997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What color should I paint my calipers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
black?

for all those suggesting Black, I think its clear he is looking for a contrast color.. black isn't it. Re-badging your car to reflect a higher line model is the ultimate sin...like adding the M on a BMW that's not an M car.... as far as brake calipers sorry the same does not apply simply based on their color... paint to what you like. Porsche has used yellow calipers before PCCB came out....Red is not solely brakes sold on p cars and seen on many other cars out there...

Go for what you like.... a mexico blue color could be interesting... I went yellow and could not be happier... next car will do light blue.

(none ppcb here)

Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
I did yellow on my 996 and love it. just waiting to do it on the 997...

duplicolor ceramic spray (primer, enamel and clear)

Old 01-09-2012, 08:54 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
few more.....

Nice work on those 996 brakes......Love the yellow against your black lobsters...few more of mine. Black and yellow is such a nice combo

Attached Images   

Last edited by mickfluff; 01-09-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
I kept the black lobsters on the 997. I will paint my calipers yellow in a month or two. I love the contrast.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:42 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Model designation aside...

I think yellow goes well with black car/wheel, red goes well with silver/white car.

My car is silver, and interior is red with silver accent. Love the combo.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Ranger911 is infamous around these parts
Yes, but HOW?

Hey guys, especially JoelP, HOW did you paint the calipers? I have the same question as the OP with respect to HOW to do it; i.e., DIY or professionally powdercoat. (I had my exhaust tips powdercoated black, and they are already flaking off after not very much use.)

I have had some VERY high prices quoted for powdercoating from reputable shops--I mean half of a new set of BBK Brembos (fronts), just for the disassembly/reassembly, powedercoat, high.

I am really curious about the efficacy of painting one's own calipers with the G2 kit. (Your 996 calipers look mint; were those DIY or professionally done by a powdercoater?)

As an aside to the OP, I agree with the general proposition that color choice is purely subjective and choosing one or the other does not a poseur make. Slapping a RUFF badge on the back of a base 911, THAT's posing.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:53 PM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
Forget trying to apply letters, whatever color you choose, they will simply burn off

Old 01-09-2012, 03:04 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jacques1960
Forget trying to apply letters, whatever color you choose, they will simply burn off
I burned my paint on two sets of the OEM Calipers

Old 01-09-2012, 03:04 PM
My calipers were painted by me, with spray cans of duplicolor ceramic hi-temp primer, enamel and clear. (all 3 have to be ceramic and hi-temp!) After the last coat of color, you just apply the the letters and THEN, apply 3 coats of clear. My held on really good... no flaking and no peeling (and no burning the letters) The only thing is that you have to be extra careful not to knock of the calipers while changing a wheel... I did all mine in one day and spent like $40. prep and taping is the annoying part. You can start by doing one side first and another the next day but do 2 axles (same side) at the same time.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:06 PM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
Everyone knows yellow is the new red
I'm stuck with my "stock" red ones...

Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I burned my paint on two sets of the OEM Calipers
stock one burns, one i used to repaint does not. i think it was K2. they are still same red as they were after re-painting.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:38 AM
tips

powder coat, remove clean, paint, decals, re-install your looking at about a grand.....for it done right and again powdercoated not sprayed by can. I have seen some done by can and I have to admit look good... I dont have the patience for that. Powdercoat and you can apply any letters you like and no burn off etc..

To the posted - Your exhaust tips should never have been painted by powder coat, they should have been done with ceramic coating. Mine were done 2+ years ago and look as new black. Seen in pic...

Hope this helps...

Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2012, 05:00 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
If you paint them silver, people will think you put 993 brakes on you car

Old 01-10-2012, 06:20 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
stock one burns, one i used to repaint does not. i think it was K2. they are still same red as they were after re-painting.
I have a set of Calipers that need to get refinished, and rebuilt...maybe I will play with these.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:26 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
paint them any color you would like. you can get any brembo calipers from the factory in black, silver, red or yellow. if you are doing it yourself, use duplicolor hi temp ceramic paint in spray...
I agree, it's your car!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What color should I paint my calipers?