997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Value as the 991 Debuts...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Tcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by last911
It's car. It depreciates. You're not buying stock in the company. If you think depreciation is going to cause you financial trouble, buy something less expensive.

Sometimes people feel purchasing a Porsche is a financial investment. It's not. You're buying a toy!

Buy it and enjoy it. You could be dead before you know it.
Well put!!! Rep. points to you!!!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Pull the triggger...or wait for the 991 after the intro of 992 or the 992 after the intro of the 993 - there will always be something better.
Hmmm... another 993 is coming

Old 01-16-2012, 10:00 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
Hmmm... another 993 is coming
Allegedly after the 991 Porsche will use a letter, i.e. 9A1 for the next model.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:46 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
I just finsihed a 2 day test drive of the 997.2 at Barbers doing the PDS. My conclusion my slightly modded 997.1 is as good or better than the average 997.2 unless you want PDK.

The original sticker on mine was approx 105 a similar equipped 991 with a with PDK and PDCC would be over 130K with that kind of inflation the 997 should hold there value better after the initial wave of upgrades to the 991. IMO

Old 01-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
There are going to be a lot of 997.2 and earlier cars coming on the market with the release of the 991. Take a look at the posts here. Almost everyone that has ordered on is coming out of a 997, and all those are going to be on the market soon. The nature of the Porsche market now is that for many buyers these are toys that they upgrade every couple of years, and this is particularly true when a new model comes out. So the selection of 997's should be very good over the next year or so, lots of low mile cars coming in off of leases or just being traded in, and the direct market should be good for the buyers too.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:00 PM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
Little to quick on the rep points.

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Well put!!! Rep. points to you!!!
The statement, while true, is off point from the OP's initial inquiry as I and I believe most people understood it. The question presented was should I wait to purchase a 997. Specifically, will 997's drop in value in a manner like the 996 did after the release of the 997 and should I therefore wait until the 991 is actually released to save some money. I believe the answer is yes. I think the release will depress the value of the 997, particularly the 997.1's. Probably some great deals to be had there. I own a 997.1 and I'm not kidding myself into believing its going to retain its value relative to my purchase price but I (and I think most people on this board) didnt look at it as an investment. I've been thinking about getting a 997.2 and have put off the purchase for this very reason - mitigate a near-term foreseeable loss. Good luck w/your purchase.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
I will chime in here since I just bought my 09 997.2 C4S a month ago. While I did save a ton of money over a new one, I have really not seen the kind of price drop on the 997.2's that I thought would occur. In fact, when I bought my car I priced out the car on Kelly blue book and Edmunds right down to the last option. That was about 5 weeks ago. Since then my car has went up on both of them almost 1k. Why? I have no idea, but I put the exact same options in the exact same why and it went up $850 on one and $920 on the other. That was two days ago.

What it really comes down to is what YOU want. Right now and probably for the next year and a half, a "good deal" on a 991 will be impossible to be had. It's new, redesigned and dealers hang on to them like The One Ring. Inventory should be decent enough and the "newness" worn off in 2013 to start getting decent discounts, but no sooner. You can however get a great deal on a new or cpo'ed 997.2 right now. If you think the new 991 will be infinitely better, then order and pay full price or wait till 2013. If you think the driving characteristics will be evolutionary and you like the looks of the 997.2, then you are burning valuable time. Go now and buy one before they are gone. Personally I would buy my 997.2 over again in a heartbeat. I saved exactly 40k off the MSRP of my car and got 4 years 2 weeks cpo warranty, more then a new car!

For me the elevated shifter and Panamera interior is just not doing it for me, but that's personal preference. The engines are very similar and so is the transmission on the new 911 so it's NOT like going from a tiptronic to PDK which I agree definitively would of been worth waiting for. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:23 PM
spoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dharn55
There are going to be a lot of 997.2 and earlier cars coming on the market with the release of the 991. Take a look at the posts here. Almost everyone that has ordered on is coming out of a 997, and all those are going to be on the market soon. The nature of the Porsche market now is that for many buyers these are toys that they upgrade every couple of years, and this is particularly true when a new model comes out. So the selection of 997's should be very good over the next year or so, lots of low mile cars coming in off of leases or just being traded in, and the direct market should be good for the buyers too.
I hope you're correct. I've been watching the market for about a year now and have passed up a couple cars since the price point wasn't there. The best recent deal I've found is an 06' Carrera S with 30k miles and high options ($109k) for $47k which I may jump on .

