997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Test Driving the Nissan GT-R ... Wow!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
As I think more about the GT-R, a big factor to consider is that used ones aren't a very good value. A 2009 model sells in the $55K to $75K range, depending on mileage, and the new price was around $70K to $75K, so little or no depreciation discount there. And for about $90K to $100K, you can get a brand new 2012, which has significantly more power and other upgrades. So I think a new one is probably the way to go, but it's not inexpensive, and at that price you're competing with cars like the new 991S, or used 911 Turbo or GT3.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:41 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
My offices are 30 minutes appart from one another and I am in both daily. I probably spend over 1.5 hours in a car driving every day so comfort was a very big concern for me as a DD. If I then had a different DD like I do now, I suppose I may not be as critical about the GT-R's comfort.

When this 911 goes, I will give the 2013 GR-R a new look and check out the improvements. As for speed until then, I get my thrills from my tuned S600 V12TT, which in a straight line is far faster than my 911.
My wife's first time ever at the drag strip (her very first run), she ran an 11.4, outrunning an SL65 V12TT with E/T street drag radials, and the intake slightly modified (it ran a 11.5).

This was before my new mods that added an additional 75whp.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
My wife's first time ever at the drag strip (her very first run), she ran an 11.4, outrunning an SL65 V12TT with E/T street drag radials, and the intake slightly modified (it ran a 11.5).

My experience has been that the AMGs launch poorly because of the RWD. The DCT in the GT-R is also superior to anything AMG has offered in the past.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:00 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
My experience has been that the AMGs launch poorly because of the RWD. The DCT in the GT-R is also superior to anything AMG has offered in the past.
That is why he used the drag radials. This wasn't a beginner. He was a seasoned drag racer. He thought I was joking when I told him, it was the first time she has ever lined up at the strip. She didn't even know when to let up (she lifted early).

+1 on the DCT.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:08 AM
That is why he used the drag radials. This wasn't a beginner. He was a seasoned drag racer. He thought I was joking when I told him, it was the first time she has ever lined up at the strip. She didn't even know when to let up (she lifted early).

+1 on the DCT.
Even with drag radials, I wonder if the S65 can get that power to the ground. How much g-force can be transferred through those tires?

Old 11-14-2011, 10:12 AM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
I never said that my MB was faster than a GT-R, I simply said that I have the speed if I need it in my DD.

You must be brave dragging yours, as I heard that with LC, Nissan was voiding warranty claims when trannys snapped. That was another thing about GT-R that rubbed me in a very bad way - Nissan voiding warranty claims on trannys that took a dive if launch control was used.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:39 AM
huy
huy is infamous around these parts
As I think more about the GT-R, a big factor to consider is that used ones aren't a very good value. A 2009 model sells in the $55K to $75K range, depending on mileage, and the new price was around $70K to $75K, so little or no depreciation discount there. And for about $90K to $100K, you can get a brand new 2012, which has significantly more power and other upgrades. So I think a new one is probably the way to go, but it's not inexpensive, and at that price you're competing with cars like the new 991S, or used 911 Turbo or GT3.
you also have to consider the new ones are faster. 2013's are said by Mizuno (father of the GT-R) to run 0-60 in 2.8 seconds... and 1/4 mile should be around 10.6-10.7 seconds. ring time has got to be faster as well. not that the original is a slouch, but for this alone, it may be worth getting a new one.

also consider the early ones were being marked up to $90k-$100k... so depreciation is bad for them.

Last edited by huy; 11-14-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:28 AM
TMC CL65 is a jewel in the roughTMC CL65 is a jewel in the roughTMC CL65 is a jewel in the rough
A couple of things:

I too had the same problem with GT-R's seats. I put the seat in a position that I normally would drive in...and my lower back would ache if I drove it for more than an hour (and I am still under 40 y/o). After fiddling with the seat position and raising it up almost up to a 90 degree angle...I found that I no longer have any back aches...even after driving for 2+ hours. It felt a little odd at first but now it seems normal and my back feels well supported.

There are so many different versions of launch control out there. My '09 GT-R has LC1...which is the problematic one. where you need to turn VDC (traction control) off...a big no-no for warranty purposes. So when I take my GT-R to the drag strip...I don't use launch control (not so much for warranty concerns...but would rather not abuse the clutch. My lighty modded (mid pipe, custom tune, drop in filters) GT-R ran best 11.163 @ 125.33 mph last Friday at MIR without launch control at a weight of 4,125lbs including driver (probably 3,890lbs w/o driver). I might try to get Nissan to do the LC2 flash which is less abusive and allows the clutch to slip a little and does not disengage VDC.

