997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need DD suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 08:43 AM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Need DD suggestions

AWD, 30 mpg highway. Preferably a MT. Good for long commutes.
The only thing I know of that comes close is the Audi A4 2.0T Quattro.
Am I missing anything else?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:14 AM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
STI or Evo if you don't mind going the Asian route. Those cars are a blast to drive, but nothing on the inside like and Audi of course. Heck, the new WRX sedans are nice too.

Also the new Volvo R look pretty good, not sure if they still do the MT and AWD in it. I guess it all comes down to your budget and new vs. used.

But you can never go wrong with a nice A4 2.0t and an APR chip.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 AM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
But you can never go wrong with a nice A4 2.0t and an APR chip.
What's the story with the APR chip?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:53 AM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Very good gains over stock on the 2.0 turbo motor. Most dealers are ok with APR chips and also sell Stasis chips and upgrades at a higher price point with similar results:

APR
http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_up...sivl_long.html

Stasis - Dealer installed and approved by Audi, so you retain factory warranty.
http://www.stasisengineering.com/sig...ies-a4-20-2009

Last edited by DirtyVegas; 11-12-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:17 AM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
if you don't need the 2 extra doors, consider the TT 2.0T Quattro as well.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:20 AM
huy
huy is infamous around these parts
golf R should be out soon. should fit the bill nicely. or a TTS if you cant wait... which is the same thing but smaller... same higher output 2.0T, where a simple flash will get you over 300hp with improve mileage provided you can keep your foot off the gas.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by huy
golf R should be out soon. should fit the bill nicely. or a TTS if you cant wait... which is the same thing but smaller... same higher output 2.0T, where a simple flash will get you over 300hp with improve mileage provided you can keep your foot off the gas.
Will the Golf R have awd and 4 doors?

Old 11-12-2011, 04:11 PM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
Yes, there would be an option for 4 doors I believe and it only comes in AWD. It'll be the ride that I want as well.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Any info about front vs rear bias in the Golf vs the Audi A4? Is it essentially the same hardware? And how do their interior dimensions compare?

Old 11-12-2011, 05:17 PM
huy
Originally Posted by mseligson
Any info about front vs rear bias in the Golf vs the Audi A4? Is it essentially the same hardware? And how do their interior dimensions compare?
golf r is a haldex unit, which is fwd until slip is detected... haldex controllers can speed up that rear transfer to make for better performance driving. this is a more fuel efficient awd.

a4 uses a torsen style which is awd all the time, locked in whatever ratio is determined. stock understeers quite a bit, but you can change the ratio to a more rear biased one. this would be less fuel efficient.

don't know about dimensions, but you can fit 4 grown adults in comfort in a golf. talking 6 footers +. lots of room in those cars. the middle seat in the rear will fit an adult, but it will be a little tighter and probably only good for short trips.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:53 PM
So, even though the Haldex unit is only fwd until rear traction is needed, it understeers less than full-time awd? That's a bit counter-intuitive.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:44 PM
RudyP is infamous around these parts
I think the A4 is a good fit to your criteria. I use snow tires in winter so was willing to go with RWD and got an E92 M3 which I am very fond of but that doesn't meet most of your criteria.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:47 PM
huy
well the GTI is FWD and doesn't understeer, it is very neutral at the limit... so its more the car vs. the AWD. granted, AWD can cause understeer, it ultimately comes down to chassis tuning.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by RudyP
I think the A4 is a good fit to your criteria. I use snow tires in winter so was willing to go with RWD and got an E92 M3 which I am very fond of but that doesn't meet most of your criteria.
If I could do rwd i'd probably go for a 535 sport manual, or just keep my '09 528i sport manual. But I'm talking about some seriously long commutes on some fairly remote highway in the mountain west - between Albuquerque and Farmington. I need all the security I can get. Probably should be looking at an suv, but I don't like the idea of cruddy mileage.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:58 PM
ELUSIVE is infamous around these partsELUSIVE is infamous around these parts
We have an A4 2.0T Quattro Avant and with 4 snow tires it is a very capable winter vehicle. And you can get over 30 MPG on the highway easily.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need DD suggestions