Old 01-16-2012, 05:59 PM
JPSJR is infamous around these parts
I bought my car in May/June of last year, 08 911CS Silver w/ Red Full Leather Extended, 6sp, Nav, Bose, PASM, 19" Turbo Wheels, Lumenated Entry Door, and Etc. with 5,100 miles on the Speedo and I paid $69,700 with Taxes & DMV/Fees. Many people thought I paid to much, but when I look around now I see the same car equipped the same many without full leather and 15-20,000 miles going for $64-67,000. I agree that if you bought a 997.1 or 997.2 and think it wasn't going to take a hit once the 991 comes out your crazy. I feel that those cars will maybe lose 8-10% more over all once you see more 991 cars out on the road. After that you will see these cars level off and stay in the high fifty to mid sixties depending on mileage and wear and if it's cpo'd. Again to the OP, you will save 10-12% if you wait until June/July/Aug time frame. Good Luck!!

Old 01-16-2012, 06:39 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
This is a tough one to predict. Cars will depreciate, will it depreciate like the 996, probably not as bad, since the 996 is fugly (sorry 996 owners).

Pure speculation/food for thought... I would guess people who buy these cars new flip them before the warranty expires. The only 997.1 with warranties left are CPO 997s. And while those people may be looking to upgrade, they're not going to buy new since they are sensible people who bought CPO to begin with. As for the 997.2, there weren't that many of them sold. But yes some people will upgrade when their warranties expire. What does it all mean... who the **** knows.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:59 PM
dolce is infamous around these parts
I have been searching for an 09' 4s cab on a weekly basis since June. These cars have maintained value (and arguably have gone up in value) since then. My price point is lower than market, so for me it's just a waiting game until they come down to my price point. Someone on this board just picked one up for 67 and change, which I was happy to see (sorry existing owners), therefore I'm feeling good about finding something soon. One thing his car didn't have that is a must for me is full leather.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:01 PM
CH1
CH1 is infamous around these parts
The 997 is a lot of car for the money. That will hold true now and ten years from now. Buy something to drive now. There may be a larger ised997selection this summer as some move along to the 991.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 PM
RS4-Brian is infamous around these partsRS4-Brian is infamous around these parts
Great input here guys. I know the car is going to depreciate but if I can wait 5 months and save $5k I'll take it...that's an exhaust, a couple of track days, and some tires! Anyway, if the deal is right hopefully my next thread is a "here's pics of my new 997" post.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:13 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I would chime in that a used 997.2 is not going to drop a lot in price after the 991 comes out. Perhaps there will be a few more in the market, but there is also a fair amount of pent up demand, which seems to keep the used prices pretty high. But, that new 991 is going to cost a LOT more than the outgoing car. Question will be, is the $100k car buyer insensitive to spending $120+k? Maybe, but at some point, everyone is price sensitive. The used 997.2 will be decently under 6 figures. The new 991, well above. I think this is a breaking point for many and is likely to create plenty of demand on both sides.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Originally Posted by ryem3
Question will be, is the $100k car buyer insensitive to spending $120+k? Maybe, but at some point, everyone is price sensitive. The used 997.2 will be decently under 6 figures. The new 991, well above. I think this is a breaking point for many and is likely to create plenty of demand on both sides.

Exactly right.

My car had an MSRP of $124,750 when sold 12/31/09 <LOTS of options>. When I bought it a month ago it had 5700 miles, was CPO'ed giving me 4 more years of warranty, and I paid 85k on the nose. That's $40,000 in money saved for the same warranty and only 5700 miles. Would I now pay $124,750 for a new 991 with the same options?

Not on your life.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Value as the 991 Debuts...