997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Test Driving the Nissan GT-R ... Wow!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:39 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
Do you have numbers on the track width handy, so we can compare with the 911?

Sure, but it's a sports car, not an SUV. Getting the CG down can only help performance.

Has to have a positive effect, and they can still maintain the balance. Liberal use of aluminum and carbon fiber should help, and the car should still be an attractive bargain if the price increases by $10K.
GT-R
Track width (inches) Front/rear 62.6/63.0
Overall width = 74.6 (including mirrors)

Porsche
911 Turbo Overall width = 72.9 (including mirrors)

I couldn't find track width on the Porsche website.

And I don't disagree that a lower CG would help performance, but I'm convinced it's the one area that doesn't need improvement. I think that extra care went in to create a car that can be used everyday (high visibility), while maintaining supercar performance. I don't think it's something that Nissan will 'fix', because I believe it took extraordinary engineering to create it the way they did (to go against the standard - lower = better concept that makes cars like the Lamborghini difficult to use everyday).

Last edited by jaspergtr; 11-14-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
GT-R
Track width (inches) Front/rear 62.6/63.0
Overall width = 74.6 (including mirrors)

Porsche
911 Turbo Overall width = 72.9 (including mirrors)

I couldn't find track width on the Porsche website.

And I don't disagree that a lower CG would help performance, but I'm convinced it's the one area that doesn't need improvement. I think that extra care went in to create a car that can be used everyday (high visibility), while maintaining supercar performance. I don't think it's something that Nissan will 'fix', because I believe it took extraordinary engineering to create it the way they did (to go against the standard - lower = better concept that makes cars like the Lamborghini difficult to use everyday).
Based on a quick search, the track widths of the 911 GTS are 58.6" front, and 60.9" rear, so the GT-R is wider (http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/pors...rt_chrono.html).

Old 11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Based on a quick search, the track widths of the 911 GTS are 58.6" front, and 60.9" rear, so the GT-R is wider (http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/pors...rt_chrono.html).
Do you still think it should be wider? Or is it just the height that makes it look deceivingly narrow?

I'll add this - if it was any lower, I would second guess it, as my daily driver. I like the visibility.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Do you still think it should be wider? Or is it just the height that makes it look deceivingly narrow?

I'll add this - if it was any lower, I would second guess it, as my daily driver. I like the visibility.
Yes, must be the height that makes it look less wide.

I'd still like to see it lower, and I have no major issues with visibility in my 911.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Yes, must be the height that makes it look less wide.

I'd still like to see it lower, and I have no major issues with visibility in my 911.
The 911 is probably the only other I could see as a daily. Everything else (that performs this well in this category) is just too low for me (R8, NSX, Z06, Gallardo, etc...).

Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 PM
stockid is infamous around these partsstockid is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
I drove the GT-R for over 30 minutes on the freeways and roads. It is amazingly fast, but that's it! The car has no personality, nor is it really engaging. Yes it goes fast and turns well, but there was nothing else that would keep me interested in the car. Interior is bad, seats are horribly uncomfortable and the suspension is so stiff that 30 minutes into it I just wanted to get out of it.

Once you get passed / tired of its acceleration, there really isn't much more to the car that I liked. And when you drive it civilized (as much as I hate to say it) you are then driving just another Nissan.

I think you need a really good reason to get a GT-R, because other than the track or street races, I couldn't really justify it. It's not a great looker, there is no exotic luxury or class. Like I said, this type of car only satisfies one need, which in my outlook is not enough to justify its ownership.
Dude, you hit it on the head! +1

Old 11-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
interesting thread. I was just talking to a friend tonight at dinner about GT-R being the bargain supercar. Went home and then re-read the R&T article on Veyron, Turbo S and GT-R. It really is a performance bargain!

@Jasper - do you know when the GT-R is due for next generation? any speculation that you have heard or read?

Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 AM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
No problem, we are all good.

Thanks for the update, it seems like much needed improvements seem to be made. I probably will be test driving the newer model sometime in the future when looking to upgrade. I do not think anyone dismisses the GT-R and maybe my needs will be different then.

I apologize... I was not trying to say that you did... I was just saying that comparatively speaking - if you're impressed by the V12TT, that the GT-R is slightly faster (and the 2012 is even faster than the previous).

About the LC - Nissan is not voiding warranties on LC. I've launched mine quite a few times. No problems. The issue was resolved when our LC was reprogammed to be used with VDC-R (or on, or in my case with LC2 -off). I have the option of how much traction control kicks in, or any.

There are 4 different versions of LC. The only one that there was a problem was on the '09's, and they were reprogrammed (at the owner's consent) to LC2.

Now that there is LC4, it will only work on VDC-R, so you cannot misuse it.

This issue was resolved almost 3 years ago.

