997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

braking shimmy in new GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:14 AM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
braking shimmy in new GTS

At about 80 mph or so, when I brake, the steering wheel jiggles. Shouldn't it be rock solid while braking, from any speed? What's the most likely cause?

Old 01-13-2012, 12:55 PM
texas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura about
Yes it should be rock solid. It could be a warped brake rotor, or the rotor is uneven.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:09 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
That happened in my then new 2006 Carrera S and the dealer replaced the rotors under warranty because of the extremely low miles due to it being a few months since I bought it. I'm not saying this will apply to you or that this is done in every case but it was so for me. Might be worth to try as, like texas355 wrote, it should be rock solid and likely due to a warped rotor.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:07 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by cibergypsy
That happened in my then new 2006 Carrera S and the dealer replaced the rotors under warranty because of the extremely low miles due to it being a few months since I bought it. I'm not saying this will apply to you or that this is done in every case but it was so for me. Might be worth to try as, like texas355 wrote, it should be rock solid and likely due to a warped rotor.
Yeah. Mine is a month old with only 900 miles.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Atomic is infamous around these parts
have you been tracking the car? Mine did that after a hard weekend at the track took it to the dealership they told me I warped the rotors. I ordered some new ones, I drove it for a while before changing the pads and rotors out. funny thing is it quit after a while?? they asked me if I had held the brakes on when they were hot (at the track) I didn't? I was trying to be careful as far as causing them to warp. I ordered mine from Sonnen Porsche, they had the best price on rotors, pads seemed about the same everywhere.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Mine is rock solid when I brake regardless of speed.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:48 PM
No tracking. No hard driving. Trying to obey the break in period.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:50 PM
ng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Atomic
have you been tracking the car? Mine did that after a hard weekend at the track took it to the dealership they told me I warped the rotors. I ordered some new ones, I drove it for a while before changing the pads and rotors out. funny thing is it quit after a while?? they asked me if I had held the brakes on when they were hot (at the track) I didn't? I was trying to be careful as far as causing them to warp. I ordered mine from Sonnen Porsche, they had the best price on rotors, pads seemed about the same everywhere.
I know on the Carrera S 997.1, the stock brake pads on the track can over heat. When they do, pad material sorta melts and transfers unevenly to the rotors causing high spots on the rotors. This causes the pedal to pulse and feel like warped rotors. When the brakes are cool and if the pad material isn't to heavy on the rotors, a couple of hard applications of the brakes can sometimes clean them off.

Last edited by ng997; 01-13-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
I also think in a recent issue of Excellence discussing track days, the article stressed the importance of NOT applying the parking brake after driving hard because the pads would possibly fuse to the rotors or possibly cause warpage as everything cooled.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
The most common cause of pulsing brakes is improper bedding of the brake pads which deposits pad material unevenly on the surface of the rotors. They aren't warped. Making high speed stops and keeping the brake peddle depressed after the car comes to a stop is another cause which allows the pad material to transfer to rotor. It is the unever deposits that cause the pulsing you feel when you brake. Lots of technical articles on the subject. Re-bed the brakes and avoid keeping the brakes depressed once the car has come to a stop after high speed stops. The link below is informative.

http://www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphi...rake_discs.htm

Last edited by Dadio; 01-13-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mseligson
At about 80 mph or so, when I brake, the steering wheel jiggles. Shouldn't it be rock solid while braking, from any speed? What's the most likely cause?
Yes.

What probably happened is the car sat on the lot and the rotors got rusty. (I use the amount of rust to help me determine how cars are moving off a lot when I am in the market for a car.)

The car was taken out for a test drive and the brakes were applied rather hard and the car brought to a stop. If the brakes weren't used a bit before this the rust is of course removed from the rotors during the hard stop.

The heat and the rust cause some kind of uneven pad material deposition to take place.

The result in the rotor at the place the hot pad (and rotor) were in contact has a different coefficient of friction.

The result in the brakes pulse.

It is highly unlikely this will cure itself. In some cases the rotors can be resurfaced.

In your case the car is new. I would take the car back request the brake behavior be addressed. Do not accept 'they all do that'. If you hear this then insist a similar car be used to take you on a test ride/drive so you can experienced this behavior in another car.

If the dealer balks then come back with that because of the pulsing when using the very safety critical brakes you have lost all enjoyment of the car.

To address this while the rotors could be resurfaced -- it is unlikely the dealer has the facilities to do this -- my WAG is the rotors will be replaced. The pads will probably be reused.

The 'new' brakes will or should be bedded in.

Oh, always when you wash the car be sure to take the car out and drive it enough use the brakes enough to get them hot enough to dry the brakes and keep the rusting to a minimum.

If you have to leave the car outside in the rain always try to use the brakes to scrub off any rust. Avoid bringing the car to a stop and leaving the brakes applied until you have used the brakes enough slowing the car to remove any rust that was present.

With a bit of care the brakes should stop the car smoothly and quickly at 600 miles, 6000 miles, even 60,000 miles, or more. (My 03 Turbo now has over 85K miles on its original brake hardware and the brakes still stop the car on a dime -- from sometimes considerable speed -- and without any drama.)

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
It sounds like a pad material transfer issue. If so a few medium/firm cycles from 65-70 mph to 20-25 mph may eliminate the problem.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Dadio
The most common cause of pulsing brakes is improper bedding of the brake pads which deposits pad material unevenly on the surface of the rotors. They aren't warped. Making high speed stops and keeping the brake peddle depressed after the car comes to a stop is another cause which allows the pad material to transfer to rotor. It is the unever deposits that cause the pulsing you feel when you brake. Lots of technical articles on the subject. Re-bed the brakes and avoid keeping the brakes depressed once the car has come to a stop after high speed stops. The link below is informative.

www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphics/Pages/brake_discs.htm
Thank you. I'll read the article later. I haven't done anything that would be considered even near hard driving but I'll see what they have to say.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Macster
Yes.

What probably happened is the car sat on the lot and the rotors got rusty. (I use the amount of rust to help me determine how cars are moving off a lot when I am in the market for a car.)
Thank you Macster, but the car was brand new when I received it. It was special ordered, went straight form Porsche to the Dealer to me.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:43 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
if a few hard stops don't cure it the dealer will

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: braking shimmy in new GTS