Tom

Old 11-14-2011, 12:55 PM
TimAD is infamous around these parts
The car is spectacular performance wise. Driving it is like driving a really fast sedan since the car is both big and heavy. It's an incredible machine all around but it still doesn't have the same feel to me as a 911 Turbo has. I think the GTR is almost TOO good, it takes a lot of the driving aspect out of driving BUT i have yet to drive something that surprised me as much as the GTR.

The power is there and i really noticed almost NO turbo lag. What other car can consistently run mid 11's in the quarter and drive your wife to dinner?

Old 11-14-2011, 01:13 PM
huy
huy is infamous around these parts
yeah, its insanely fast, yet its still practical... porsche turbo is similar, as it was Nissan's benchmark, but being someone's benchmark means it is slower... granted you can mod the turbo to attempt to reach the same levels of performance, but the GT-R is cheaper, so you are looking at spending way more than a GT-R going that route. at that point, all the extra money is for what? Prestige? Looks? Feel? all important aspects, but is it really worth it? also, if you took the price difference and modded the GT-R, you'd be killing Bugatti Veyrons... tempting proposition isn't it? lol.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
I never said that my MB was faster than a GT-R, I simply said that I have the speed if I need it in my DD.

You must be brave dragging yours, as I heard that with LC, Nissan was voiding warranty claims when trannys snapped. That was another thing about GT-R that rubbed me in a very bad way - Nissan voiding warranty claims on trannys that took a dive if launch control was used.
I apologize... I was not trying to say that you did... I was just saying that comparatively speaking - if you're impressed by the V12TT, that the GT-R is slightly faster (and the 2012 is even faster than the previous).

About the LC - Nissan is not voiding warranties on LC. I've launched mine quite a few times. No problems. The issue was resolved when our LC was reprogammed to be used with VDC-R (or on, or in my case with LC2 -off). I have the option of how much traction control kicks in, or any.

There are 4 different versions of LC. The only one that there was a problem was on the '09's, and they were reprogrammed (at the owner's consent) to LC2.

Now that there is LC4, it will only work on VDC-R, so you cannot misuse it.

This issue was resolved almost 3 years ago.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:38 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
For what they want for a new GT-R, I'd still buy the Porsche (even the "slower" C2S) without hesitation. To me on price alone it's a no-brainer, let alone the aspect of Porsche's indisputable heritage & refinement. I just can't get excited about the GT-R, even if they stuffed 1000 hp under the hood from the factory. Meh.

YMMV.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by TimAD
The car is spectacular performance wise. Driving it is like driving a really fast sedan since the car is both big and heavy. It's an incredible machine all around but it still doesn't have the same feel to me as a 911 Turbo has. I think the GTR is almost TOO good, it takes a lot of the driving aspect out of driving BUT i have yet to drive something that surprised me as much as the GTR.

The power is there and i really noticed almost NO turbo lag. What other car can consistently run mid 11's in the quarter and drive your wife to dinner?
If Nissan could make it lower, wider, and lighter, the car could potentially be taken to another level. Based on my one test drive, I do feel that the GT-R has more the character of an impossibly fast sedan rather than a pure sports car.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:59 PM
If Nissan could make it lower, wider, and lighter, the car could potentially be taken to another level. Based on my one test drive, I do feel that the GT-R has more the character of an impossibly fast sedan rather than a pure sports car.
Wider? No thanks - it already has one wide ***. Have you looked at one side by side with any other car?

Lower? No thanks - I like seeing over the Miata in front of me, and actually use my windshield while driving (I guess I like the practicality of the height).

Lighter? This would have a positive effect, I think. But the issue I have is - the car is extremely well balanced, and this would take some serious effort to reduce weight in the right places. It may even jack up the price even more.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Wider? No thanks - it already has one wide ***. Have you looked at one side by side with any other car?
Do you have numbers on the track width handy, so we can compare with the 911?

Lower? No thanks - I like seeing over the Miata in front of me, and actually use my windshield while driving (I guess I like the practicality of the height).
Sure, but it's a sports car, not an SUV. Getting the CG down can only help performance.

Lighter? This would have a positive effect, I think. But the issue I have is - the car is extremely well balanced, and this would take some serious effort to reduce weight in the right places. It may even jack up the price even more.
Has to have a positive effect, and they can still maintain the balance. Liberal use of aluminum and carbon fiber should help, and the car should still be an attractive bargain if the price increases by $10K.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Driving the Nissan GT-R ... Wow!