Last edited by DirtyVegas; 11-15-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
@Jasper - do you know when the GT-R is due for next generation? any speculation that you have heard or read?
Before the GT-R was released, Nissan said 7500 plan to be sold in the US - 1,500 over 5 years, and had planned 3 different levels (which, is turning out to be different than we expected, but I'll explain this in a moment). Nissan front loaded the first year to around 2,400 to meet the demands of waiting customers. The 900 overage was supposed to be spread out over the following 2 years. The second year sold around the expected amount, but the 2011 absorbed the overage, and fewer were made.

The 2012 (DBA-R35) is supposedly the second generation of the model, with marked improvements in just about every area of the car, to include aero, ride comfort, handling, power, braking, electronics, etc...

There is now talk about the 2013 having even more power (and maybe even a few additional options in another trim level). This may be the 3rd different model upgrade.

My speculation is that Nissan won't stop at one year with the new power of the 2013. According to the original press release back in '07, '13 was supposed to be the last production year. I believe there will be a 2014, but after that - all bets are off - your guess is better than mine.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Before the GT-R was released, Nissan said 7500 plan to be sold in the US - 1,500 over 5 years, and had planned 3 different levels (which, is turning out to be different than we expected, but I'll explain this in a moment). Nissan front loaded the first year to around 2,400 to meet the demands of waiting customers. The 900 overage was supposed to be spread out over the following 2 years. The second year sold around the expected amount, but the 2011 absorbed the overage, and fewer were made.

The 2012 (DBA-R35) is supposedly the second generation of the model, with marked improvements in just about every area of the car, to include aero, ride comfort, handling, power, braking, electronics, etc...

There is now talk about the 2013 having even more power (and maybe even a few additional options in another trim level). This may be the 3rd different model upgrade.

My speculation is that Nissan won't stop at one year with the new power of the 2013. According to the original press release back in '07, '13 was supposed to be the last production year. I believe there will be a 2014, but after that - all bets are off - your guess is better than mine.
Seems crazy to discontinue a car which is apparently doing well. Are they not making much profit on it? And if they can get more "soul" into the car, which may happen with the 2012 or 2013, sales could really take off.

BTW, though the results will inevitably be disputed, Motor Trend recently ranked best driver's cars, and the GT-R came in 2nd, behind the Ferrari 458. The GT3 RS was third, and the Cayman R was fourth.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...r/viewall.html

Old 11-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Jasper.

I doubt that Nissan will ever stop producing the GT-R. It is the icon car in Japan with a long history. Without the NSX now, it is the only affordable supercar from Japan.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Thanks Jasper.

I doubt that Nissan will ever stop producing the GT-R. It is the icon car in Japan with a long history. Without the NSX now, it is the only affordable supercar from Japan.
Yeah, they won't stop making trhe GT-R, just the R35... To begin selling the R36.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:22 AM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
What impresses me about the GTR is that Nissan doesn't rest on it's laurels, for the 2012 and 2013 models they made substantial games in HP. I will have to drive one of the newer models, the 2009 I drove was rather harsh in the typical daily city driving I would use it for and it felt less nimble around the neighborhood than my C2S.

Oddly enough, spending 30 minutes behind the GTR made me appreciate the 100+ hours I have invested in Gran Turismo 5, albeit with a lot more visceral and auditory excitement

Old 11-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
If there was only ONE aspect I could keep from my 997.2 over everything else it offers it is its steering feel. There is simply nothing else I have ever driven that has a tiller that feels as good and satisfyingly 'weird' as those from 911's.

The power of the car I've gotten used to; same with the suspension and even its weight-bias (since 99% the Stability Control is left on).

Bringing this back to the feel of a GT-R.... The power and handling you not only get used to, but can only use 10% of the time AT MOST - but Your hands are holding (should be!) that steering-wheel 100% of the time.

H

Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Howie
Bringing this back to the feel of a GT-R.... The power and handling you not only get used to, but can only use 10% of the time AT MOST - but Your hands are holding (should be!) that steering-wheel 100% of the time.

H
Haha!! I present to you my commute:

warming up the car, heading through the residential area... Engine is warmed up, trans up to 140deg, turbos ready to go. Merge with traffic from a stop sign doing 60mph. Floor it while turning right, kicking the butt out a little, accelerating as quickly as possible, merging safely, braking - make a hard 90deg left... Approach a really tight turn in a 35mph zone, with a 15mph warning sign - take the corner at 30mph - lightly on throttle to keep the car rotating... And so on...

I use it every day. Sometimes these situations do not present themselves, but for those times, I'm thankful that I can pass pretty much any car I need to, in order to get out of traffic and enjoy my drive.

Note - I don't live in a big city anymore, so I can enjoy these things. But at some point, I have a thrilling drive every single day. That's what attracts me to this car. I don't have to set anything up, make any changes..., just increase speed, resume driving, and when the moment passes, reduce speed. I don't have to worry about being posted on youtube because I spun out in an intersection, or hit another car in the process.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Driving the Nissan GT-R ... Wow!