drilling required.

My local body shop charged me $250 to paint it and it matches perfectly.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:16 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I realize that a lot of guys unequally yoke the aerokit but I feel that there has to be a tested purpose of the OEM design in its complete form . I also feel its (proportinally) an expensive upgrade to a used car of this age .

Those are just my opinions .

Old 11-11-2011, 04:02 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I realize that a lot of guys unequally yoke the aerokit but I feel that there has to be a tested purpose of the OEM design in its complete form . I also feel its (proportinally) an expensive upgrade to a used car of this age .

Those are just my opinions .
Based on the comments so far in this thread, my thoughts are along the same lines. I want to get the aerodynamics right, since the high-speed stability aspect is more important to me than looks. I'm also wondering whether investing $1K+ on this for a $43K car would be worth it (I was hoping it would be a lot less). Might be better to spend the money on performance-focused mods.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:26 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
I always think they called these things "spoilers" for a reason!

Old 11-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Two more considerations come to mind:

- The built-in automatic spoiler may be good enough for track use.

- For my situation, there are some benefits in avoiding drawing too much attention.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:28 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Have several friends who have added a wing for tracking without adding anything to the front. No issues at all.
imho it is a total waste of money to expect benefits from a little wing on a track. and putting on complete cup car aero kit is not practical for street driving.
for comparable price it will make way way more bang per buck to put in GT Gears LSD unit into base car. I got their TBD unit now and love it, car feels awesome with it in turn.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:45 AM
dblcrwn is infamous around these parts
GT3 style

I used a getty wing. If you shop around you can find them anywhere from 900-1200.
In my opinion it's ok quality but requires plenty of prep work

You will also need to pull pins from your stock harness or replace it
Then you will need to go see a dealer do they can turn off the auto rear wing and third brake light

Other than that it a real cool look