997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Misfires and noisy lifters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Misfires and noisy lifters

Hey, what do you guys think of this:
I bought my CPO C2S in May 2010 with 12k miles on it. I drive it very regularly and now have 32k on the clock. I washed it on Thursday, then let it sit until today (Tuesday). When I pulled it back into the garage after the wash, the wife commented that it was a bit noisy. Today, it was very noisy, i got a check engine - visit workshop alert, and it seemed like more smoke coming out as would be expected for the low 40s temp, but in the garage.
I had it towed into the dealership and here's the report on my receipt, which I discussed with the techs, of course:

"Customer states check engine light on. Runs rough. Fault memory: 1) P0300 DME: Mult misf det. 2) P0301 DME: Cyl 1 misf. 3) P0306 DME: Cyl 6 misf. 4) P0305 DME: Cyl 5 misf. 5) P0303 DME: Cyl 3 misf. Veh eng lifter noisy. Oil service was performed. Misfire counter checked with engine running. No misfires present at this time."

Sorry for all the gibberish, but I think most can decipher that, and it pretty much tells the story. They say that this is common, but random, and shouldn't happen regularly. Nothing to worry about, etc. Has anyone else had these issues? Of course I did a search here and found some occurrences, but it seemed to be related to cars stilling for long periods of time, and I don't think 4 days qualifies.

Last comment is that the car was due for an oil service, and that's why it shows up. They test drove before and after the oil service. Since it was under warranty, I just paid for that: $200

My car is off warranty in late May, so I don't want to be stuck with any issues...

TIA for any comments or insight

Last edited by Jack667; 11-29-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:16 PM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
No idea, but interested. Keep us updated if any changes.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM
997_rich is infamous around these parts
was it possible that it was low on oil? if you're low on oil and the car sits the hydraulic lifters don't pump up.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 997_rich
was it possible that it was low on oil? if you're low on oil and the car sits the hydraulic lifters don't pump up.
Nope - I check it regularly and recently topped it off. It sat for 4 days, max...

Also - my wife noticed the sound when it was driven every day. Then it sat for max 4 days and I noticed it...

btw - thanks for the comments and thoughts. I hope there's an explanation that will put my mind at ease, but I kind of doubt it...

Last edited by Jack667; 11-29-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:46 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Did they check the coils? I had a similar issue in August (~ 60,000 K on the odo). I thought it was a bad MAF. Turned out to be a misfire on cylinder 5 due to a bad coil. Fixed under warranty.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:42 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
+ on the coils. You mentioned "after a wash"... coils and water don't mix well.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:36 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
an oil change as a remedy for lifters knocking and misfires - it is something new to me.
drive car in same way a bit and listen carefully if it will do same again. I think dealer decided not to do anything until you will come with a second claim, it is quite typical.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:00 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Curios as to what oil you have been using and what it was replaced with?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
How much water was the motor exposed to? I've tried to "clean" the motors in my Audi's and the usual result is that they either don't run at all or they run poorly for several days thereafter. Not sure if it's the coils or what but once everything dries out, all is well. I haven't made the mistake with my TT. Interestingly, my detail guy who is quite good, imo, won't steam clean a Porsche motor. He thinks there are too many things that can be affected, fwiw. I'd see how it does in a few days and if the problems are resolved, it's probably an H2O thing. Hope that's all it is. Best,

Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm using stock oil, and I imagine the dealer is as well. Mobil One 0-40, right? I could go check, and I should know as there are like 20 quarts in my garage thanks to a deal at Autozone.

As far as the wash goes, it was a standard exterior wash by hand, same as I always do. No water to the engine, other than what would get in with a regular hand wash.

Regarding the oil change, sorry to not be clear. They started it up, ran diagnostics, then let it warm up to temp and the tech test drove it. The issue seemed to clear at that point. Then they changed the oil, per my request, and per standard service interval. They checked everything again after the oil service and it was still running like a top, and no new codes for misfires, etc. The oil change was not performed as a remedy for the issue.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
It still might be a coil. My car would run rough for a while before it eventually threw a code.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:51 AM
RoninW is infamous around these parts
bring it back to the dealer... if this came about after the wash, your coils are most likely cracked, which is very common on the 911s.... sure there are issue with lifters, cam sensors etc. but i see that mostly with high mileage cars.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 AM
also, check what they've filled out on your copy of the cpo paperwork, your vehicle should have had the spark plugs changed as your vehicle is at the 4+yrs mark

Last edited by RoninW; 12-01-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:42 AM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RoninW
also, check what they've filled out on your copy of the cpo paperwork, your vehicle should have had the spark plugs changed as your vehicle is at the 4+ mark

Not to hijack, but is that std for a CPO car to have plugs done at 4k?
I never received my CPO paperwork, and I am very curious now (09 C2S with 8100 miles).

Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Not to hijack, but is that std for a CPO car to have plugs done at 4k?
I never received my CPO paperwork, and I am very curious now (09 C2S with 8100 miles).
sorry, i meant 4yrs. your vehicle gets them at 40k or 4 yrs. How long has it been since you bought the vehicle? You need to get those papers. If youd like PM me your vin and i will atleast check if they certified the car to begin with....

Ryan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Misfires and noisy lifters