997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

IMS retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:34 AM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
IMS retrofit

Has anyone done an IMS retrofit lately? I am seriously considering it since I decided to cash out my 4 year extended "service warranty." I am getting $4k back from the warranty cancellation. I have been quoted $1700-$2000 for parts and labor on the retrofit. I have an 06 C2 made late in the 05 model year. I figure that doing the preventative work is my best insurance at this point.

I have read the threads with no real consensus on whether to do the retrofit or not. Have you done it? What were you charged?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:35 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
I think the cost quoted is the norm.

It's just like risk in the market, warranty coverage, insurance. It depends on each persons comfort level. Only you can decide if the cost is worth the piece of mind.

I had a engine put in my car by PCNA, I have not done the retrofit.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
I've seen a retro fit special advertisement in the SF bay area for $1450 by a forum sponsor. I'm sure there were some conditions - so you are in the ball park. I'll post a link if I can find it. Not sure if the ad was in this forum or another however.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:02 PM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
I was quoted $1350 in he fall. I'd have done it but my car has the newer 06+ IMS bearing. Good chance your car does too. If so your engine will have to be removed and taken apart which will run mega bucks. I had a failed pressure plate so my trans was coming out anyway. At that point the retrofit was oly another $600.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
adrianc is infamous around these parts
I did the IMS retrofit on my 2005 C2S two months ago after discovering a few metal shavings in the oil filter when I undertook a routine service....It was an easy decision. Spend $1500 now on the LN Engineering kit, or 20K down the track when my motor blows....

Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Djork is infamous around these partsDjork is infamous around these parts
Just did mine recently at Flintworks, I would highly recommend them. Alden will take care of you, however they're located in Norcal in Campbell. They had a special for $1250 installed. After you get it done, you can feel a lot more safe when you mash on it on the freeway

Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
Thanks for the input everyone. Any recommendations for a SoCal shop?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GTRR
Thanks for the input everyone. Any recommendations for a SoCal shop?
Flintworks is the shop I was thinking about, but they are too far north. You should give Laura at Hergesheimer Motorsports in Lake Forest off the 5. They do the LN retrofit. I asked to do mine, but my IMS is ok. Honestly, I'm still on the fence regarding the upgrade. But if I have to do my clutch anytime soon, I'll probably do the upgrade. The shop was highly recommended by a number of forum members for service.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:42 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I thought the IMS issue was corrected early year 2005. If so, he does not need to do anything. Is that not right? When was the IMS bearing problem fixed?

Old 01-10-2012, 12:24 AM
dw.metro has much to be proud ofdw.metro has much to be proud ofdw.metro has much to be proud ofdw.metro has much to be proud ofdw.metro has much to be proud ofdw.metro has much to be proud ofdw.metro has much to be proud ofdw.metro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
I thought the IMS issue was corrected early year 2005. If so, he does not need to do anything. Is that not right? When was the IMS bearing problem fixed?
+1 on the above.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 AM
sullivas is infamous around these parts
Anyone know of a skilled shop in CT where thay have experience doing the 05 IMS upgrade but not charging an excessive amount to do it?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 AM
fritzcurtis is infamous around these parts
I recently did the retrofit on my 05 997s. Well worth it. Old IMS came out looking pristine but early 05's were very prone as the have the single row of bearings as opposed the the dual row on the 06's and up. 1400 at my Porsche dealer in Dallas. Clutch, flywheel, etc loked good inside. Also had them do upgraded rear main seal. 37k on my 05 997S. Hope it helps.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Parkcity911 is infamous around these parts
Can anyone recommend a good shop in Salt Lake City to do the IMS that has experience. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 AM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
mine is 06 Model year. how do i know if i need to change the IMS or not.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Everything you need to know (and a bit more) about IMS failures and prevention:
http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IMS retrofit