997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Clay Bar for Windshield Clarity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 AM
Steven B is infamous around these parts
Try alcohol for tree sap - works like a charm.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:45 AM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
I too have used a clay bar on the windshield for years and it works great. A trick a detailer told me one time was to do it when washing the car and to just use the soapy car wash water in the bucket.
That seems to work fine and avoids any oily residue afterwards.

Walt

Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Using the bar while washing the car is a great idea! Thanks!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Fskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by JB in AR
Using the bar while washing the car is a great idea! Thanks!
Thats what I do but remember to wash the car first otherwise you will be rubbing dirt into your paint.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:00 AM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Fskof
Thats what I do but remember to wash the car first otherwise you will be rubbing dirt into your paint.
Yeah you're right. I would clay after washing and drying. If theres any dirt in the soapy water and youre claying it at the same time you could scratch your car badly. Don't take shortcuts when it comes to detailing your car. If you want to save time use the nanoskin pad or the speedy prep towel instead of clay.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:25 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fskof
I was referring to using it on the windshield, but yes, it should also have been washed first.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 AM
fastm3 is infamous around these parts
Is there a way to clean micro scratches from the windshield? I assume you'd need something slightly more abrasive than a clay bar?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:34 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by fastm3
Is there a way to clean micro scratches from the windshield? I assume you'd need something slightly more abrasive than a clay bar?
Great question. I'll bet Moe in the detailing forum would have the answer (and you might get a free T-shirt for asking).

Old 10-23-2012, 12:16 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by fastm3
This might be a question best asked at the autogeek forums. There's a lot of professional detailers on there.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:57 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Just used the clay bar on my Touareg windshield. Great results.
The drivers side was streaking viciously. I had cleaned the glass pretty aggressively a couple of times. Used Windex and RainX. No change.
Tried the clay after reading this and just before setting off to get a new set of wiper blades....OEM $40. -- That's 40 bucks that never left my wallet.
Cleaned the windshield with Windex first.
Used a little bit of very diluted soapy water and light pressure with the clay.
Did a 1' x 1' section at a time. Folded folded the clay after each section.
Just one small piece of clay. Sliver dollar size x 1/8' thick.
About a 15 minute job. Re-cleaned with RainX after the clay.
Cleaned the wiper blades with 303.
Perfect results. No streaks, no squeaks no problems. Super simple DIY.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Left Hander is infamous around these parts
windshield clay

works great on the glass.

anyone know a source for just clay bars? each time I need more it seems all I can find are the kits with the detail spray, cloth and clay

Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Left Hander

anyone know a source for just clay bars? each time I need more it seems all I can find are the kits with the detail spray, cloth and clay
Yup. Griots. And Advanca Auto has started selling Griots products, so you don't have to order on-line.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:33 AM

chemicalguys.com or autogeek.net

Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 AM
BigEd is infamous around these parts

I've had the same problem in the past, but found them at O'Reilly's last night.