997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Test Driving the Nissan GT-R ... Wow!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Test Driving the Nissan GT-R ... Wow!

In my search for a car to complement my 911S cab and C63 AMG, intended for a combination of track use and some commuting, I test drove a GT-R today. My impressions:

- Stunning acceleration. No real turbo lag that I could discern, and it does seem faster than even the 911 Turbo. Almost hard to believe that a car can be that fast (and make it look so easy). Maybe a car can be too fast?

- Has a sedanish feel. The seating position is higher up than the 911, so I feel more confident when driving the 911, though the GT-R clearly has remarkable grip.

- An engine sound unlike anything else I've heard. Smooth like a turbine ... or sewing machine.

- Fairly relaxed when driven casually. Some people complain about the ride quality, but I was fine with it, and like it firm anyway.

- I'm tempted to say it lacks personality, but it's probably more fair to say that it has a personality very different from the 911 and every other car I've driven. In a way, it feels like what I imagine a race car feels like (I haven't driven one). Or, it doesn't feel like a car at all, but rather some sort of alien speed machine.

Overall, I'd say that it's an incredible car which reflects incredible engineering, but I can't really decide whether I like it. May need to do another test drive.

Have any of you driven one? If so, how do your impressions compare?

Old 11-12-2011, 05:02 PM
huy
huy is infamous around these parts
yeah i agree with you... part of the magic must be the electronic trickery and it so throughly integrated, we can't really pinpoint it. i don't care for that, which is why i drive old cars... the NSX has traction control, which i permanently removed. its a beast, but it feels a bit odd... more seat time is definitely required.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:18 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
I drove the GT-R for over 30 minutes on the freeways and roads. It is amazingly fast, but that's it! The car has no personality, nor is it really engaging. Yes it goes fast and turns well, but there was nothing else that would keep me interested in the car. Interior is bad, seats are horribly uncomfortable and the suspension is so stiff that 30 minutes into it I just wanted to get out of it.

Once you get passed / tired of its acceleration, there really isn't much more to the car that I liked. And when you drive it civilized (as much as I hate to say it) you are then driving just another Nissan.

I think you need a really good reason to get a GT-R, because other than the track or street races, I couldn't really justify it. It's not a great looker, there is no exotic luxury or class. Like I said, this type of car only satisfies one need, which in my outlook is not enough to justify its ownership.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
In a way, the GT-R could be viewed as a much faster version of my C63, but without the raucous personality of the C63. The C63 routinely makes me laugh out loud; the GT-R was fast in a somewhat scary way, making me feel like I was hanging on for dear life.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:31 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
But that's it... you're not going to drive the car this way 90% of the time. I just do not see the reason to have it only to do bursts with fingers crossed that cops didn't see me. In a Porsche Turbo, even driving it slow is enjoyable and rewarding, not the GT-R. Driving that GR-R slowly sucks because that is when you start to see all its short falls.

Originally Posted by Manifold
In a way, the GT-R could be viewed as a much faster version of my C63, but without the raucous personality of the C63. The C63 routinely makes me laugh out loud; the GT-R was fast in a somewhat scary way, making me feel like I was hanging on for dear life.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:45 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
IMHO...no easier car to drive fast than the GT-R on the track.

Not what I would be looking for in a track car to improve driving skills.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:49 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
GT-R = fast.

Nothing more (for me).

Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 PM
mondego is infamous around these parts
I had a 2010 GTR for 2 days. I bought it used with a 5 day 500 mile limit to return it. The dealership was great... I was going to leave without buying it because I wasn't too thrilled about the initial test drive. They let me have it figuring getting used to the car would close me on it. I returned it after the second day and about 150 miles. The original poster summed up the car very well I think.

The car was fast, the gear changes were very quick in manual mode (but were terrible in automatic mode), and it handled very well. However, it didn't communicate the handling very well. I didn't get the sense of what was really going on when I pushed it, but it did stick like glue to the road. I also didn't like how high the ride was, it did feel more sedan-like.

Bottom line is it's a great car. The exterior grew on me. The interior, while no Porsche, wasn't terrible. It was definitely better than a corvette's interior. However, I enjoy my 997.1 S more. It's not often that you really go to the limits with these cars on the street (unless you're filming youtube videos it Dubai ). It's more about having fun, feeling the road when you corner, etc. At least it is for me. I just seem to have more fun with the Porsche.

It's strange because when I was in my teens and early 20's (before I could afford cars like these) I would always question why someone would buy a Porsche when they could have bought a Viper, or Z06, or some other less expensive car that was faster. Now I get it. There's a lot more to a car than it's quarter mile time. I still think the GTR is a great car, just not ncessarily for me.

Since I'm still in the market for a car, the choices seem to be narrowed down to a 997.2, 997.1 turbo or GT3, or hold out for a 991.

Even if I had the GTR, it still would have been a fun car to own. It's splitting hairs really!

Last edited by mondego; 11-12-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:58 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
2009 GT-R suspension is nothing like the 2012.

GT-R = fast, with a trunk that you can use, and standard electronics that don't add another $30k in options.

Other than that - it is personal preference.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
It was like I was in a driving simultor instead of car. Cool but seems like it would get old or maybe even boring after a while. A lot of bang for the buck but no soul IMHO.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Jungwook is infamous around these parts
the other side

I wonder what GTR forums write about when they talk about their hands on with a 911?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:31 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
... but no soul IMHO.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jungwook
I wonder what GTR forums write about when they talk about their hands on with a 911?
I figured there's gonna be bias here, but that's OK, since I share that bias.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Vrrooom is infamous around these parts
I'd like to drive one soon. Can't imagine a car that handles that well and is so fast being boring.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:56 PM
They probably do not think the non-turbo P car is even worth talking about so I do not think they give our cars much discussion, but that is because they do not know what they are missing.

If I had a GT-R and didn't get a 911, I would feel like it is one of the greatest cars built, and there would be a great deal of people, writers, and racers that would agree with me, just not in the P car crowd. Oh man... I wonder what I must sound like outside this forum? I would definitely be called a stock up d-bag.

I do not feel that great about myself now... I think I will take the 911 out today to the bar!

All that said, it is not as if people driving the GT-R can't afford a 911, so I guess it's just a different appeal of a vehicle to the driver.

Originally Posted by Jungwook

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Driving the Nissan GT-R ... Wow!