997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Painted my calipers today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:02 PM
BSB911TT is a jewel in the roughBSB911TT is a jewel in the roughBSB911TT is a jewel in the rough
WOW!!! It looks SOOOOO Good. I love the Yellow on your murdered out 911. Great Job and Great step by step pics. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:45 AM
socalbd has a spectacular aura aboutsocalbd has a spectacular aura about
You sprayed that all with a gun? Any tips on mix, reducer, etc? It's been years, but I suppose it's time...where did you source the paints? Brands?

Thx!

Old 01-27-2012, 01:46 AM
675Rider is infamous around these parts
wow, GREAT job! I know what I am doing this weekend!!!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:04 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
paint is duplicolor hi temperature ceramic engine spray cans, available at your auto parts store. you need to get primer, your color of choice and clear coat... all the same brand/type (don't mix and match paint types or brands) the valve that comes with the can is good enough!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
that's one hell of a job ! great work !

and point for u for documenting it.

one q:
for novices, wouldn't it be easier to just take off the calipers and paint them ? i know i personally would not feel confident spraying anywhere near the car, taped up or not. lol

Old 01-27-2012, 12:35 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
the good thing is that this kind of paint doesn't overspray that much and it dries if it's airborne for more than 12 inches... but I understand your concern.... it's like getting shot while wearing a bulletproof vest... trust me I have a black car!

you could take your calipers out, but then you are going to have to deal with bleeding the lines, which I rather not...

one thing to keep in mind, I wouldn't recommend the power coat route. I spoke with a brembo tech and he told me that all the bbk they provide and all the supply to the manufacturers are painted and not power coated, since power coat provides a heat barrier, meaning that the caliper can't shed heat and it actually gets trapped between the aluminum and the coat. the also told me that they use some proprietary ceramic paint....
thanks!

joel

Old 01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
socalbd has a spectacular aura aboutsocalbd has a spectacular aura about
BTW, aluminum foil is a great way to mask off odd shapes. Holds well and comes off easily. Little tape on the finer edges. I could see it working in this application as well.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:45 AM
recent pictures... I like the little slash of color...

Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
D'oh! Wish I wasn't such a "Homer" at doing things like that! Looks great!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Vladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura about
Looks fantastic!! Do you have the link to ebay seller?

Thanks

Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 AM
This is the link for the stickers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320655520248...84.m1497.l2649

Thanks!
joel

Old 02-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Vladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
Thanks for the link!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 PM
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Looks great! And the logo is spot-on!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Thanks!
joel

Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 PM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
paint is duplicolor hi temperature ceramic engine spray cans, available at your auto parts store. you need to get primer, your color of choice and clear coat... all the same brand/type (don't mix and match paint types or brands) the valve that comes with the can is good enough!
how many color & clear coat cans needed for this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Painted my calipers today...