997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

About to pass up deal of the century, trade 997.2 to panamera s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 AM
JonasJordan1 is infamous around these parts
About to pass up deal of the century, trade 997.2 to panamera s

Hi guys,

just surfing the web trying to check the value of my car I found a reasonably priced "local Canadian Car" low millage, no accidents 2010 panamera S CPO'ed.
When I was shopping for my 997.2 I kinda always wanted a panamera but didnt want to take the initial depreciation hit so went for the 997.2 carrera S which I NOW LOVE. So anyhow I went ahead and offered a trade, with no money involved: 2009 997.2 c2s meteor 10k in options us car not CPO'ed 21.000 km

And to my surprise the agreed to my offer and supplied the paperwork all I have to do I sign that thing and I have a "new" car. Today I went to "my" local dealer and I appraised the same a trade, but knew there was a difference, yes the panamera had like 7k more in options, so finally we spoke numbers and the salesperson told me $38.000, not only did they offer me 20k less for my car but they also wanted 18k more for theirs. Obviously he is going to adjust the offer by couple of K by tomorrow morning but you get the idea of how crazy this is.

Thinking ALL DAY back and force. I kinda came to the conclusion I have my whole life to drive a car like the Panamera but maybe nothing like the 997.2 (I am 25 married with a child) and this is our only car.
What do you think, am I crazy for walking on this deal?
I drove the car today and was a little underwhelmed by the power, liked the "handling" and absolutely hated the paddle feel of the brakes and accelerator (adjustable? or I guess you get used to it)

Input is as always appreciated

Old 01-05-2012, 11:12 AM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
Keep the C2S, buy the wife a used A4 that is 1 or 2 gens old. IMO, the compromised versions of everything suck. All season tires included. To expect the Panamera to be both a "fun Dad's car" and a the family hauler is to expect a C2S will be a "good family car". Just doesn't happen in the real life world of compromised designs.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Warrior12 is infamous around these parts
Agree with the response. Keep the 997.2, hands-down. The Panamera won't be 2 cars in one, it will do neither job well (no offense meant to any Panamera owner).

Old 01-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the comments, I feel similar, can someone explain me how a dealer can come up with such a deal. I mean I don't see how he would make profit with this.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:52 PM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
There is so much mark up in the panamera. The dealer "hosed" the guy trading it in, and he wants to jump on the "997.2 could be the best" vibe in the current used car market. He believes he can sell yours before the panamera. Just business. The other dealer is treating the deal like any other, winning on both sides, and he likely has more into his panamera. Just business. I never worry about "deals" with cars and boats. They all are bad monetary investments, as they don't pay back in dollars, they pay back in excitement and fun.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
The 911 is a sports car and the Panamera is a sports sedan. Quite different creatures with different purposes. I suggest choosing the car which is the right type for you, rather than focusing on the financial aspect.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MileHigh911
There is so much mark up in the panamera. The dealer "hosed" the guy trading it in, and he wants to jump on the "997.2 could be the best" vibe in the current used car market. He believes he can sell yours before the panamera. Just business. The other dealer is treating the deal like any other, winning on both sides, and he likely has more into his panamera. Just business. I never worry about "deals" with cars and boats. They all are bad monetary investments, as they don't pay back in dollars, they pay back in excitement and fun.
Amen to this^^^. A good deal on a car is simply a state of mind. If you are willing to trade x for y, and you enjoy the hell out of y, then you made a good deal.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by MileHigh911
I definitely consider this as I also feel responsible for the wealth of family especially because I am young, having said that the 911 will most likely hold value better over time, and I feel it could be the car for many more years to come unlike the panamera, which is probably "outdated" "soon". Now I just gotta make sure I won't insult my car asking for trade ins anytime soon

Old 01-05-2012, 01:51 PM
ROD
ROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud of
post this in the Panamera section

*grabs popcorn*

Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Manifold
The 911 is a sports car and the Panamera is a sports sedan. Quite different creatures with different purposes. I suggest choosing the car which is the right type for you, rather than focusing on the financial aspect.
Well I guess as a "family man" the panamera suits me (us) better, but the 911 served us well 90% of the time, we just won't make big roadtrips (but we could rent a car for that if desired I suppose)