997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wow - Car and Driver's opinion on the 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 04:23 PM
911CSLover is infamous around these parts911CSLover is infamous around these parts
Wow - Car and Driver's opinion on the 991

Well C&D's perspective is exactly what we we had feared/assumed...

Granted, I'm not a C&D fanboy. I disagree with some of their content, especially their unwavering BMW love. I do think they've been major proponents of the 911 over the years though. This is surely an eye opener.

"Porschephiles may have been wondering at what point their beloved 911 ceases to be a 911 and becomes just a good sports car with an engine in the trunk. That day may have arrived"

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Last edited by 911CSLover; 11-15-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
there are many reviews out now (see 991 section).
The majority of journalists thinks that Porsche have outdone themselves once again. even the new electro mechanical steering wasn`t really an issue.

the 991 may not be a typical 911, not as tricky, some of the fear factor may be missing but i don`t think that being closer to perfection will stop this new 911 from becoming the most successful 911 in history.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 11-15-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:42 PM
ROD
ROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 911CSLover
Granted, I'm not a C&D fanboy. I disagree with some of their content, especially their unwavering BMW love.
Didn't you know, BMW makes the best cars ever..period!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 PM
911CSLover is infamous around these parts911CSLover is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
there are many reviews out now (see 991 section).
The majority of journalists thinks that Porsche have outdone themselves once again. even the new electro mechanical steering wasn`t really an issue.

the 991 may not be a typical 911, not as tricky, some of the fear factor may be missing but i don`t think that being closer to perfection will stop this new 911 from becoming the most successful 911 in history.
One must define success. If sales is a simple indicator of success than I agree. This platform should expand the audience greatly... But is that what the 911 is about?

Old 11-15-2011, 05:37 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911CSLover
One must define success. If sales is a simple indicator of success than I agree. This platform should expand the audience greatly... But is that what the 911 is about?

i know what you mean. But there are always the ups and downs, smiles and frowns when a new model arrives but sacrifices have to be made (CAFE standards, pedestrian safety etc.) and then there is the computer, that gets more and more into cars.

the 991 wants to be the benchmark in all departments. the best in performance, quality and luxury and for that matter i think the car will be a huge success. It`s more all around livable and drivable and as long as it´s faster (and the 991 is significantly/14 seconds faster than its predecessor round the Ring), people won`t care too much about the "animal being tamed" and for the hardcore enthusiasts there will always be a next GT3, a Singer 911 or an older air-cooled beast.

P.S. i like that comment on the article:

"This article is unfairly written and quite biased. The 911 is supposed to incrementally improve upon it's forebears; what's wrong here? Nothing. Just a nostalgic purist whining about the past and that his good ol' Porsche can now be driven by "anybody." Boohoo, get over it, it's a better 911 in every respect. Stop tripping over the arbitrary minute points of criticism like the interior."

(couldn`t agree more )

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 11-15-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:11 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Before I comment about the C&D article I'll say this: I was not happy initially with what I saw in the 991 and was vocal about it. Well, that has changed. There are still things I'd prefer to be different; but nothing that has kept the car from growing into hearty acceptance for me. I DO plan on buying one. And that takes nothing away whatsoever from my affinity for the 997.2 or other specific 911 variants.

But the statement the author of the article made in his first paragraph (not to mention his closing statement) is, well, ridiculous: "...the new Porsche 911 Carrera is a better car in every way. Which means it’s less like a Porsche 911 than ever, because let’s face it, much of what made the model an icon have been its eccentricities."

That's like saying your car's ignition not firing properly is less of a car once you fix the problem. It's saying that to take the 911 platform closer towards perfection (or as good as it can possibly get overall- which begs the question what is GOOD?) working out bugs, quirks and nasty habits; neuters it being a 911.

Nonsense. He can switch off the electronic stuff and let the rear-end kick out all day long; or be quiet and go drive a 3 series or something.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 11-16-2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:01 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
in my own opinion the world is changing and so should the 911, for those who do not want to progress they can have the air cooled models as they become more avalible from those who have moved on. Porsche is maintaining whats important, so maybe its just time to own both old and new models. Either way they are a car company and they need to sell to exist, finding new ways to do so is a must if they plan to remain

We need to embrace them for this new&old design progressing balance

or one day it will be a memory. I for one would rather see it keep going

Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 PM
scrpionkng is infamous around these parts
less than a 911 than ever? These guys seem to have a skewed viewpoint

Old 11-15-2011, 10:56 PM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
Having owned a 996TT and loving every visual angle of that car I must say the two things on the 991 that I can't yet get over are the sloping interior console and the rear end. I love the front and everything else.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:21 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
When I read the reviews lsited on the 991 forum I got the feeling they were all written by the same person.

This one certainly is different.

No one knows who has it correct till we can judge for ourselves.