997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

what's the fastest you've ever been CAUGHT driving, ad how did it go?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 AM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
LOL, not sure where you live, but reckless driving is a lot less hassle than that. Plus you get a lawyer to take care of it.

Originally Posted by kitw
Someone, who shall remain nameless, when he was 19, had a Nissan NX2000 with a Place Racing cold air intake and a Hotshot header, with some homemade catback. This crazy lawbreaker got a 138 in a 65. Luckily, since it was a completely deserted road at Midnight (well, except for the CHP), he got a VC 22348b, Speeding over 100 - 2 points, $1000 fine, 30 day license suspension.

And, $6000 per year for insurance for the next 5 years...

I'm just glad it wasn't a reckless driving charge, which it certainly could have been.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:31 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Back in the late 1970's, I was caught driving 110 mph in a 55 zone. Worse, I was caught 4 times in the span of 6 weeks all over 100 mph.
At the time I was in college with a fast car having fun in the open plains of Oklahoma.
Thankfully, none of those tickets appeared on my licence. Each time I paid the cop over $100 and was let go.
After the 4th ticket, I knew it was time to slow down. Instead, it took almost falling into a ditch and spinning in the road to realize it was time to drive more safely.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:24 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Not unless you're doing a 24 Hours of LeMons and they wrap you up in Saran Wrap and make you eat a meatloaf before letting you go!
nothing as cool as that unfortunately...

Old 12-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
Last October, I was caught 'allegedly' travelling at 100mph on a 60mph freeway. Got a ticket for $1850 and 6-month suspension (draconian Australian NSW road rules).

Took the cops to court; a case which lasted over a period of 12 months (during this period, the suspension and ticket is suspended until the matter is heard).

But during the 12 months I was harassed by cops pulling me over for 'random' alcohol tests etc, wasting my time...

Represented myself in court, cost me nothing to do so, and won.

This was last month... The harassment has now stopped.

Cops had nothing on me.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:45 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Last year, gorgeous highway running alongside Lake Mead in Nevada, 80 degrees and sunny, in a rented C2S cab, 100mph in a 55. Amazing driving roads, loving every minute of it until I snagged. Cop wrote me for 90mph.

I learned a lesson on that one: don't ever speed in a national park. The LEO was a fed and wrote me a ticket to the US District Court, mandatory appearance. Turns out Congress passed a law many years ago that sends the proceeds from National park violations to victims of domestic violence. The federal judges seem to view this as a reason to impose hefty fines -- $500-$800 is typical. In the end I paid a local lawyer $150 to appear and he pleaded with the DA for $450.

Most importantly, in NY State, speeding tickets and points don't transfer in from any other state (unless you don't pay them)

Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I suspect what I have here in Denver is what happens everywhere: traffic generally moves on the highways much higher than the posted speed. We also often have "Construction" areas, where the speed limit may drop from 65 to 45 and fines are doubled if you are caught speeding.

My point to all this is, this allows the police to be fishing in a proverbial bucket when it comes to speeding and to be able to pull over whoever they want at any time they want with Due Cause.

Given we all are driving expensive, fast and flashy sports cars, as compared to the average car on the road, we need to be smart and protect ourselves. If the majority of the time you drive on your highway, the average speed is 10MPH or more over the posted limit, make sure you have the best equipment out there for radar and laser.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:04 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
I suspect what I have here in Denver is what happens everywhere: traffic generally moves on the highways much higher than the posted speed. We also often have "Construction" areas, where the speed limit may drop from 65 to 45 and fines are doubled if you are caught speeding.

My point to all this is, this allows the police to be fishing in a proverbial bucket when it comes to speeding and to be able to pull over whoever they want at any time they want with Due Cause.

Given we all are driving expensive, fast and flashy sports cars, as compared to the average car on the road, we need to be smart and protect ourselves. If the majority of the time you drive on your highway, the average speed is 10MPH or more over the posted limit, make sure you have the best equipment out there for radar and laser.
In the northeast, they designate "safety corridors," where they can then double already outrageous fines. Busybodies...

Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cavsct94
In the northeast, they designate "safety corridors," where they can then double already outrageous fines. Busybodies...
I grit my teeth when I drive through a 45MPH construction zone with traffic moving at 70 and its clear, nobody is doing any work. Talk about crying wolf about a serious safety issue! A guy I went to high school was killed last year working on the highway by a drunk driver.

