997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Rear Right Dectane LED lights keep going out intermittenly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Djork is infamous around these partsDjork is infamous around these parts
Rear Right Dectane LED lights keep going out intermittenly

Tried doing a search but couldn't find anything.

I've had my Dectane lights for a few months now, out of no where as I'm driving at night, i get a dashboard error saying my rear right light is out. So I turned off my lights as I'm driving really quick and turn it back on. Works fine again, then about 2 minutes later the error comes back sometimes its 5 minutes later.

I then swap the resistors from my left to the right and vice versa. Works good again for about 3 days with no errors. I drive home from hockey last night and bam it goes out again. This only happens at night. During the day it works fine with no issues (braking, signal)

Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas what I should do? Get a new resistor?

UPDATE: for future reference, it was the tail light itself, I RMA'd the light and received a new one. It's been now working flawlessly for 3 months.

Last edited by Djork; 05-14-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:54 PM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Djork
Tried doing a search but couldn't find anything.

I've had my Dectane lights for a few months now, out of no where as I'm driving at night, i get a dashboard error saying my rear right light is out. So I turned off my lights as I'm driving really quick and turn it back on. Works fine again, then about 2 minutes later the error comes back sometimes its 5 minutes later.

I then swap the resistors from my left to the right and vice versa. Works good again for about 3 days with no errors. I drive home from hockey last night and bam it goes out again. This only happens at night. During the day it works fine with no issues (braking, signal)

Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas what I should do? Get a new resistor?
i got the error last week and stayed for for 2 seconds "Right Brake light out". never had the issue again.

Looks like the issue with your resistor. have you tried adding the extra set of resister (mine came with a extra set)on the problematic one?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:36 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
I deleted the rear fog light that gave me a error sux cause i loved driving with it on haha. Or get a resistor

Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Mikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to behold
Is the light actually not working?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Djork is infamous around these partsDjork is infamous around these parts
The light actually works, it just when I turn them on at night it will go out after about 5 minutes of driving. I did install the extra resistor initially. I also swapped the resistors from the other side hoping it would follow to see if the left light would go out, however it's still the right side. So bizarre

I'm going to try replacing the resistor any ways. What doesn't make sense is during the day I drive with no issues, brake lights work, signal works. It's only when I'm driving at night it triggers the error. Hopefully a new resistor will do the trick, but it's a slim chance since I swapped them and it didn't follow to the left side.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:08 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
make sure the connectors are tight. I didn't install the extra resistors they sent... no problems so far.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:14 PM
wingnut2u has a spectacular aura aboutwingnut2u has a spectacular aura about
Not quite the same but every time I start my car I get check right and left brake light but all I have to do is tap the brakes and it goes away.

I hope you get your issue figured out.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 AM
frontside720 is infamous around these partsfrontside720 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by carrera997re
I deleted the rear fog light that gave me a error sux cause i loved driving with it on haha. Or get a resistor

I just installed some led taillights and I'm getting the rear fog light is out error. How did you "delete" the fog light an get rid of the error?

Thanks,

Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 PM
flkeysrealtor is infamous around these parts
Drivers side tail light turning off intermittenly

My driver's side tail light is giving me the same problem...turns off after a few minutes of night driving.
GOODSTUFFS - SS <lee@speedstersource.com> sent me a new resistor but no luck. Also tried both resistors from the passenger side and still no luck. I am waiting for Lee to answer to see what the next step is since my lights were purchased in 12/11.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
I just put a piece of tape on one of the bulb prongs it works fine And the bulb lights up and no error codes

Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM
flkeysrealtor is infamous around these parts
Depo Rear LED Light

Had issue with driver's side rear light. lee@speedstersource.com has been of little help in correcting the fault. I will keep you all posted should he come through. As off right now I can not recommend their product....

Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
Garbage product. Mine went out and could not even buy another drivers side light. I tried and got no response. Would not purchase their product.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:33 PM
OCT
OCT is infamous around these parts
Is there any good led tail on the market?
I would like to get one but I just keep reading those bad bad quality

Old 02-21-2013, 07:24 PM
SecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant future
From what I've gathered there are three:

* Dectanes/Depos. Most OEM look. Some issues as documented here.
* Rottecs/also sold by DelReyCustom. Occasional issues, resistors seem to sort it out... so far.
* Spyder. Everyone says crap quality.

I wish I understood a little better exactly why they fail like this. I would guess it has something to do with the CANBUS system in the car, but I don't know a lot about that. Frankly there is no reason for any LED to burn out within even the first 5 years of use, LEDs generally have massive MTTFs.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:01 PM
holto01 is infamous around these parts
I am having the exact issue with my driver side light. It goes out only when the driving lights are turned on. Not issues during the day. I also turn the lights of for a few seconds and then turn them back on and they will stay on for a while until they go out again.

Has anyone found out what is causing this?

Thanks in advance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Right Dectane LED lights keep going out intermittenly