997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Clay Bar for Windshield Clarity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:19 AM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
Clay Bar for Windshield Clarity

Guys,

I was perusing the last Griots catalog and noticed that they are selling a clay bar especially for cleaning windshields-they dyed it blue.

Out of curiosity, I got out my Griots "regular" clay bar and Speed Shine and did my windshield, and wow, it works great.

There has been a lot of sun lately here in Cali, which can be a real hardship, but I am happy to report that clay bar'ing the windshield results in more clarity and noticably less glare and defraction, especially when driving into the sun.

Example:

I parked under a pine tree at work in Menlo the other day and it threw some sap on the windshield and car, which surprised me because it is winter and has been cold, around 40 to 60 F.

Windshield cleaner that I had with me was not effective. In the past I had to really rub with windshield cleaners containing alcohol to get sap off. This time, the clay bar and Speed Shine combo took off the sap easily.

I think I am gonna keep a clay bar and some speed shine in the cars trunk from now on.

Hope this tip helps.

Have fun drivin,

Unclejosh

Old 12-22-2011, 08:22 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Heard this before but never tried, thanks, will give it a shot.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:44 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
interesting, i would have thought claying leaves oily marks on the windshield.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:53 PM
capnollie is infamous around these parts
Wonder if it will create a problem when you have to use your windshield wipers... of course I realize it never rains in S. Cal.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:23 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
I've used the clay bar on my windshield for years and it works great. Just remember to wipe off excess lube.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:26 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
clay bar lube

Originally Posted by djantlive
interesting, i would have thought claying leaves oily marks on the windshield.
Griots Speed Shine serves as lubricant for clay bar so no bar streaks.

Then dry with microfiber towel and you are good to go.

Maybe 5 min job or so and then enjoy the wonder of newfound windshield clarity.

Have fun drivin

UJ

Old 10-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
I was feeling a drag on my cleaning towel when I was cleaning the windshield from the micro layer of environmental pollutants remaining even after using a good glass cleaner. This morning, I tried using a clay bar (Mother's kit), and it worked even better than I could have imagined. Crystal clear and "glass" smooth once again. This will also hopefully extend the life of my wipers.

I had some water spots on my rear window, and it took those right off as well when nothing else I tried worked.

Clay bar is one more thing in a long list of stuff I wish I would have invented.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Poshaman has a spectacular aura aboutPoshaman has a spectacular aura about
I've heard about this as well. I will give it a try next time I wash my car.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I use the Griots Glass Clay whenever I clay the rest of the car.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:17 PM
BigEd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I use the Griots Glass Clay whenever I clay the rest of the car.
Is there a difference in the "Glass Clay" and regular old Mother's other than the color? My glass needs some work.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
There is probably some formulation difference, but I honestly could not have had any better results, and I used the Mother's regular old clay bar and detailer kit. Mother's detailer spray also has a delightful cinnamon scent that I kinda like, too.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:50 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
Supposedly clay is virtually all the same since it all comes from the one company that owns the patent rights. Griots products is not as good as other detailing companies, but it is better than the stuff you find at your local walmart and car stores.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:17 PM
BigEd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hakaida
Supposedly clay is virtually all the same since it all comes from the one company that owns the patent rights. Griots products is not as good as other detailing companies, but it is better than the stuff you find at your local walmart and car stores.
Who's products do you like best?

Old 10-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Fskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to behold
I have always used Griots regular clay bar or the Blue Magic clay bar and always have done all windows. Works great! No need to buy the special clay just for windows unless you have an urge to shop and spend money!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:11 AM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by BigEd
Who's products do you like best?
I like menzerna, chemical guys, pinnacle, dodo juice, and several others. autogeek.net has lots of great car care products from various companies and they have a really good message board for detailing your car. If you have scratches or swirls and need help they will usually tell you how bad it is and what you need to use to fix it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar for Windshield Clarity