997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

First 911 - Dream to reality!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:01 PM
zer0-60 is a jewel in the roughzer0-60 is a jewel in the roughzer0-60 is a jewel in the rough
First 911 - Dream to reality!

Well it's finally here... since I was 12 years old I've been dreaming of this day. I never imagined I'd ever truly own a Porsche -- and a 911 at that... and in the color combination I fell in love with early on

Here's the story... Up to the beginning of January 2012 I had only ever sat in a 1989 944T when I was 14.. and that was a ride of a lifetime. From then on, I dreamed, doodled through school, collected Porsche die-cast models and when I started working I kept a few on my desk at work to keep me motivated over the last few years. But up to that point I still had never sat in a 911... Over Christmas 2011, I was checking out the Pfaff Porsche (Toronto) used inventory when a window popped up and said "BOOK A TEST DRIVE NOW". I said, "why not, I'm on holidays, might as well validate whether I should keep dreaming or let it go forever!"

Maurizio Gatto (sales) called me the next day and we booked an appt to look at an 2004 996 C4S (arctic silver, cabriolet /w hard top), and a pristine 2005 997 Carrera, guards red with full tan leather interior and done up like a Carrera S.. What an exhilaration experience. After testing both cars I was on cloud 9 and knew someday I had to own a 911...

I did some research and realized the red 997 was priced well and nothing I found came close to the value it offered. It had all the options an S would sport at the price of a bare-bone C2 (Chrono, PASM, sport exhaust, NAV, 19" wheels, red calipers, etc).. I had to go see it again and compare it to a similarly priced C2 with similar mileage but with none of the bells & whistles..

I gave Maurizio a call and asked to check both cars out, and he said someone had booked a 1pm appt that day to do the same and he was ready to make an offer. Since the red Carrera was so much more of a car for its price, he knew it would be gone but said I was welcome to check it out again. When we arrived, the 1pm appointment was a no show, so we looked at both cars in the garage to compare. There was no competition - the red Carrera was mint, had only 33k kms (vs. 45k), and frankly was the car I dreamed of when I was younger. Maurizio offered another test drive, and in my mind, I had already made the decision to purchase this car.... but wanted to take it out one more time, just to be sure. As went to grab the keys, the 1pm appt shows up and his sales rep had already snatched the key..... I was devastated..... but before I had time to get too upset, somehow Maurizio managed to convince the other sales guy to let us take a spin first

We blasted off quickly... we took it around the industrial park, then up the highway for 10min... What a crazy car... I can't imagine a turbo or needing anything with more power... the car handled like it was part of me ---- it drove effortlessly; if I wanted to go faster, it was already there (and well beyond the posted limit)... if I wanted to switch lanes, all I had to do was flick my wrist and slide across, as if I was one with the road... words just can't describe how amazing of an experience I had driving this car, which was the first 997 I had ever driven.

After my adrenaline lowered, we drove back to the showroom where the 1pm guy was waiting patiently.... You could tell he wanted it. I had to either pull the trigger or let her go forever... So as the other guy pulled away in "my car", I sat down with Maurizio, made the offer and we closed the deal on the spot With a car like this I couldn't afford to hum & haw! After a little paperwork and a handshake, the deal was done and I picked up my baby a week later from Pfaff - home now, tucked away in the garage. It's winter so a little difficult to take her out, but I routinely go out to sit in her before bed just because I still can't believe this car is in my garage!!!

I really am looking forward to the months ahead driving solo, or with my wonderful wife and beautiful baby girl in the back seat.. And to all those guys who have been there, I hope you can relate to my experience and level of excitement, and that you too can think back to the day when you made a lifelong dream become reality.

p.s. If you're going to Pfaff, ask for Maurizio Gatto -- he has been with Pfaff for over a decade and really knows his stuff... super friendly, a family man, and just an all-around nice guy. Very low-pressure sales professional; he really wants to help find the right car for you. I can't praise his work enough, truly a great guy to deal with and I'll definitely be going back to him when it's time to buy the family a Cayanne! Let him know Justin says hi Maurizio Gatto - Pfaff Porsche - (905)850-4551 - (C): (416)898-4133 - Email: mauriziogatto@pfaffporsche.com

Attached Images     

Last edited by zer0-60; 02-02-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
Had a similar dream, and picked up my first 911 early last year. Nothing like it and you won't tire of it. Enjoy and congratulations.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 PM
home7271 is infamous around these parts
Awesome! Congratulations.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Flipnitized is infamous around these parts
Congratulations! Hopefully one day I'll have a similar story to tell!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Retrofunk is infamous around these parts
Congrats....pics? In the last two weeks I just took delivery of a 997.1 cab s, wonderful car -although I have yet to drive it, ruptured Achilles tendon - my journey was via m3's, two caymans ( kept the 2009)...but living vicariously through my wife driving its been great....3 months to go and I can drive it.....enjoy it.....the wait is worth it! Again, congrats....great post.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 PM
ENV² is a jewel in the roughENV² is a jewel in the roughENV² is a jewel in the rough
congrats, im on my quest toward my dream of a Turbo lol

Pics?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Cyberous997 is infamous around these parts
Congratulations!

It's amazing what a lasting effect these cars can have on us! I think the "test drive" is the death of us, I know I was hooked in under 5 miles!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 AM
p's pcar is infamous around these partsp's pcar is infamous around these parts
Nice story. I still sometimes can't believe my C2S is sitting in my garage, and I've had mine for 14 months now! And as others have said, post some pics.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:55 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Indeed great feeling...good job. Except too many words, and no pics.lol

Old 02-01-2012, 04:19 AM
zer0-60 is a jewel in the roughzer0-60 is a jewel in the roughzer0-60 is a jewel in the rough
Added pics to original post, as requested
Dealer photos... wish my garage was that big & clean!!!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:58 AM
Originally Posted by Flipnitized
Congratulations! Hopefully one day I'll have a similar story to tell!
Sometimes you just have to make it happen if it is TRULY important to you!!! And it doesn't hurt to start socking a few dollars away here and there... these cars can be pricey :-)

Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 AM
Originally Posted by Cyberous997
Congratulations!

It's amazing what a lasting effect these cars can have on us! I think the "test drive" is the death of us, I know I was hooked in under 5 miles!
LOL - my father warned me.... once I tested one it would be in my system forever... I told him it's already been in my system for the last 18 yrs

Actually my parents couldn't even believe I was serious when I told them I was just LOOKING at these cars at the dealer... I come from a small town out in Nova Scotia, not many P-cars in my home town neck of the woods

Old 02-01-2012, 05:14 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Congrats. Your story echoes so many others. I got my first Porsche last year (911) and love it so much that we decided to get another Porsche (Cayman R). Kind of surprising how much cars can enhance our lives in a way that other material things can't.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
What a wonderful story. Very happy for you, OP. Wish you the best in your experiences in the car. Remember that the daughter is going to become habituated to the Porsche brand now as well...

Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
What a wonderful story. Very happy for you, OP. Wish you the best in your experiences in the car. Remember that the daughter is going to become habituated to the Porsche brand now as well...
Same issue in our family, and we keep reminding her she may or may not be able afford such things, depending on her career choice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First 911 - Dream to reality!