997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Test Driving the Nissan GT-R ... Wow!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:24 AM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
N i s s a n

one poster said it best IMHO, its still a NISSAN. Although nay sayers would say a P car is a cousin to the Volkswagon; I still have an easier time being in a German built sports car than Japanese, Lexus, Acura NSX maybe.......NISSAN GTR, Supra............not a long term investment IMHO....................

Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 AM
huy
huy is infamous around these parts
investment implies you will actually get some money out of it.. reality is the Nissan has less depreciation than a Porsche. anyways, i have decided i like the GT-R... i'll stick to my JDM cars.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:16 AM
Former Vendor
acuteperformance is infamous around these parts
I've had about 8 cars in my life (I'm 29) and have never kept one for more than a year. I've owned the 996 TT and now the GTR. I can say 100% I've had more fun in the GTR and am seriously considering keeping her.

Don't get me wrong though, I still see myself picking up another P-car one day.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:34 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Manifold
Have any of you driven one? If so, how do your impressions compare?
I think for a street car it is great as it is stealth, people do not treat it as a ferrari but it has great power.
as a track car it is not worth much as it breaks too often, apparently. it was a lot of interest to this car when it came out, same as to audi R8 but you will not see many of those on a track on any given day.
in my opinion if you search for a reliable track car - go with used 997.1 gt3 or gt3 rs. or stop tryinng to mix up things and built up dedicated cheap track car and get an expensive nice street car but do not take it to a track.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:38 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
as a track car it is not worth much as it breaks too often, apparently...
Please elaborate.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Rotor is infamous around these parts
Not doubting the performance potential of the GTR, but has anyone taken a good look? It's incredibly ugly IMHO. That said, someone once told me that my 997 looks like a frog.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rotor
Not doubting the performance potential of the GTR, but has anyone taken a good look? It's incredibly ugly IMHO. That said, someone once told me that my 997 looks like a frog.
I agree that it's not impressive looking, but that's an asset if you want a low-key supercar.

Also, I understand that the shape, with all its little contours, reflects serious attention to aerodynamics.

To my eye, the 997 frog looks great, though my daughter is ambivalent about it.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:54 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
GTR's looks are within its own domain. It certainly does not look like an exotic, but when you see it in person it definitely has a presence. It is big and mean looking, there is no denying that. I wish my C2S had a meaner face, but I would not be able to clear any of my driveways then. Hence a stock front end on an AeroKit car.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:59 PM
GaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really nice
Originally Posted by Rotor
My old '85 Targa and all pre-'93 911-type Porsches had the bug-eye / frog look but it was iconic/classic/legendary styling and should have NEVER been touched by Porsche. I wouldn't give the GTR incredibly ugly status... maybe just a little strenuous on the eyes.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
GTR's looks are within its own domain. It certainly does not look like an exotic, but when you see it in person it definitely has a presence. It is big and mean looking, there is no denying that. I wish my C2S had a meaner face, but I would not be able to clear any of my driveways then. Hence a stock front end on an AeroKit car.
Agreed. Reminds me of a military helicopter or tank.