997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyone else winterizing yet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:29 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
have fun

Last edited by lopro; 11-21-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:36 PM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lopro
not sure why anyone would want to drive there p car in the snow anyways. Got to have some respect for a 60 to 150K car
So people in Scandinavian countries are disrespecting the P-cars? What's the logic behind this? It's a car and it's made to be driven, not stored away.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:47 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
wow man wow. im just saying salt is killing cars. Not sure how they deal with it in your area but we get bucket loads of salt, when the spreyer goes by it pelts the side of the car taking paint and leaving a load of a mess. No need to fight about it bud.. Toronto roads are pure white with salt in the winter. Its a nightmare honestly. I mean no disrespect you bought it drive it however you like dude. im just saying with logic that I work on cars with rusted salted bolts all siezed to hell and It makes me gringe. Surly someone with the means to pay for a porsche can buy a lesser car to troll around in over the winter months. but once again no need to get all hot and bothered, im for the forum and p cars and the people that like them more than anyone right now. I mean everything I say in a positive manner. Besides I drive the wheels right off my car but once track seasons over I park the car. again no bad blood here, I prefure winter driving in a cheerper car that I dont have to worry about. hell, my mestake and to each their own tho
best of luck. Not sure why it was such a big deal. I hate winter in general because it ruins my car, i wish it wasnt so but fact of the matter is, winter is hard on cars its a known delema

Last edited by lopro; 11-21-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:15 PM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
I lived in Boston and Madison, WI for a combined 11 years before moving out here in Seattle. I have driven through snow storms getting to work for years. None of my cars have had major body / mechanical problems from driving through snow. It's really how you care for the car that matters the most. Even a Porsche is still a car, it's meant to be driven on the road, rain, snow, or shine. A car is really not meant to be an investment since it would invariably depreciate. So, from my POV, just enjoy the drive.

Originally Posted by lopro
wow man wow. im just saying salt is killing cars. Not sure how they deal with it in your area but we get bucket loads of salt, when the spreyer goes by it pelts the side of the car taking paint and leaving a load of a mess. No need to fight about it bud.. Toronto roads are pure white with salt in the winter. Its a nightmare honestly. I mean no disrespect you bought it drive it however you like dude. im just saying with logic that I work on cars with rusted salted bolts all siezed to hell and It makes me gringe. Surly someone with the means to pay for a porsche can buy a lesser car to troll around in over the winter months. but once again no need to get all hot and bothered, im for the forum and p cars and the people that like them more than anyone right now. I mean everything I say in a positive manner. Besides I drive the wheels right off my car but once track seasons over I park the car. again no bad blood here, I prefure winter driving in a cheerper car that I dont have to worry about. hell, my mestake and to each their own tho
best of luck. Not sure why it was such a big deal. I hate winter in general because it ruins my car, i wish it wasnt so but fact of the matter is, winter is hard on cars its a known delema

Old 11-21-2011, 03:01 PM
D-squared is infamous around these partsD-squared is infamous around these parts
Moved her to the far bay in the garage. Polished her up. Battery tender on. Snug as a bug in a rug under her cover.

Won't bring her out again until spring. :-(

The Jeep is my winter car.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:07 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
Before I found my current car, I looked at 2 other ones. Both, once on a lift were corroded beyond belief, more then my '78 civic! It was unbelievable that a car can look like that in just 4-5 years. That's why I can bring my self to drive the Porsche or my M3 in the winter. I got a Toyota Tundra for that, which btw is a great truck.

Also to get my winter speed fix I got into snowmobiling, which is simply unbelievable, if you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.
180hp on 500lbs machine, open lake, there you go...

Old 11-21-2011, 05:34 PM
gibbonsc4s has a spectacular aura aboutgibbonsc4s has a spectacular aura about
I'm going to have to provide some context as a fellow resident of Toronto: commute times double at the sight of a snowflake, there's one or two minor dumps per year, and an 8cm (3") storm shuts down te city and gets its own name (snowmageddon 2010).

I'm originally from Montreal.

Btw Joey I attended a wedding you photographed (I noticed your yellow 911 - you have vanity plates with some sort of photography theme and a j in it no?) Anyway great shots but get a set of snow tires and enjoy the car!

Old 11-21-2011, 05:41 PM
gibbonsc4s has a spectacular aura aboutgibbonsc4s has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by joee76
I envy all you non-aerokit owners. Unfortunately for me, I'd be the neighbourhood snow plow if I tried to drive my C4S through the winter here in Toronto.
I'm going to have to provide some context as a fellow resident of Toronto: commute times double at the sight of a snowflake, there's one or two minor dumps per year, and an 8cm (3") storm shuts down te city and gets its own name (snowmageddon 2010).

I'm originally from Montreal.

Btw Joey I attended a wedding you photographed (I noticed your yellow 911 - you have vanity plates with some sort of photography theme and a j in it no?) Anyway great shots but get a set of snow tires and enjoy the car!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 AM
D-squared is infamous around these partsD-squared is infamous around these parts
+1 on the corrosion concerns. I had just taken off my exhaust tips and polished them up a few weeks ago. We got a freak October snow storm. I drove on the streets that still had some salt on them, and my exhaust tips are corroded already!

I agree that Porsches, especially the 4 wheel drive ones, are fine in bad weather. But it will damage the cars. And fact is, the high performance tires are not recommended for temperatures under 40 degrees. My 4S's rears are too wide to replace with snow tires, so those are the main reasons I put it away.

Oh, one more reason: there are too many idiots on the slippery roads who don't know what the hell they're doing.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by D-squared
I agree that Porsches, especially the 4 wheel drive ones, are fine in bad weather. But it will damage the cars. And fact is, the high performance tires are not recommended for temperatures under 40 degrees. My 4S's rears are too wide to replace with snow tires, so those are the main reasons I put it away.
I use the same set of 18" winter wheels on my 4S that I used on my Cayman. If you ever wanted to take the 4S out in winter, there are plenty of options for 18"s that can take winter tires.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by D-squared
+1 on the corrosion concerns. I had just taken off my exhaust tips and polished them up a few weeks ago. We got a freak October snow storm. I drove on the streets that still had some salt on them, and my exhaust tips are corroded already!

Oh, one more reason: there are too many idiots on the slippery roads who don't know what the hell they're doing.
Pirellis Sotozero II's will fit your wheels and are N1 rated Porsche approved. I have a set on dedicated rims for my C4S in 295/30/19 rears and 235/35/19 fronts ( front size is easy to find ) and while I don't plan on driving it in snow storms I won't be putting the car away just because it's winter. Hard top is already on the car, winter mats are in place and exterior has been cleaned and waxed to offer added protection from the elements.

Last edited by Dadio; 11-22-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:22 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
is it winter already ??

=)

Old 11-22-2011, 03:13 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
I don't drive my Porsche because it's winter, I don't drive it because there is an inch of salt on the road.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 AM
farfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond repute
Winter

besides the Snows and Hardtop, my dealer programmed my Heated Steering wheel to go on w my Heated seats.
No need to wear gloves in car now.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
I'm winterized... the winter tires are on, and I drove in the rain today with them... all is good for winter. Bring it on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else winterizing yet?