997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wheel Swap & TPMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Wheel Swap & TPMS

I'm thinking of using my lobster forks, which are currently collecting dust, as my winter set. Problem is I only have 1 set of TPMS and don't want to buy another just for my winters, or switch the TPMS back and forth (that would defeat the whole convenience of swapping the wheels myself as needed).

Question for those of you who use more than one set of wheels -- do you just live with the pressure warning / CEL that comes with not having TPMS on your wheels or is there a way to shut that warning off?

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks very much.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:08 PM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
I swapped to lobsters for a few months and of course, when I re-installed my Classics one of the TPMS sensors is dead. I have just been living with the warning for several months now. I searched a bit and there doesn't seem to be a simply DIY procedure to shut them off. I think you can remove the TMPS module yourself which is near the brake fluid reservoir, but the car needs to be recoded at a dealer to remove the TPMS lights.

Can it be done at home via Durametric?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:44 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Why don't you replace the one dead sensor?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:03 PM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
Ive just been lazy. I figure I actually need four, since they are all vintage 06. I am going to wait until its time for new rubber.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:15 PM
runrsd is infamous around these parts
TPMS sensors all run on lithium ion batteries so their shelf life is about 4-5 years or so. You can't replace just one because there's no way of knowing which is the bad one as they're all sealed. Try shoptpms.com, a lot cheaper than the dealership for the same exact part. I ordered a spare set instead of having the donor set dismounted/remounted every time I wanted to change setups.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 PM
911JDB is infamous around these parts
I just purchased a second set of wheels and was wondering were to get another of TPMS's. Thanks for the website runrsd.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:15 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by KonaKai
I'm thinking of using my lobster forks, which are currently collecting dust, as my winter set. Problem is I only have 1 set of TPMS and don't want to buy another just for my winters, or switch the TPMS back and forth (that would defeat the whole convenience of swapping the wheels myself as needed).

Question for those of you who use more than one set of wheels -- do you just live with the pressure warning / CEL that comes with not having TPMS on your wheels or is there a way to shut that warning off?

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks very much.
I could never live with the warning light. I'm too OCD, it would drive me nuts. For my X5, I purchased the sensors from Tire Rack. Price was much lower than the dealer (350 v. 200).

Old 12-08-2011, 06:51 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by runrsd
TPMS sensors all run on lithium ion batteries so their shelf life is about 4-5 years or so. You can't replace just one because there's no way of knowing which is the bad one as they're all sealed. Try shoptpms.com, a lot cheaper than the dealership for the same exact part. I ordered a spare set instead of having the donor set dismounted/remounted every time I wanted to change setups.
It's no mystery, the "bad one" is the one that doesn't show up on your display. But if one battery is gone, the others may follow soon.