997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Harness without losing back seat.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:49 PM
DocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud of
Harness without losing back seat.

Is it possible to install a 5 point harness without sacrificing the back seat? I would like to still be able to use the car as a daily driver and be able to take my kids to school.

During a recent DE I was really struggling to downshift while braking and turning. With both feet in motion there is no way to stay in proper driving position without a harness and racing seat. I suppose there are racing seats that still allow someone to get into the back seat but don't the harnesses require a harness bar or roll bar? That pretty much ends it for back seat passengers.

Is there a removable harness bar?

Maybe I just need to pony up and do a spec car

Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
the problem with a harness bar racing seat combo without a roll bar is that you risk a walk away roll over accident (can happen and not be your fault at all) turning into a fatality as the harness and seat will keep you erect while the top of the car smashes your head like a pumpkin...forget it or do it right....there is a cg-lock device for the stock seatbelts that will help hold you in place while tracking until you can make the changes

Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
forget it or do it right....there is a cg-lock device for the stock seatbelts that will help hold you in place while tracking until you can make the changes
Chuck is right. My racing experience and my professional side both agree. Hate to say it because I share your temptation about adding four-point belts at least. They do make removable harness bars and you can even get racing seats that go in and out fairly easily for a race weekend, which would allow a full five-point set-up. But the bottom line is your top line. A useful roll bar isn't removable.

I can endorse the CG-lock though. It holds the lap portion of a standard belt tight at whatever point you choose, and that in turn holds your lower body in place. Mostly. Not as well as a three-inch five-point set-up, but it is a distinct improvement. The upper body is still a problem though. Manageable, but annoying.

Gary

Old 11-23-2011, 05:31 AM
DocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud of
Thanks for the input. I think I see the writing on the wall. Unfortunately that means selling my daily driver to make room and $ for a track car.

I don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

The upside is that there are a group of guys building up a spec 996 class around here that would make for some serious fun.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Thomas9181 is infamous around these partsThomas9181 is infamous around these parts
Especially if you are just starting out with DE, etc.... get a 944Turbo, have fun, learn and get into the game for low bucks.

In any case, get a roll bar, 6-pt harness and be sure to get a HANS (saved my life).

Old 11-23-2011, 08:05 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DocMartin9
Is it possible to install a 5 point harness without sacrificing the back seat? I would like to still be able to use the car as a daily driver and be able to take my kids to school.

During a recent DE I was really struggling to downshift while braking and turning. With both feet in motion there is no way to stay in proper driving position without a harness and racing seat. I suppose there are racing seats that still allow someone to get into the back seat but don't the harnesses require a harness bar or roll bar? That pretty much ends it for back seat passengers.

Is there a removable harness bar?

Maybe I just need to pony up and do a spec car
I'm in the same boat. Finally decided that I can only go so far with the stock seats and belts.

I am going the roll-bar, harness and gt3 seat route.

The back seat is going to be history but I never used it much anyway.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 AM
HANS saved your life? Sounds like an interesting story. Probably an expensive one as well.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Yossarian is infamous around these parts
Same question

Guys,

I saw this post, it is a bit old but I was thinking the same thing....

I know I can get a removable seat, but is there a specific reason I cant get a removable roll bar? The seat comes in and out pretty easy, even if the roll bar is a bit harder, it would seem like you could unbolt it?

Also, given that I might one day sell my car, does the roll bar require a lot of drilling? I don't care for me, but I should be a bit careful on resale?

I have a 997.2 c2s 2010.

any suggestions on setup would be helpful as well. I think I will go with the one seat option, I know I cant take passengers on the track, but... well I don't actually care about that.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:07 PM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Just found this: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...o-p-74008.html

Looks interesting. Now, I wonder which seat would accept a harness and be supportive on the track, but still work for daily use with stock seat belts?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:50 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Yossarian
Guys,

I saw this post, it is a bit old but I was thinking the same thing....

I know I can get a removable seat, but is there a specific reason I cant get a removable roll bar? The seat comes in and out pretty easy, even if the roll bar is a bit harder, it would seem like you could unbolt it?

Also, given that I might one day sell my car, does the roll bar require a lot of drilling? I don't care for me, but I should be a bit careful on resale?

I have a 997.2 c2s 2010.

any suggestions on setup would be helpful as well. I think I will go with the one seat option, I know I cant take passengers on the track, but... well I don't actually care about that.
look at the DAS bar. 2 piece design so only one seat removal is necessary for install/uninstall. bolts to existing seat belt bolt location and to the shock tops. this is the cheapest, least invasive design out there for a bar that goes to the shocks. and you dont have to do any drilling or cutting (save for the carpet over the shocks, BUT you can get around that by simply leaving the shelf carpeting piece out when the bar is in stalled). GMG and RSS bars, while good products, are one piece and recommend trimming elec conduit panels beneath the carpets as well as may require heavy muscle to torque them/get them installed properly.

Originally Posted by rye595
Just found this: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...o-p-74008.html

Looks interesting. Now, I wonder which seat would accept a harness and be supportive on the track, but still work for daily use with stock seat belts?
you can use stock belts with the GT3 or GT2 buckets. pricey but worth the $, hold their value for the most part, and are designed for your car on both street and track. i bought the GT2's last year and love them.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Thomas9181
Especially if you are just starting out with DE, etc.... get a 944Turbo, have fun, learn and get into the game for low bucks.

In any case, get a roll bar, 6-pt harness and be sure to get a HANS (saved my life).
+1

But jesus, HANS saving your life would definitely be a totalled car.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MBENZF1
+1

But jesus, HANS saving your life would definitely be a totalled car.
No, that is not correct with respect to the condition of the car. The HANS is designed to keep your neck from snapping in a frontal impact and to a lesser extent a side impact. The HANS was developed after Dale Earnhardt lost his life. The impact speed when his neck broke was estimated to be 35-40 mph. Your car can be quite fine and you can be quite dead.

I use one of these which is fully compatible with a 3 point belt system. You're starting to see more of them around. Hope this helps.

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/head-...brid_rage.html

Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rye595
Almost any racing seat will accept a harness. You will have to sit in a variety of seats to decide which one will prevent fanny-fatigue for you. Everyone is built differently and every seat is also.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
The system Steamboat lists is what I was using when I crashed my CS2. I didn't total my car but the other guys was totaled. It was an offset frontal hit.