997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

braking shimmy in new GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:44 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
+1 on pretty much what Macster said

However before you go to the dealer go out and find a long straight deserted road.....

Get the car up to 80+mph and brake very very hard just tickling ABS...down to 40mph...do this about six times, then do this with medium hard braking.

You should smell some foul orders from the brakes, but now they will have evened up the transfer layer and I bet the brake wobble you feel with be gone.

I track my car alot and swap from stock pads to Pagid race pads for the track...I get uneven pad transfer to the rotors on the street pads from the transfer payer from using race pads. Happens to me too....this is what I do to fix that and with in 15 minutes all is well.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 AM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Dadio
The most common cause of pulsing brakes is improper bedding of the brake pads which deposits pad material unevenly on the surface of the rotors. They aren't warped. Making high speed stops and keeping the brake peddle depressed after the car comes to a stop is another cause which allows the pad material to transfer to rotor. It is the unever deposits that cause the pulsing you feel when you brake. Lots of technical articles on the subject. Re-bed the brakes and avoid keeping the brakes depressed once the car has come to a stop after high speed stops. The link below is informative.

www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphics/Pages/brake_discs.htm
Dadio,
This link just takes me to Moss Motors, but not to the article.
MSeligson

Old 01-14-2012, 09:26 AM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mdrums
+1 on pretty much what Macster said

However before you go to the dealer go out and find a long straight deserted road.....

Get the car up to 80+mph and brake very very hard just tickling ABS...down to 40mph...do this about six times, then do this with medium hard braking.

You should smell some foul orders from the brakes, but now they will have evened up the transfer layer and I bet the brake wobble you feel with be gone.

I track my car alot and swap from stock pads to Pagid race pads for the track...I get uneven pad transfer to the rotors on the street pads from the transfer payer from using race pads. Happens to me too....this is what I do to fix that and with in 15 minutes all is well.
Cool. Thanks. This will be fun.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 AM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
+1 on Macster and Mdrums.
I have no experience in the Pcar with this.
However, it's worked on everything from Triumphs to Audis for me.
Always found that it worked best to let the rotors cool down between hard stops.
Also found that, after several months of city driving, one or two hard slow-downs sharpened up the brake performance and cured any light braking shimmy.
Good luck.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mseligson
Dadio,
This link just takes me to Moss Motors, but not to the article.
MSeligson
I found it by doing a search for "warp brake rotors". It will pull up a good many responses one of which should be from the Moss Motors site and goes directly to the tech article. If you can't find it I'll try typing in the link as opposed to cut and paste.