997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Painted my calipers today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
this is a spray on application. "ceramic" paint...
the calipers stay on the car... I will post a series of visual photo steps for you all to see.
these are now on my 997 but I did it on my 996... 86,000 miles later, still looked like when the day I painted them... very durable.
You painted them on the car....how is that even possible....can't wait to see the DIY pics.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:35 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Formatting the pictures for the DIY pictorial...

Old 01-25-2012, 04:14 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Here is the little tutorial to paint the calipers while they are still on the car...

This is to what we started off. (it's much easier if you start from your fading black calipers!) the PO probably used a G2, brush on paint and just placed the PORSCHE stickers on top.

After two hours of sanding/scrapping/removing applying any cleaner/remover, we get to this:

This is bare metal... perfect!

The next step is to wrap the front end using a black plastic bag. You make a small hole at the bottom of the bag and then squeeze the caliper to being exposed thru the hole. The bag, you use it to wrap the rotor and all what's behind

Using tape, you cover the pad/sensor cable and dust caps.

I didn't take a picture of the priming step.... (sorry!)

When painting with ceramic engine paint, you are limited to time... you have to be very precise on the coats intervals and between primer/enamel/clear. those times are critical...
Lay the primer with a light coat, wait 10 minutes, another light coat, wait 10 minutes and then apply a wet coat. You are done with primer. Wait 30 minutes and do the same for your color ceramic engine paint and finish with the clear in the exact same fashion... One tip... make sure paper/plastic/whatever doesn't end sticking to the drying paint... if that happens, you are in for a surprise!

Once you are done with the color stage, wait 2 hours to make sure the paint is some how cured and apply your sticker. Make sure you align it correctly and face it correctly. there is no going back at this point. Once done, proceed to apply the clear. The advantage to doing the sticker under the clear and that it looks like under glass and become part with the caliper intend of peeling out later on the road.

Once the clear is cured, step back and admire your creation... it is like glass!

No brush marks, no smears or runs... just perfect and all for $40 and 2 days of hard labor

This is not for everybody but it's a very rewarding job. The "speed yellow" color of the calipers remain me of my now gone SY 996 and provides the right amount of color to an otherwise murdered out, 997, while matching the yellow seat belts that I will order from Ryan at Suncoast Motorsport!

I don't wanna get into the debate of yellow is for ceramic and red is for 997S... It's your car and it should please you, not anybody else (well, maybe your wife a little!)

Last edited by JoelPirela; 01-25-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:27 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Major kudos!.. Your calipers look better than some I've seen that have been powdercoated. Now you have me thinking..

Can you describe the priming process in detail.

If I knew how to give you rep points, you'd definitely get one!

Old 01-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Priming is like applying any of the other coats... Just lay a light coat that covers all the surface of the caliper and wait 10 minutes. then apply another light coat. wait 10 minutes and then lay a wet coat of primer. You are done with the primer. Wait 30 minutes and then apply your color.

All products should match: hi temperature ceramic engine primer, hi temperature ceramic engine enamel (this is your color of choice... in my case is called "Daytona Yellow" and hi temperature ceramic engine clear (glossy)

Old 01-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
I dig those black Lobster Forks

Old 01-25-2012, 05:21 PM
yes, I embraced the love for lobster forks early on my 996 ownership (these where installed on my 996) and as soon as I got the 997, I switch 'em over. I know we are a minority around here!

Old 01-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Former Vendor
Ryan@AfterFX is infamous around these partsRyan@AfterFX is infamous around these parts
Looks like a great job.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Abdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the rough
Joel, brother, YOU are my idol! LOL! Getting my wheels on my car tomorrow, and h&r springs...(can't wait!!!!).
Next will be the rear dectane lights, followed by the front LED's. If I may, I would like to have you "assist" me with that project....I will go to your place if you want. I really want to start getting my hands "dirty" with my car! Not to mention the $$$ I will save on labor! Plus, we can hang out and talk cars, watches, guns.....etc!!!! What do you say?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 PM
RS4-Brian is infamous around these partsRS4-Brian is infamous around these parts
Super job and a great do it yourself job for just about anyone. Looks great!

Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Vintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura about
Looks amazing!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
That is really amazing....how di you prep the surface and get it so clean. Also, how did you prep and paint the backside. Looks like you got some overspray as well....did you not worry about that too much?

I may actually do this on my Merc as well.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:00 AM
hey Abdon! don't forget to post pictures of your champion wheels!!!!! it's a deal! I can go to your place, so don't worry... (I do house calls... I' really trying to create a group of porsche lovers that can hang together and work on the cars, talk and share knowledge... just let me know when you are ready... I'm pretty clear Friday/Saturdays and Sunday's! let's do this!

in regards of surface preparation, patience, razor blades, sandpaper and lot's of elbow grease is key. I painted both sides. the back takes a little yoga/contortionist experience, but still is doable. the overspray is minimal using ceramic spray paint and everything got protected by the plastic sheet and paper covering I used. 80 of the car was covered during this process... none of the overspray landed on the car's surface...
thanks again for the kind words and Abdon, we got a deal, just let me know when you are ready.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:52 AM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
hey joe,

what size PORSCHE stickers will fit base carrare calipers(non S model) ?
3 inch or 4 inch?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by ksdprasad
hey joe,

what size PORSCHE stickers will fit base carrare calipers(non S model) ?
3 inch or 4 inch?
my stickers are 3.5, right in between. I don't know if xenonmods is still selling those, but I got 6 stickers for $10 at ebay (where I bought the ones I did on my 996 4 years ago...)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Painted my calipers today...