997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

my "1% dilemma"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:04 AM
sn66p is infamous around these parts
my "1% dilemma"

hello. i'm a longtime lurker on this site. first car was an 07 carrera s, then moved over to a cayman s for a change of pace. now looking at finding myself another 911. i wanted to order a 991, but the value / price proposition is just not palatable for me. almost 120K for an s??? jeez. talking with the fleet manager near me and thinking about a new s or gts. used prices just seem inflated still. what do you guys think about prices for new cars? i'd like to get at least 8-9% off to make it worthwhile. this is not a must buy, just a toy. i'd love to hear some opinions about what you'd do in my shoes. buy new and press for a discount? keep looking for a used 09-10 once prices inevitably fall down. wait and order a 991 once the hype dies down and dealers are willing to discount? not rich, but finances not a problem.

Last edited by sn66p; 12-15-2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: ch
Old 12-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
I'd wait to test drive the 991 and compare it to a 997.2. It's technically a better car, but it's all about driver feel. Do that and then make up your mind

Old 12-15-2011, 02:09 AM
teknostar is just really niceteknostar is just really niceteknostar is just really niceteknostar is just really nice
Its AUD $268,000 for a 991 CS here in Australia.

You are very lucky!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:39 AM
texas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura about
I agree with steve. Sports cars' value is in their look and feel, and both of those are better judged in person.

The decision really depends on what you are going for. Personally, I dont place much value on newness. So I wouldnt get a 991 just because it is new. I also don't really go for deals. I'll negotiate a little so I dont get ripped off, but I wouldnt buy something just because it is offered to me at a better than market price. Unless I planed on re-selling it, then i'd be motivated by a discount.

It sounds like you're a seasoned pcar driver. Have you thought about taking it up a level? Depending on what kind of driving you like to do, I bet a used GT3 or Turbo would be lots fun.

I hope that was helpful. Why do you call it your 1% dilemma?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:45 AM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light

rich people problem

Old 12-15-2011, 10:58 AM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Lol more money more problems well 1% that is

Old 12-15-2011, 11:00 AM
thanks for all your thoughts--this is the best forum. my buddy has a turbo and i thought about it, but the feel is not the same as rwd. also i can't buy another stick, so i'm looking for a pdk. i know we all have our own thoughts (and private jokes) on this matter, but it has to be a car my wife can drive too.

i think i'm with you though, texas355--i don't want to pay msrp for anything. i have owned enough porsches to know the first and second year depreciation hit is painful no matter what the dealers claim. the gts looks tempting and i think i'll explore that option more.

island = correct on the 1% title

Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 PM
a quick update for anyone interested. i've found a 2012 gts in the right color combo. options include sport chrono, pdk, nav. the total msrp ~ 118k. i can get it for 108k. any opinions? does this sound like a good deal?

Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by sn66p
a quick update for anyone interested. i've found a 2012 gts in the right color combo. options include sport chrono, pdk, nav. the total msrp ~ 118k. i can get it for 108k. any opinions? does this sound like a good deal?
It's not the best deal I've heard of, but it's not a bad discount.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 PM
for comparison's sake, what would constitute a 'good deal'? i'm southern cal. thanks. btw, i just saw your thread mseligson and that is a fantastic combo.

Last edited by sn66p; 12-15-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:04 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
You might want to search this forum as well as rennlist. Seems to me I've seen some posts of some pretty huge discounts out there, but I just purchased a new gts cab (ordered) and my discount was closer to what you were quoted. While shopping for my car I spoke with some dealers in so cal and was offered 4 or 5 % off, but when I told them I was offered 7% off in Florida they were willing to match it.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:05 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
For a well-optioned GTS? Yes. Assuming you mean it's a new car and I suppose you do.

Gary

Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IslandS62

rich people problem
Funny but true

I was in the same kind of boat as you, 991s cab or 997 Turbo cab.

I've decided on getting the 991 cab purely because I like the looks.
The fact that it's suppose to be around for the next decade+ help as it allows me to customize and still be "current", unlike the '04 C4S I did that with.
No, this time I'll take a first year "lower" model rather than "upper" last ones.

Only reason I haven't put in an order yet is because I want to see what the different colors do to the car.
Also because I'm not sure how that raised center console is going to affect the position of my right leg (6'4" and currently have my knee kind off over the shifter, which works for me).

I should know by Xmas... it's going to be a long few weeks

Good luck let us know which way you go!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:43 PM
it's a 2012 (new) model, not a demo. options include pdk, sport chrono, plat silver metallic, black interior, pcm-nav 3.0, bose, sirius sat radio, heated front seats, clear taillights, 12 way power seats. this model doesn't have the sport suspension w/ lsd, but i don't really mind that. i would like bi-xenons, however. anybody have some insight on the "standard" lights?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:28 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
it's a 2012 (new) model, not a demo. options include pdk, sport chrono, plat silver metallic, black interior, pcm-nav 3.0, bose, sirius sat radio, heated front seats, clear taillights, 12 way power seats. this model doesn't have the sport suspension w/ lsd, but i don't really mind that. i would like bi-xenons, however. anybody have some insight on the "standard" lights?
Actually, i thought all GTS cars come with bi-xenon. My 2009 C2S certainly did. I thought the only option was to have those follow-the-curve lights, whatever they call that on the order sheet. Never had to fill out that sheet though, so I really don't know.

Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.