997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help: Replaced HID bulb - Now getting "check dipped beam" error.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:32 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Help: Replaced HID bulb - Now getting "check dipped beam" error.

I so far installed only one Hoen HID replaced bulb, and now I am getting "check dipped beam" error when I turn on the lights and the light goes off after about 30 seconds or so.

I have read a little on this so far and it appears it could either be the connection on the light assembly or the HID bulb.

Anyone with experience on this?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:53 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
I so far installed only one Hoen HID replaced bulb, and now I am getting "check dipped beam" error when I turn on the lights and the light goes off after about 30 seconds or so.

I have read a little on this so far and it appears it could either be the connection on the light assembly or the HID bulb.

I recently replaced mine with the Hoen D2S - no problems on an 08 TT. Did you install both before turning them on. Also you might remove the light housing again and reinstall - maybe needs to be reset??

Old 01-14-2012, 02:32 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Well, I have completely reinstalled the Hoen bulb twice and rechecked all proper connections and install to no avail. Same error. I then decided to reinstall the OE bulb which is Philips and after firing the vehicle up the error went away.

I do not if it is the Hoen bulb or not, but I am not about to waste any more time to figure it out. All I know is that I should have gone with a Philips Ultinon 6000K bulb as replacement to begin with. Hoen are going back. I will have the dealer install the Philips later.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 PM
ecostellodo is infamous around these parts
My checked dip beam error was due to the connection. I cleaned the metal tabs with a pencil eraser and put dielectric grease on the metal tabs, no more error.

I have the stock bulbs in.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:12 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
are you going with a higher watt bulb or just different color?

5000k is the highest color i'd go. 6000 starts to get too blue and is dimmer than 4300 or 5000k. the higher color you go beyond 4300k, the dimmer it gets.

the dip error is probably due to incompatibility between your ballast and bulb or a connectivity issue.

i replaced my stock 35w with a 50w bulb and new ballasts from morimoto on the gallardo. Unlike the 911, the gallardo light is too low and too dim. Hence the upgrade.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:52 AM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
the manfg should not matter as long as it is a d2s

Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Doug_B_928 is infamous around these parts
I had the same message when replacing my HIDs. Although it would light up initially, one bulb was defective and a replacement solved the problem.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Hoen?

Originally Posted by Doug_B_928
I had the same message when replacing my HIDs. Although it would light up initially, one bulb was defective and a replacement solved the problem.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Doug_B_928 is infamous around these parts
Hoen?
I received it from ROTTEC as part of my DRL upgrade, only thing it says on the container is Xenon Super Vision HID. Ray quickly sent me a replacement bulb and all was good.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:44 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I used these on an 08 TT - no problems.
http://www.hoen-usa.com/d2s.htm

Old 01-18-2012, 02:05 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a pair of Hoen HID bulbs and got the EXACT same error message on my 997.2. The bulb would turn off intermittently and would only light back up after a few off/on "restarts." I replaced the Hoen bulbs with another brand, and they worked fine.

I suspect that either Hoen bulbs have compatibility problems with the 997 or they have a high defect rate.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Hoen bubls that I got had no markings on them, no way to tell who made them and where. They only had a Hoen sticker on the outside plastic casing. Very cheap looking.

That's the problem with Companies here advertising things as their own products and in the end you are getting a generic run of the mill components made only god knows where. These items are cheap and are then sold to us at a premium. I will have to start watching out for this as I had an issue with just about every product I purchased from small business sponsors here. In the end it is just a waste of my time to get the items that do not work/look/install as they should and I have no patience to vent about each one of them online.

We drive $100K cars here and if we want a good product then we should just pay for it and buy from a well known manufacturer. Just ordered Ultinon bulbs as I should have from beginning.

I will give Hoen credit for honoring a fast refund.

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
I bought a pair of Hoen HID bulbs and got the EXACT same error message on my 997.2. The bulb would turn off intermittently and would only light back up after a few off/on "restarts." I replaced the Hoen bulbs with another brand, and they worked fine.

I suspect that either Hoen bulbs have compatibility problems with the 997 or they have a high defect rate.

Last edited by DirtyVegas; 01-18-2012 at 02:22 PM.