Last edited by DoninDEN; 12-01-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
I grit my teeth when I drive through a 45MPH construction zone with traffic moving at 70 and its clear, nobody is doing any work. Talk about crying wolf about a serious safety issue! A guy I went to high school was killed last year working on the highway by a drunk driver.
Well, these aren't even work zones. They are just designated "safety zones" where the busybodies have decided that they need to improve traffic safety. Of course, do some research and you find that there aren't any statistically significant improvements in traffic safety in these areas versus those not designated, but revenues sure go up!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:51 AM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
Running on a ramp between two parkways(55 mph limit) at 110 mph & passed an unmarked car. When he put his grill lights on, I jammed on the brakes & pulled over on the shoulder. A warning & no ticket. I was lucky.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 PM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
I was caught 10 years ago doing 59 mph where the limit was 40. I paid 40$. If i was driving with 60 or more i would go on court.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:44 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
LOL, not sure where you live, but reckless driving is a lot less hassle than that. Plus you get a lawyer to take care of it.
I live in CA. As did the person driving.

But at 19, a lawyer was pretty expensive... the driver could barely afford beer and food!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:22 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
19 yrs old. 110mph in a 55mph zone 405fwy 3AM...

got a "driving over 100" , "tailgating" & "speed contest" all in one ticket...2pts

stupid.

judge lectured me for 30 minutes...haha

Old 12-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Wow these are some great stories! My contribution - when I was in college, once I rode my Honda motorcycle from the Bay to LA on US 101. In central CA it's just two lanes, not many cars out, so I gave it a whirl at 95-100, weaving around traffic in the lanes. After about 30 minutes of flying along, I see blinking lights gaining on me, so I pull into the right lane, and he sits on my tail, and I pull over.

He asks me, "Do you know how fast you were going??" I tell him that I wasn't looking at the speedo very much, but did see it say 65. So he writes me up for 65 in a 55 - "you admitted it. I knew you were going at least that fast because you kept getting smaller and smaller when I was following you at 65." Man, he must've tailed me for a while because I kept checking my mirrors...!

I counted that as a lucky break.

Last edited by Scoper; 12-01-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Scoper
Wow these are some great stories! My contribution - when I was in college, once I rode my Honda motorcycle from the Bay to LA on US 101. In central CA it's just two lanes, not many cars out, so I gave it a whirl at 95-100, weaving around traffic in the lanes. After about 30 minutes of flying along, I see blinking lights gaining on me, so I pull into the right lane, and he sits on my tail, and I pull over.

He asks me, "Do you know how fast you were going??" I tell him that I wasn't looking at the speedo very much, but did see it say 65. So he writes me up for 65 in a 55 - "you admitted it. I knew you were going at least that fast because you kept getting smaller and smaller when I was following you at 65." Man, he must've tailed me for a while because I kept checking my mirrors...!

I counted that as a lucky break.
Remember this! This is exactly what the police do when they are asking you questions and the reason I successfully beat my charge in court.

HOW TO BEAT A SPEEDING TICKET - THE BASICS

STEP 1: INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY
If you forget everything else, which is often the case when you are nervous or afraid of an intimidating cop, remember the NUMBER ONE RULE: You must NEVER admit to the speed offence. They are looking for an admission of guilt (in many states and western countries they are now recording your conversation). In my case, I remained silent, since I was not brave enough to say anything else (and it was my right). The textbook answer is to respond with a polite denial of the charge with the acknowledgement the officer's opinion which you do not agree with.

STEP 2: DEFEAT THEIR SO-CALLED 'EVIDENCE'
They will try to bully you with so-called evidence, some even fabricated, with any means at hand. The devices they use; Radar, LIDAR, counting seconds between landmarks, tailing etc..., all of which is NOT SCIENTIFIC PROOF. It is only a subjective judgement made on an objective device; those devices & methods have to be interpreted by a human and therefore not infallible. They must prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that you committed the alleged offence. E.g., LIDAR guns have to be aimed, with reasonable accuracy, even if the machine tells them they have a 'lock', the LIDAR gun does not say "I have locked onto the Porsche". The officer is the one who makes that judgement. (I defeated a LIDAR measurement made by a KUSTOM SIGNALS PRO-LASER III LIDAR gun, even though it was taken in a stationary position on a clear day with no obstruction.)

STEP 3: ALL (WO)MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL
Your defence, should be that you were travelling at the posted speed limit, and that you are a citizen of 'good character' (helps if you don't have a criminal record) and therefore you would not lie to the court. So that it now becomes a matter of 'your word' vs 'the cops' word'... With all things being equal, (which under a fair justice system it should be) you are a good citizen who pays your taxes and you have no criminal record. Why should your testimony have any less weight than that of an individual cop? Your evidence has the same weight of the officer's. The court is now presented with reasonable doubt and under these circumstances cannot convict.

This is what I did in my case last month, in the District Court of NSW Australia, successfully beating a $1800 ticket and a 6-month license suspension for 'allegedly' travelling 100+mph in a 60mph zone.

Of course there are a myriad of laws that apply in the jurisdiction of the state (most of you I assume are in North America), but the same generally applies: You are Innocent until Proven Guilty.

Good luck to you all!
Howie

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what's the fastest you've ever been CAUGHT driving, ad how did it go?