997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wheel Locating Pin / Wheel Mount Guide Bolt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Wheel Locating Pin / Wheel Mount Guide Bolt

I know that Porsche used to include one of these pins with the spare tire when they were including spare tires with the car. Do they actually help in the mounting of the wheel and tire? I found the pin on the Suncoast website and was considering ordering one to aid in changing a tire on the side of the road.
Is it worth adding one to my tire kit?

Also, I was ready to push the order button at Automotion Parts to order a Lug Nut Socket with a soft aluminum center which is used to avoid lug nut damage. Automotion i calling it a SOFT SOCKET ... it's got an outer chrome-moly with a soft aluminum insert to hold the lug nuts. It's not supposed to ruin the lug nuts? Problem is that it's not recommended for the 2009 model???
They specify not to use on the 2009s 911. Kind weird.... any thoughts?

Last edited by jakesdad; 01-09-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jakesdad
I know that Porsche used to include one of these pins with the spare tire when they were including spare tires with the car. Do they actually help in the mounting of the wheel and tire? I found the pin on the Suncoast website and was considering ordering one to aid in changing a tire on the side of the road.
Is it worth adding one to my tire kit?

Also, I was ready to push the order button at Automotion Parts to order a Lug Nut Socket with a soft aluminum center which is used to avoid lug nut damage. Automotion i calling it a SOFT SOCKET ... it's got an outer chrome-moly with a soft aluminum insert to hold the lug nuts. It's not supposed to ruin the lug nuts? Problem is that it's not recommended for the 2009 model???
They specify not to use on the 2009s 911. Kind weird.... any thoughts?
The guide is invaluable - in fact it's easier with 2. The soft socket is worthless - the insert will round off very easily.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
The wheel hanging pin is a must. Two if you have PCCB brakes. The soft socket is intended for the aluminum lug NUTS that were used on the air cooled cars. On the water cooled cars, Porsche went to steel lug BOLTS. You won't damage them with a normal deep well socket. Just put some tape on the outer diameter to protect the inside of the painted bores in the wheels.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
+1 on the pin. Totally made swapping my winter rims/tires so much easier.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 AM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
I don't have the pin and when I changed from summer to winter wheels it is a bit of a pain. The wheel hangs pretty good on the hub itself, but aligning the lug holes is a pain to get right the first time. I can't imagine doing it without really good light. They are only a couple of bucks so I'm sure I'll own a couple before I swap back to my summer wheels.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:18 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
-

Agree. Much easier when you use two of them.

Also, Harbor Freight sells the socket set that won't damage lugs (they have nylon inserts and a plastic coating to protect the wheel). I have used it a few times since purchasing and it does the trick.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:26 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The guide is invaluable - in fact it's easier with 2. The soft socket is worthless - the insert will round off very easily.
One is nice, two really is essential for making this job easier.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:27 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
A track guy told me you could use a threaded pipe nipple too. Never tired it but he said it works and it was cheap.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
There are several versions of the pins. The longer ones made of aluminum tend to droop a bit with a heavy rear wheel/tire. I picked up two, as most agree is best, mine are shorter and tapered . They work great. It's not fun bouncing a wheel off your caliper and putting a big chip in the paint.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:17 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 911cv
Agree. Much easier when you use two of them.

Also, Harbor Freight sells the socket set that won't damage lugs (they have nylon inserts and a plastic coating to protect the wheel). I have used it a few times since purchasing and it does the trick.

Thanks, I'll check out the Harbor Freight catalog... The bolts are painted the wheel color so anything I can do to not crack the paint will be a plus.

Also, Last 911 suggested taping the outside of the socket to prevent wheel damage.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:33 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Buy two metric bolts for ~$1.50 each,
(14 mm x 1.5 mm pitch x ~6” long )
Cut or grind the bolt heads off and wrap some tape around the shaft.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:40 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by na011
Buy two metric bolts for ~$1.50 each,
(14 mm x 1.5 mm pitch x ~6” long )
Cut or grind the bolt heads off and wrap some tape around the shaft.
Other than the satisfaction of DIY, you can save a drive to Home Depot and spend $7.50 more at Suncoast and forget about the labor too.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
+1 on the pin available from Suncoast. I only have one, but I could see where having two might make the job even easier.

Name:  Bothrearsfitfine.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  82.4 KB