997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Battery replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 03:53 PM
evolveC4 is infamous around these parts
Battery replacement

Going on a long road trip, thinking about replacing my battery, any suggestions other than OEM, thinking about an optima battery, but I would need to make a custom bracket. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:55 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by evolveC4
Going on a long road trip, thinking about replacing my battery, any suggestions other than OEM, thinking about an optima battery, but I would need to make a custom bracket. Thanks in advance.
Wal-Mart MAXX 94R - direct size replacement, great warranty and reasonable price.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Bigthistle is infamous around these partsBigthistle is infamous around these parts
Go to Walmart

I think it's the MAXX 94R - about $120ish

Has vent tube. Good as any, easy DIY.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:31 PM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
I got my MAXX94R for about $80 with core swap at wally world. It has been strong and reliable. Direct drop in replacement for the factory battery.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:58 PM
wbellinz is infamous around these parts
The manufacturer of the Walmart batteries is JCI. They are the leading lead acid battery manufacturer in the world. Do not be afraid to buy a battery for your porsche from walmart. I did and the 94R works great.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:33 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
Put an Optima in my 996 worked great. After 5 years replaced it with another before it failed. Tested the old one it still had 50 percent left. I made the hold down out of some plastic I think. Traded it in with a nearly new Optima.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, going to go with the 94R

Old 12-13-2011, 06:25 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
If you really want to fit an Optima, these guys make adaptor plates (high impact plastic or aluminum) -

http://yellowdogmotorsports.com/store.php#special

I have one in my 997 - works great.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks, jhbrennan, I think I going to change back to the optima because of the info you provided me, is the adapter plate easy to install?

Old 12-16-2011, 06:05 AM
Thanks, jhbrennan, I think I going to change back to the optima because of the info you provided me, is the adapter plate easy to install?
Very easy install. You'll have to swap out the postive cable with the longer one provided and IIRC you'll need to get the Red Top 34R (it has the terminals reversed so all the cables will reach).

Old 12-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Ran out of time to get the adaptor plate for the optima, back to the Maxx 94R,
went to WalMart to get it but the battery does not have a vent tube, is it important to vent the 94R battery? Should I get the battery and let the vent
dangle unattached to the battery? There are no venting options for the 94R.
Anyone can help me with this, first leg of my trip starts on Wed at 4am, driving about 950 miles that day.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Ran out of time to get the adaptor plate for the optima, back to the Maxx 94R,
went to WalMart to get it but the battery does not have a vent tube, is it important to vent the 94R battery? Should I get the battery and let the vent
dangle unattached to the battery? There are no venting options for the 94R.
Anyone can help me with this, first leg of my trip starts on Wed at 4am, driving about 950 miles that day.
There are openings on both sides/ends of the 94R for you to use with the OEM vent tube. There should have been some instructions attached to one of the terminals. One of the two openings has a plug in it to use on the side not having the vent tube.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:37 AM
goncookoo is infamous around these parts
Did they change the MAXX 94R battery?

Walmart shows this picture

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-...ttery/16782713

But that does not look like the Maxx 94R battery shown here (scroll to bottom of the page)

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ncement-3.html

The rennlist listed maxx 94R battery seems to have a vent tube attachment (and looks completely different), but the one shown on the walmart website doesnt. Maybe you just cant see it from the walmart picture?

evolveC4, is this the issue you are having? Which battery do you have?

Old 12-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by goncookoo
Did they change the MAXX 94R battery?

Walmart shows this picture

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-...ttery/16782713

But that does not look like the Maxx 94R battery shown here (scroll to bottom of the page)

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ncement-3.html

The rennlist listed maxx 94R battery seems to have a vent tube attachment (and looks completely different), but the one shown on the walmart website doesnt. Maybe you just cant see it from the walmart picture?

evolveC4, is this the issue you are having? Which battery do you have?
My 94R looks like the pictures from the rennlist link - in fact you can see the instructions I referenced on the red plastic square covering the positive terminal and the vent tube cap that you remove from the square and use on the side you don't use for the vent tube. The Wal-Mart photo is different than the MAXX 94R I purchased at Wal-Mart. My purchase was 12 months ago.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:03 PM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
My 94 R vented on the side. It came with a vent plug for one side, and I attached my existing vent tube and adapter to the other side (Passenger side if I recall correctly). I'd just stop by the local wally world and take a look at the batteries on the shelf to be sure. If you do buy, ask an employee to get a fresh one out of the back. Sometimes the visible batteries on the shelf can be pretty old and ratty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery replacement